Author Topic: REJECTED: Feature Request: Allow rulers to change government type at will  (Read 5124 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Title: Allow Rulers to change Government Type at Will

Summary: Give rulers the option to change the government type of their realm between Democracy, Republic, Monarchy, and Tyranny at the click of a button.

Details: Currently rulers can customize all aspects of their governments. They can change between elections for all 4 council positions and appointments for them. They can decide whether they as ruler have to run in elections and how often. They can determine the titles of all 4 council members of their realm including themselves. They can even choose whether a position is "strong or weak" in power. Rulers can create a Monarchy in everything but name and still have the government type of their realm state "Democracy." This not only doesn't make any sense, it is prohibitively counter-productive towards ease of understanding of game mechanics.

Benefits: Improve simplicity of game mechanics. It allows the visual response given to players to reflect in-game truth and maintain a proper situation. In addition, this prevents situations where new players create a character in a "Republic" but it turns out to actually be a Monarchy. This will prevent these new players from simply leaving the game and being frustrated because they wanted to play in a Republic but ended up in a Monarchy where the ruler names himself "King" and doesn't hold elections. Everything is appointed and nothing of the realm reflects an actual republic. This change also prevents the need to abuse game mechanics in order to change government systems as they currently are. Right now, if I want to change my government system while ruler I have to commit at least 3-step set to abuse game mechanics. 1. Step down as rightful sovereign (objection to realm mergers). 2. Put a "placeholder" ruler into power. 3. Lead a rebellion against this newly appointed ruler and then get rid of their ban after they are kicked out of the realm. Only then can I change the government system.

Possible Exploits: You can trick players in the opposite manner. You could make your realm a Monarchy to attract monarchy players but then run the realm as a Republic. Or any other combination of mismatches. But this is less of a fault of my proposal and more the current system.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:58:01 AM by egamma »
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."