Author Topic: Improving a region  (Read 4298 times)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Improving a region
« Topic Start: March 16, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »
We've had 5 people working on a region for 3 weeks and it hasn't improved, first time I've seen it be so hard.
It took 3 attempts to do a TO - 2 sympathetic, instant revolt, then a brutal which worked.

Region Lord can't hold courts, it gets interrupted
2 people are doing npw
1 doing civil
2 beuro's

No starvation, region is at core/hateful/crawling (due to population).

any ideas?

Region is Melias on Atamara

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: Improving a region
« Reply #1: March 16, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »
Keep working on it. That's about all you can do.

Maybe bring in a diplomat to do some talking to the local nobility.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 16, 2013, 10:47:01 PM »
Keep working on it. That's about all you can do.

Maybe bring in a diplomat to do some talking to the local nobility.
Yeah, a good diplomat, hopefully your ambassador, can make a big difference.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 17, 2013, 01:08:24 AM »
Diplomats can really help with loyalty. Once you get that above 20%, you can do regular courts. (Mostly reliably.)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 17, 2013, 03:06:10 AM »
When a region is blasted to hell, the #1 priority you need to work on is loyalty. (Control is only important to keep it from revolting immediately. Setting militia can at least delay a revolt by a turn as the peasants lynch them.) While you have courtiers and diplomats working on loyalty, it's a good idea to have 2-3 units doing constant normal police work. (More if it's a high-poulation region.)

Once loyalty is above 25%, you're pretty much safe holding courts. At that point, hold just courts until loyalty is ~40-60%, then start doing merciful courts to raise morale until it's about where loyalty is (continuing the constant police work to keep control up, and if that's not enough, then alternate in a few harsh court sessions). From there, just keep working on the region—unless someone decides to hang rebels and crash morale or something equally stupid, once you're above 30-40% loyalty and morale, you're usually in the clear.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 17, 2013, 03:43:55 AM »
Best way to fix a region is by NOT taking it in my opinion. Get a Ambassador/Diplomat to up Loyalty first, then take the region. If you do go the difficult route of taking it right away, then Anaris has got it all right. Just keep up the hard work :)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 17, 2013, 04:03:51 AM »
Best way to fix a region is by NOT taking it in my opinion. Get a Ambassador/Diplomat to up Loyalty first, then take the region. If you do go the difficult route of taking it right away, then Anaris has got it all right. Just keep up the hard work :)
Diplomacy work in rogue regions is expensive.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 17, 2013, 04:17:28 AM »
Diplomacy work in rogue regions is expensive.

If you're not willing to spend 100 gold to avoid parking an army there for 3 weeks, then maybe your realm has other problems.....
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 17, 2013, 06:45:45 AM »
If you're not willing to spend 100 gold to avoid parking an army there for 3 weeks, then maybe your realm has other problems.....
Its 30 gold a day, 210 gold a week, whereas its free once the region is took over. I'd say the realm has problems if it takes their army 3 weeks to takeover a region. Courtiers should be doing work regardless, and a unit or two staying behind to make sure other problems don't cause the region to go rogue should also be happening. Albeit I am not saying that some gold could be moved around to make it happen, but its not always that much quicker.
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 17, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »
Its 30 gold a day, 210 gold a week, whereas its free once the region is took over. I'd say the realm has problems if it takes their army 3 weeks to takeover a region. Courtiers should be doing work regardless, and a unit or two staying behind to make sure other problems don't cause the region to go rogue should also be happening. Albeit I am not saying that some gold could be moved around to make it happen, but its not always that much quicker.

The OP said 5 nobles have been at it for 3 weeks, that's 15 unit-weeks. I'm quite confident that a week of diplomat-work beforehand would have raised the sympathy enough that the after-TO work would have been over in a week. That's a saving of 11 unit-weeks.

Is that worth 210 gold? In many realms I would argue it is. I can imagine situations where it's not, or where the timing is just wrong to achieve it.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 17, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »
The OP said 5 nobles have been at it for 3 weeks, that's 15 unit-weeks. I'm quite confident that a week of diplomat-work beforehand would have raised the sympathy enough that the after-TO work would have been over in a week. That's a saving of 11 unit-weeks.

Is that worth 210 gold? In many realms I would argue it is. I can imagine situations where it's not, or where the timing is just wrong to achieve it.
They wouldn't be at it for 3 weeks if they would have had a good diplomat, preferably their ambassador, at the region when it was took over.
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 17, 2013, 03:01:54 PM »
They wouldn't be at it for 3 weeks if they would have had a good diplomat, preferably their ambassador, at the region when it was took over.

Good point.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 17, 2013, 03:50:36 PM »
210 gold a week.

What the hell else is your diplomat going to do with his gold?
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 17, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »

Prep the region next door.  ;D

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 17, 2013, 07:13:14 PM »
210 gold a week.

Plenty of stuff. People seem so ignorant on the uses of gold.
― G.K. Chesterton