Author Topic: Dukes, Power, and Families  (Read 7371 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Dukes, Power, and Families
« Reply #15: April 17, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »
If your realm votes you in, it's hard for them to complain I suppose. Still, I  hardly think it's good for Coria... That both cities are controlled by one family definitely sends a message to new or ambitious (and therefore active) nobles that opportunities may be limited to established families, with minimal room for them to advance. In some older realms it can be nearly impossible to advance because all the power is held and shared among a small number of families. A realm like this (as it came off to me at the time) nearly turned me off of the game entirely when I was first getting started with BM.

In short, while I don't believe that you've in any way done anything wrong, I do believe that by limiting the opportunities of other players you may be doing your realm some harm over the long term.

It's easier to dislodge a single family than a clique of many. Since dukeships are more often freed for OOC reasons, now all you need if for that 1 player to go on a vacation for 2 weeks somewhere and you can have 2 cities up for grabs! Or that he leaves the game, or gets hospitalized. It may sound a bit cynical, but almost all of the city losses I've seen were due to one of these 3 reasons. Every now and then cities get conquered, though, but outside of BT, where noble count is so low it doesn't matter anyways, I don't see this much.

I've always petitioned for a way more advanced realm selection tool for newbies. Some people seemed overeager to state that since indicators don't mean facts in 100% of the cases, it wasn't a perfect system and (therefore?) not worth the time.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron