Author Topic: Region Economy rebalance  (Read 34257 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Region Economy rebalance
« Reply #60: June 13, 2013, 02:49:06 AM »
Gold is almost pointless now. My characters have a total of ~10k gold pooled, with another 13k family wealth -- and this is after less than a year of playing. They can't spend their gold on units, because units cost too little. They can't spend their gold on recruitment centres, because their regions already have lots of recruitment centres and adding more would be pointless. They cannot spend their gold on militia, because their regions aren't threatened, so militia for them would be pointless also.

Their choice is either to spend their gold on pointless things, or else to continue saving the gold for no reason. As a result, I no longer care for gold other than as an E-Peen metre, and not really even for that. That is why I was hoping that gold supplies would decrease, as a decrease would be a step towards making gold valuable again.

There has been some thought of introducing some ways to make use of very large amounts of gold, too, possibly up to tens of thousands.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: June 13, 2013, 03:50:36 AM »
Gold is almost pointless now. My characters have a total of ~10k gold pooled, with another 13k family wealth -- and this is after less than a year of playing. They can't spend their gold on units, because units cost too little. They can't spend their gold on recruitment centres, because their regions already have lots of recruitment centres and adding more would be pointless. They cannot spend their gold on militia, because their regions aren't threatened, so militia for them would be pointless also.

Their choice is either to spend their gold on pointless things, or else to continue saving the gold for no reason. As a result, I no longer care for gold other than as an E-Peen metre, and not really even for that. That is why I was hoping that gold supplies would decrease, as a decrease would be a step towards making gold valuable again.

That's hardly everyone's case.

And it amazes me how some people can so utterly lack imagination as to what to do with their excess gold.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: June 13, 2013, 03:52:20 AM »
That's hardly everyone's case.

And it amazes me how some people can so utterly lack imagination as to what to do with their excess gold.

Personally, I fund wars with my gold.

And gamble.

It's actually a lot of fun.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Terises Jr.

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: June 13, 2013, 03:59:16 AM »
Personally, I fund wars with my gold.

And gamble.

It's actually a lot of fun.

Fun for lord of city..

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: June 13, 2013, 04:59:10 AM »
Increasing gold supply may also make older characters with more H/P more attractive. Since gold would not be much of a factor in determining army sizes, the only thing limiting army sizes will be the honour limit, players may be tempted to keep around older characters to field larger armies.
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: June 13, 2013, 06:22:17 AM »
But then they would take forever to get anywhere since bigger units are slower and older characters get less hours. It could work with cavalry though.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: June 13, 2013, 12:41:07 PM »
But then they would take forever to get anywhere since bigger units are slower and older characters get less hours. It could work with cavalry though.

Which aren't as good as others against walls. And as it's the cities that would get more gold, they'd likely also have more militia, and thus, cities would be much harder to assault directly.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: June 13, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »
If you can tell me why, in an objective way, this is wrong, I am willing to listen.

Personally, I have not been able to see any meaningful reason why it would be bad to boost the overall gold income, but I am perfectly willing to listen to potential problems it might raise.

>travel times, repair times, honour limits etc

War is more difficult with long travel times. Large units take longer to repair, all this does is slow down war and repairing 20 hours is just downright boring. Hitting the honour limit is easier than ever, makes new player units less useful. Paraphernalia production rate has not(?) been changed, so the same production has to service a larger number of soldiers. This stuff is kind of obvious?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: June 13, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
>travel times, repair times, honour limits etc

War is more difficult with long travel times. Large units take longer to repair, all this does is slow down war and repairing 20 hours is just downright boring. Hitting the honour limit is easier than ever, makes new player units less useful. Paraphernalia production rate has not(?) been changed, so the same production has to service a larger number of soldiers. This stuff is kind of obvious?

Those are all reasons not to recruit large units. That is a player choice. There is nothing about having more gold that forces you to recruit larger units, especially if you are running into these problems.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: June 13, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »
Those are all reasons not to recruit large units. That is a player choice. There is nothing about having more gold that forces you to recruit larger units, especially if you are running into these problems.

I think his point was that, with all else being equal, more gold available means all sides will end up recruiting bigger units. This won't change anything to the actual course of a war, since both sides are still on the same footing as before, but it will increase travel and repair times, making warfare altogether slower. It's not an unbalancing effect, but it's a slowing effect. While I think the effect is small, it is a fair point.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Terises Jr.

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: June 13, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »
Anyway, why we must increase gold? Fun.. Hurm, gold can't buy fun..

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: June 13, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
You're not frequenting the right establishments. ;)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: June 13, 2013, 05:32:26 PM »
All the developers of this game are incredibly obtuse. No point even trying. This game is doomed and so is MF.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: June 13, 2013, 05:37:27 PM »
All the developers of this game are incredibly obtuse. No point even trying. This game is doomed and so is MF.

If you don't like it, there's nothing that forces you to stay.

If you do like it, then I strongly suggest you refrain from directly and deliberately insulting every single dev who works on the game in our own free time.
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #74: June 13, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »

I don't see you contributing anything :p These people are volunteering. They are not getting paid to work on this game. You should learn to appreciate it maybe?