Author Topic: I Hate Food  (Read 62928 times)

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: I Hate Food
« Reply #255: June 06, 2013, 04:56:26 AM »
I have one dislike for food though. Our unit Provision rise up very very very slow... Especially when you want TO a region, that particular region is always starving. And there is no mechanism to transfer food to that region while doing TO, which ensure that we need have enough Provisions for our unit to last as long as the ongoing TO period. Even when we are in food producer regions, the Provision still rise slowly. And Healers do not always do the trick to heal the starving ill soldiers among your men. I have experienced a few times where my unit has been cut down to last men after Provision run out, when TO is finally concluded. Dislike the dedicated to work attitude of me inside my character trait :P
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #256: June 06, 2013, 06:50:45 PM »
I have one dislike for food though. Our unit Provision rise up very very very slow... Especially when you want TO a region, that particular region is always starving. And there is no mechanism to transfer food to that region while doing TO, which ensure that we need have enough Provisions for our unit to last as long as the ongoing TO period. Even when we are in food producer regions, the Provision still rise slowly. And Healers do not always do the trick to heal the starving ill soldiers among your men. I have experienced a few times where my unit has been cut down to last men after Provision run out, when TO is finally concluded. Dislike the dedicated to work attitude of me inside my character trait :P

Just be glad we actually have provisions. They are a relatively new innovation (maybe you already knew that, but I don't know how long you've been playing). Before they were implemented, your men just starved instantly when they entered a starving region. At the extreme (in a region where starvation had reached maximum effect) you could lose well over half of your unit the same day you moved in.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #257: June 07, 2013, 12:07:26 AM »
So get food before starvation sets in. You don't wait until cupboards are bare before you go shopping. That reminds me...I need to go shopping.
Spoken like a strong independent member of the first world who don't need no harvests and caravans.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #258: June 07, 2013, 02:24:56 AM »
Just be glad we actually have provisions. They are a relatively new innovation (maybe you already knew that, but I don't know how long you've been playing). Before they were implemented, your men just starved instantly when they entered a starving region. At the extreme (in a region where starvation had reached maximum effect) you could lose well over half of your unit the same day you moved in.
I been playing since 2009. Glad to know you here to help answer on my post.

I am glad to have provision but it need some tweaking. At the rate of provision increase when we at food producer region, we might as well stay at our lands until we reach 100% food provision before we go march for battle again. If there is tweaking to provisions, I will be glad to have it. Ideally provision should be adjust so that we either can buy provision for our unit or, we can replenish our provision at fast rate when we inside food producer region.

Apology if my choices of word are not so clear. I am Asian by the way :)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #259: June 07, 2013, 02:46:33 AM »
I am glad to have provision but it need some tweaking. At the rate of provision increase when we at food producer region, we might as well stay at our lands until we reach 100% food provision before we go march for battle again. If there is tweaking to provisions, I will be glad to have it. Ideally provision should be adjust so that we either can buy provision for our unit or, we can replenish our provision at fast rate when we inside food producer region.

On testing, you can buy provisions.

In general, though, we are considering some tweaks to provisions. I can't promise anything right now, but we are considering it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #260: June 07, 2013, 07:28:09 AM »
Is it still possible to cart around caravans full of food if you're main class Warrior, no subclass (ie, not a Trader?) I think it used to be possible to do this... But that was well before provisions and starvation even existed.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #261: June 07, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »
No, it's not anymore.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #262: June 07, 2013, 12:51:13 PM »
Is it still possible to cart around caravans full of food if you're main class Warrior, no subclass (ie, not a Trader?) I think it used to be possible to do this... But that was well before provisions and starvation even existed.

Well, before provisions (but not starvation), one could bring a caravan full of food, and troops would eat from that when the region had none.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #263: June 07, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »
It'd be cool if you had something similar to that (caravans full of extra food) that existed army-wide. For example, say you've got an army invading a starving region. Get a few of the troopleaders to drag along caravans of food, sit in the region as normal, provisions begin to run out. Except when they do, they'll automatically replenish from friendly food-carrying caravans in the region. Baggage trains, ftw. Caravans would slow people down considerably, but give some tactical advantage.

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #264: June 07, 2013, 03:28:57 PM »
I think that starvation is a bigger problem in the Colonies, there's no option to travel through the starving region at night...
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #265: June 07, 2013, 09:18:44 PM »
Spoken like a strong independent member of the first world who don't need no harvests and caravans.

I disagree. I don't think planning ahead is strictly a "first world" consideration. Actually it's more important in an agrarian society, not less, for precisely the reason you're suggesting. Sure if you wait until the food runs out before doing anything about it then it's probably too late. But whether you get it from Safeway, a medieval farmer's market, or you grow it yourself, the trick is to stock enough to last until the next harvest or shopping trip or raid.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #266: June 07, 2013, 09:42:42 PM »
I disagree. I don't think planning ahead is strictly a "first world" consideration. Actually it's more important in an agrarian society, not less, for precisely the reason you're suggesting. Sure if you wait until the food runs out before doing anything about it then it's probably too late. But whether you get it from Safeway, a medieval farmer's market, or you grow it yourself, the trick is to stock enough to last until the next harvest or shopping trip or raid.

The problem in BattleMaster is that if you're not already a realm that runs a deficit every winter, you're not going to be able to anticipate the famine times—because they will come either as a result of enemy action, or random drought.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #267: June 07, 2013, 10:05:09 PM »
The problem in BattleMaster is that if you're not already a realm that runs a deficit every winter, you're not going to be able to anticipate the famine times—because they will come either as a result of enemy action, or random drought.

Isn't that also true in the real world?

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #268: June 07, 2013, 11:45:28 PM »
Isn't that also true in the real world?

Depends on the time period...

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #269: June 08, 2013, 01:46:37 PM »
You missed the point it's not about planning or stocking. The characteristic time of starvation is days, while the characteristic time of harvest is weeks. While this is the case, food inertia will always be slow relative to starvation. Confer first world, where characteristic time of food supply is minutes. In the former case the food market will be very inelastic and hoardish because fluctuations in demand must be responded to by an approximately static supply.