Author Topic: Mendicant Cheating  (Read 72643 times)

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Mendicant Cheating
« Reply #90: March 28, 2013, 01:14:27 AM »
You're sounding pretty upset, you should probably calm down.
As I said, the Eternal treasury is going to be distributed to the nobles of Aurvandil. Combined with some very scary RCs they have the nobles of Aurvandil are sitting in their own personal sandbox. How would Aurvandilian positions go to nobles from other realms...? Todd, Knight of D'Hara, High Sovereign of Aurvandil? Or is someone who sat around in Aurvandil now going to gain control of the mightiest power in Dwilight?

By dismantling Aurvandil, no one gains from it. That's what you don't understand. By allowing Aurvandil to remain, the Poor Victims of Mendicant's Tyranny™ get to pick up the pieces they haven't earned and play with them.

From my perspective, it is you, Chenier and all of the others who sound upset. I did not benefit or lose from this ordeal, nor am I particularly concerned. I am discussing this on a whim, if you must know.

If you wished to erase Mendicant's inheritance gold, that would be simple feat, no doubt. It would not even require transgressing on any single character, as the sum could be deleted before it is even collected. So, because it is not a punishment and is rather easy to implement I see no reason to dissuade anyone from holding the opinion.

Recruitment centres are something that I've never been able to appreciate. It seems as though every realm has a million of them, far exceeding what is needed and with similar distributions in quality. For this reason, I do not see a point in deleting them, regardless of whether or not they were built by a cheater, as they are simply a non-issue.

So, there you have. The elaborations of my opinions are yours at last. Have a cookie...

Quote from: Indirik
That you play in Aurvandil or not is meaningless, you speak in their favor. As for your reasoning, it assumes that justice requires that the entity being punished understands it. Both this claim and the claim that a realm, as a collective entity, cannot understand punishment are highly questionnable. If a fire is burning a neighborhood because of arson, and you have water to put it out, do you ask yourself "well, if the fire isn't sentient, then we can't get justice by putting it out". You just put out the damn fire. As for a realm's "sentience", it really is of no importance whatsoever. If your neighbor steals a car and gives it to you, then he gets arrested for it, do you think you are in any way entitled to keeping the car?

People are accusing me of playing in Aurvandil and seeking to further my own ends by defending it. Understandably, I wished to correct them.

As for your analogy, it is important to define the sort of punishment that we are discussing here. Punishing a fire is different from punishing a man. The meanings of the word are different, I mean. Chenier's calls for punishment in this instance are meant to reprimand the transgressor for it's crime, the transgressor supposedly being Aurvandil. But, that would be futile, as the transgressor can't react to the punishment, as it lacks the ability to comprehend the punishment in the first place. Thus, when you punish Aurvandil you aren't really punishing Aurvandil. Sure, you can harm the thing called Aurvandil, but you cannot punish it, not in the way that we are talking about, not in the way that you'd punish a man for a crime.

As I stated before, someone (whoever Aurvandil's regions go to; doesn't matter what realm(s) they belong to) is going to be benefiting from Mendicant's crime spree. The only way to avoid this would be to either delete the regions altogether or else manually determine which characters owned the regions to begin with and then return them. Neither case is actually being proposed, so it's meaningless to discuss their merit. What is being proposed is that the regions either be arbitrarily trashed by the Zuma, or that they be returned to the realms which used to own them. Neither of those proposals actually achieve justice, for reasons which I think are self-evident.

There could indeed be a collective understanding gained from punishing a 'realm' (realm, in this case meaning it's collective members rather than itself as an entity), however since the entirety of Aurvandil didn't transgress it isn't a relevant thing to bring up.