Author Topic: To join realm - Swordfell or D'Hara?  (Read 36787 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
To join realm - Swordfell or D'Hara?
« Topic Start: April 14, 2013, 03:33:12 PM »
Basically I'm hoping to find a fun new realm with lots of chatter if that is possible. Not too big. So far my idea is Swordfell or D'Hara. What do you guys think?
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: To join realm - Swordfell or D'Hara?
« Reply #1: April 14, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »
Basically I'm hoping to find a fun new realm with lots of chatter if that is possible. Not too big. So far my idea is Swordfell or D'Hara. What do you guys think?

D'Hara: Paranoid (and justly so) realm in the middle of everyone, about to get ganked by super powers.
Swordfell: Unstable realm in the middle of two great powers, potential to be ganked at any time by said powers.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 14, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
D'Hara: Paranoid (and justly so) realm in the middle of everyone, about to get ganked by super powers.
Swordfell: Unstable realm in the middle of two great powers, potential to be ganked at any time by said powers.

So you opinion is to have fun with the being ganked by super powers?  ;D

Some of the most fun I've had has been with realms that are outpowered and outnumbered so it is not necessarily a bad thing from a "player seeking fun"-perspective.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 14, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »
Not sure about D'Hara, but Swordfell ebbs and flows with activity. Between the Mendicant/DNS problems, a few active characters are in comas, but we still try to keep things active.

You'll be fast-tracked to lordship, I can tell you that. We don't have enough eligible nobles to lord over Nyuushi and the Divides, and the monsters/undead seem to like to throw parties there. We need people to join in on the debate of our code/constitution.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 14, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »
Not really trying to advertise (I might be out soon), but have you considered Fissoa? One of the new realms where Terran used to be might be interesting, or Barca. Crises lead to opportunity.

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 14, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »
Not really trying to advertise (I might be out soon), but have you considered Fissoa? One of the new realms where Terran used to be might be interesting, or Barca. Crises lead to opportunity.

Shizzle has a point; if you REALLY like playing as the underdog, go check out Phantaria or Saffalore.

D'Hara, Swordfell, and Fissoa are all in the "between a rock and a hard place" situation, as tends to happen when you get wedged between major powers. DH has come to accept we'll be threatened at almost all times, which makes for a fun, high octane (or yes, paranoid) climate in game. We do tend to be pretty active and have ways for everyone to get involved from the get-go.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #6: April 14, 2013, 06:03:52 PM »
Not gonna lie, the Luria's seem like a pretty fun place atm. Especially if they really will be breaking into smaller realms again. The vendettas and counter-vendettas, coups and schemes have made for very interesting gameplay, I've heard, and a devoted player base.

I'd say that D'Hara doesn't get really cool until you score a Lordship. Realm discussions are high octain, but fizzle out quickly. There are avenues to make it really interesting, but no one really takes advantage of doing so. D'Hara also has the highest number of royal characters in Dwilight. It's like a retirement home...

Falkirk might be interesting because, since the war couldn't be finished, they have not been wiped of the map. They have all of madina to reclaim and a mortal enemy in Fissoa

Saffalore does not have anyone playing in it really. Should be an easy Lordship, at which point the surrounding powers will probably convince you to join them. Cool stuff.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 14, 2013, 06:43:56 PM »
Not sure about D'Hara, but Swordfell ebbs and flows with activity. Between the Mendicant/DNS problems, a few active characters are in comas, but we still try to keep things active.

But would you say it is more of a quiet realm or a lively realm?

Shizzle has a point; if you REALLY like playing as the underdog, go check out Phantaria or Saffalore.

D'Hara, Swordfell, and Fissoa are all in the "between a rock and a hard place" situation, as tends to happen when you get wedged between major powers. DH has come to accept we'll be threatened at almost all times, which makes for a fun, high octane (or yes, paranoid) climate in game. We do tend to be pretty active and have ways for everyone to get involved from the get-go.

Hehe, I don't intend to seek out the most underdog one can find because if I did I would probably pick Saffalore. A quick look and it seems the ruler is also general, banker and duke. Like two men running the realm. But then again..maybe I should pick that. If we don't die it will be legandary ;)

But I prefer them to the biggest of the biggest since I feel there is something to accomplish then.

I do like your words about D'Hara. I just hope they are true. I've been in too many quiet realms and since I'm pretty active myself I prefer likeminded :D

Not gonna lie, the Luria's seem like a pretty fun place atm. Especially if they really will be breaking into smaller realms again. The vendettas and counter-vendettas, coups and schemes have made for very interesting gameplay, I've heard, and a devoted player base.

I'd say that D'Hara doesn't get really cool until you score a Lordship. Realm discussions are high octain, but fizzle out quickly. There are avenues to make it really interesting, but no one really takes advantage of doing so. D'Hara also has the highest number of royal characters in Dwilight. It's like a retirement home...

Falkirk might be interesting because, since the war couldn't be finished, they have not been wiped of the map. They have all of madina to reclaim and a mortal enemy in Fissoa

Saffalore does not have anyone playing in it really. Should be an easy Lordship, at which point the surrounding powers will probably convince you to join them. Cool stuff.

Will Luria Nova become several and if so when? I think it is too big for my taste at the moment.

