Poll

Who will win?

Melhed
11 (19.6%)
Thalmarkin
45 (80.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: The War of Ice and Sun  (Read 131055 times)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Re: The War of Ice and Sun
« Reply #390: June 09, 2013, 02:13:56 AM »
We don't die, we just become Saints.

Seriously though, you aren't being very faithful to medieval style role-playing.  Sure, I am certain many frowned on harming children, but many of those same would still end a child to bring the fall of a potential dynasty.

Nothing against Maya per se.  Just the choice of who she sleeps with. =P

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #391: June 09, 2013, 02:17:40 AM »
Seriously though, you aren't being very faithful to medieval style role-playing.  Sure, I am certain many frowned on harming children, but many of those same would still end a child to bring the fall of a potential dynasty.

So how is he being unfaithful to 'SMA' if you admit there were likely such differences of ethical perspective anyway?

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #392: June 09, 2013, 02:26:00 AM »
BM itself isn't really rigid in terms of bloodlines anyways. King dies, new king from a different family gets elected. The newbie character the player of the dead king made doesn't even have the prestige necessary to become ruler. In the context of BM, there is no reason to kill a baby other than to be shocking and edgy; nobody's gonna give him a crown no matter whose vagoo he crawled out of.

Anyways, Red's a Cavalier. And there's a lot more to medieval-style roleplay than Game of Thrones (My opinion of which, in case you missed it in various and sundry other threads, is and always has been "!@#$ Game of Thrones").
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #393: June 09, 2013, 06:18:25 AM »
We don't die, we just become Saints.

Nothing against Maya per se.  Just the choice of who she sleeps with. =P

This isn't an SMA continent anyways...

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #394: June 09, 2013, 07:36:15 AM »
I don't use the term "SMA".  That's a BM-created thing.  I'm a roleplayer.  Which means I expect people to at least attempt to reasonably roleplay.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #395: June 09, 2013, 07:45:44 AM »
I don't use the term "SMA".  That's a BM-created thing.  I'm a roleplayer.  Which means I expect people to at least attempt to outdo HBO.

Fixed.

Quit telling me how to play my characters.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #396: June 09, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
Yes...  Because I used one example from Game of Thrones?

Hate to break it to you, but I've been roleplaying since before the first book was published, both medieval/fantasy and sci-fi. 

Honestly, I wish Tom did allow for more Might & Fealty-style pairings and lineages.  Add claims to it (with claims equating to a few more 'votes' in elections for positions) and we'd truly have some interesting changes in the game.  As well as people more willing to do what it takes to end rival lineages.

Rather than pansies believing there truly were "knights in shining armor".
I play priests and I know that's a bunch of bull. :p

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #397: June 09, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »
You don't even have a character in Thalmarkin or Melhed so you can GTFO. Even in your beloved dragon incest books there were important nobles who were against the murder of children regardless of the political consequences.

Edit for everyone else: One of the things we did to !@#$ with Melhed was to strike our banners so that on scout reports you could never tell which army was coming. We'd all ride under Eagle banners or Wolf banners alternatively. I dunno how effective that really was in the end but it was a fun plan.

Moderator note: Flame/troll removed. Warning issued. Keep it clean.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:45:26 AM by Indirik »

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #398: June 10, 2013, 12:13:43 AM »
Tone the hostility down, Marlboro.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #399: June 10, 2013, 12:46:44 AM »
Less personal snappy comeback. Note relevant to Roleplay skills.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:47:28 PM by Gustav Kuriga »

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #400: June 10, 2013, 12:55:04 AM »
Hate to break it to you, but I've been roleplaying since before the first book was published, both medieval/fantasy and sci-fi. 

Somebody call the Guinness Book of World Records and every renown medical professor in the world; we found the oldest human alive! Maybe this is the publicity stunt BM needs?
Ardet nec consumitur.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #401: June 10, 2013, 04:13:27 AM »
Whoops. Sorry about the delay re: strategychat. I'm on a train at the moment and will probably fall asleep shortly, so I'll pick the rest of this up tomorrow morning. For now, it will suffice to say that when the war started, Thalmarkin was low on gold, recruits, and lacking sound infrastructure. So it was decided pretty much immediately after Enzo took over that we'd systematically deprive Melhed of food, gold, and stability everywhere we could. Having more nobles but crappier RCs than your enemy works fine for a looting war. The longer the war went on, the stronger Thal got. If you continually loot someone and they don't devise a strategy to stop it or repair the damage quickly, the stress compounds and the gap between the two realms keeps growing. It's a tough hole to dig out from.