Why does D'Hara have so many royal characters? How are their election systems like? Elect once or often? appointed? Considering they are a monarchy but the ruler is still titled Prime Minister?

Another thing I was thinking about - why does Aurvandil have so many nobles? 8 more than Luria Nova despite having like half the amount of regions.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 14, 2013, 06:57:34 PM »
Aurvandil cheated, to make it short. A lot of their locked accounts are still counted by the various stats page, and will be until the game removes them. Their "underdog" situation, combined with illegitemate might, made them a very attractive realm for a bunch of different people, who desired to profit from their strength. As such, their strength allowed them to get more strength. The cheating also allowed them to get endless funds from multies set up in a ton of realms in other continents, allowing them to field huge armies despite being a small realm without any significantly wealthy regions.

As for D'Hara, you don't get spammed with letters every day, but there are various message groups that do have decent chatter and which you can join, either off the bat (Midland Council) or over time (House of Lords). There are a good numer of players, however, who readily participate in things that others start, and we regularly have RPs that have nothing to do with measurable IG objectives. One example is the monarchy. As you pointed out, the realm is a "monarchy" with a Prime Minister. While it may seem contradictory, it's basically the same thing as the british Commonwealth. We've always had a King, but since the last Dragon King autopaused, we RPed him as a background NPC, and run the realm as a republic with quarterly elections for every position. The House of Lords is the reigning body, and they decide most things one way or another. However, we recently RPed the old Dragon King's assassination, and my character was elected as a replacement, though he has yet to be crowned. And it all started with a few people wanting more than a mere NPC nobody really played, and everyone pretty much went along with it. As  such, if you want to start things, there are good chances a decent number of people will tag along and participate. If you stay silent and don't ask to get included in any message group and don't try to get any promotions, though, then you'll miss out on a lot. But that's to be expected pretty much everywhere, imo.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 14, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »
But would you say it is more of a quiet realm or a lively realm?

It's more lively than my time in Morek (where there were 2-3 times as many nobles), but it's mostly 3 or 4 players who are making it lively. I'd say it's somewhere between quiet and lively, really. You'll probably have more social interaction in D'Hara or Luria, but in Swordfell you'll get a chance to take part in the decision making process of the realm.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 14, 2013, 07:26:16 PM »
As for D'Hara, you don't get spammed with letters every day, but there are various message groups that do have decent chatter and which you can join, either off the bat (Midland Council) or over time (House of Lords). There are a good numer of players, however, who readily participate in things that others start, and we regularly have RPs that have nothing to do with measurable IG objectives. One example is the monarchy. As you pointed out, the realm is a "monarchy" with a Prime Minister. While it may seem contradictory, it's basically the same thing as the british Commonwealth. We've always had a King, but since the last Dragon King autopaused, we RPed him as a background NPC, and run the realm as a republic with quarterly elections for every position. The House of Lords is the reigning body, and they decide most things one way or another. However, we recently RPed the old Dragon King's assassination, and my character was elected as a replacement, though he has yet to be crowned. And it all started with a few people wanting more than a mere NPC nobody really played, and everyone pretty much went along with it. As  such, if you want to start things, there are good chances a decent number of people will tag along and participate. If you stay silent and don't ask to get included in any message group and don't try to get any promotions, though, then you'll miss out on a lot. But that's to be expected pretty much everywhere, imo.

This is all true. The place is diverse and has a lot of character.  Ismail made his chops with regular cage-rattling, and people were generally pretty receptive. You get out of DH what you put into it. I've found there are some people in DH who are really into super interesting low-key roleplays, which is pretty much the entire reason why I play BM.

Dishman brings up a good point that if you want to rise quickly, Swordfell might be a better choice, and it seems like a really interesting place with the blending influence of Luria and Morek.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 14, 2013, 08:31:28 PM »
I'd advise against Phantaria, though. With but a very small number of nobles, sure, you MIGHT be able to get a lordship or even a government position, but that's if they don't get gobbled up within the month. And even if the few nobles are active (which there is no guarantee of), the realm just lacks the critical mass necessary to maintain interesting interactions.

D'Hara, Swordfell, or Fissoa are better choices than Phantaria.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 14, 2013, 08:47:19 PM »
I'd advise against Phantaria, though. With but a very small number of nobles, sure, you MIGHT be able to get a lordship or even a government position, but that's if they don't get gobbled up within the month. And even if the few nobles are active (which there is no guarantee of), the realm just lacks the critical mass necessary to maintain interesting interactions.

D'Hara, Swordfell, or Fissoa are better choices than Phantaria.

You get out of a realm what you put into it. I wouldn't discourage someone from joining a realm like Phantaria just because it 'might' get gobbled up.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 14, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
You get out of a realm what you put into it. I wouldn't discourage someone from joining a realm like Phantaria just because it 'might' get gobbled up.

The main argument is not that it might get gobbled up, though it should be considered, but rather that the very small number of nobles make the potential for interaction incredibly low. Unless you like limiting yourself to talking with just one other dude, that is.

Micro realms are good for promotions, but not for RP and overall chatter or interactions.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 14, 2013, 09:07:30 PM »
Phantaria is quiet, we need more nobles.

Why not come join it? Big, chatty realm don't become big, chatty realms unless people decide to make them that way at some point!

Also... who the hell is wanting to "gobble up" Phantaria!?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)