We used Qual and Lastfell—and their militia garrisons—as third and forth armies, respectively. Having equal mobile CS early on meant that 4K militia behind walls in either of those regions freed up 4K extra mobile CS to... You guessed it: loot. It also meant we could spare an extra 4K CS to join the 3-4K CS in the monster hunting army when Melhed started raiding in the north.

In general, I tried to ensure that there was always an active rotation of refitters and folks at the front. I loathe the battle-refit-battle-refit cycle that everyone falls into. It's hard not to, but if you can avoid it, you put your enemy under constant pressure. Mistakes get amplified. More opportunities can be exploited.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:18:13 AM by Solari »

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #402: June 10, 2013, 04:25:35 AM »
Somebody call the Guinness Book of World Records and every renown medical professor in the world; we found the oldest human alive! Maybe this is the publicity stunt BM needs?
No need to be an ass back. You know he meant the first ASOFAI book.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #403: June 10, 2013, 04:35:53 AM »
Whoops. Sorry about the delay re: strategychat. I'm on a train at the moment and will probably fall asleep shortly, so I'll pick the rest of this up tomorrow morning. For now, it will suffice to say that when the war started, Thalmarkin was low on gold, recruits, and lacking sound infrastructure. So it was decided pretty much immediately after Enzo took over that we'd systematically deprive Melhed of food, gold, and stability everywhere we could. Having more nobles but crappier RCs than your enemy works fine for a looting war. The longer the war went on, the stronger Thal got. If you continually loot someone and they don't devise a strategy to stop it or repair the damage quickly, the stress compounds and the gap between the two realms keeps growing. It's a tough hole to dig out from.

We used Qual and Lastfell—and their militia garrisons—as third and forth armies, respectively. Having equal mobile CS early on meant that 4K militia behind walls in either of those regions freed up 4K extra mobile CS to... You guessed it: loot. It also meant we could spare an extra 4K CS to join the 3-4K CS in the monster hunting army when Melhed started raiding in the north.

In general, I tried to ensure that there was always an active rotation of refitters and folks at the front. I loathe the battle-refit-battle-refit cycle that everyone falls into. It's hard not to, but if you can avoid it, you put your enemy under constant pressure. Mistakes get amplified. More opportunities can be exploited.

This, and the banner trick that Marlboro already told.
You forgot to say that having "the best army" was decisive. :)
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #404: June 10, 2013, 06:00:17 AM »

Thank the devil you showed up before this thread got locked.

I'm crashing hard too, so I'll keep my response brief. Your constant pressure strategy worked wonders, and the uniform banners were definitely an interesting trick.

To be honest, the Melhed that talked a lot about war was not actually so good at war itself. The few people at the top who were banging the war drums dropped off their activity right after the war-dec. Our combined armies had a really rough time trying to repulse the constant attacks. Thal's greater number of nobles definitely helped with this. When we started out the war, we had the Blood Wolves and the Inner Guard (a defense/rogue-killing) army. The Inner Guard was basically me and a bunch of quasi-active courtiers and priests. It got disbanded soon enough and a new army called Dragonstrike was founded.

Maya was made marshal of Dragonstrike, and we sailed off and plundered the Thal north in an attempt to reciprocate the looting stratagem. It worked a little bit and gave us a nice thing to cheer about at home, but we were too spread out. At least we did some good damage to Sandefur. The Thal counterattack on Sandefur was pretty badass with Marc de Coivos and Maya holding off superior numbers. That was one of my favorite battles in my time in BM. Had an Alamo feel to it, amplified by Jaeger Guile's magic attack on Maya (and Marc too I think). This attack on Sandefur was known in Melite royal circles as 'Maya's honeymoon' since it was her first act as Queen, following her marriage to Yeux. He turned to focus on priest stuff after that.

At this point we started going through generals like crazy; government ministers and marshals were losing spirit. Levon Arrakis served for a bit then quit and paused. For some reason the idea to fold Dragonstrike into the Blood Wolves won out in the realm, and we basically only had one army then, which is probably why in the late game we failed horribly in facing the constant Thal attacks.

One thing I learned from this war was that despite Maya's best intentions to save Melhed, a lot of Melites didn't give her any respect for what was perceived as her selfish power-grab. To her, it was a selfless sacrifice - she wanted to see the war through, where no one else seemed to want to have that responsibility. She expected that if she lost, she'd be exiled and lose everything. Now, after the peace and rebellion, she sees every day of her reign as a blessing.