Author Topic: KRB What do you think about this?  (Read 20224 times)

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
Re: KRB What do you think about this?
« Reply #15: April 24, 2013, 02:46:40 AM »
Pretty sure there were plenty of cow-!@#$ers in medieval times.

The real problem, where this all snowballs, is those pricks you mentioned, the malefactors that we as denizens of the world wide web all have to deal with. Once rape gets introduced into the meta someone is gonna get way too into it, and ignoring it isn't always an option. I trust good writers like you to be careful with it but again as you pointed out some people are just !@#$ty writers. There's nothing we can do about that other than head them off at the pass and not be a bunch of weirdos that sit around reading rape RPs.

I sure as !@#$ don't want my significant other to think I'm over here playing nasty rape games with strange men on the internet. That's not what BM is about, which is a sentiment I'm sure you can agree with.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 24, 2013, 02:52:55 AM »
Why not remove genocidal actions? People might get too into it in RPs as well, since it's part of the meta. Or what about prostitutes? Wouldn't want people to think you're playing a virtual Pimp Hitler simulator either, right?

I don't see an epidemic of gruesome rape RPs. Once it exists, then maybe something should be done. But rape's been in the game forever and I don't see rivers of bodily fluids running down the streets. Nor do I see people dressed in all purple sieging their heils.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:54:35 AM by Norrel »
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 24, 2013, 02:55:24 AM »
I feel like we are all taking this out of proportion. First of all, It's an internet game. A game! You don't see this same reaction of torture or the murder of peasants or starvation or executions. Rape is just another grim reality of life. it happens. Second, I feel like we should all be adult enough to put this in perspective. It isn't as if the game is vividly describing it and if an RP goes to far report it for vulgarity.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 24, 2013, 03:07:38 AM »
Why not remove genocidal actions? People might get too into it in RPs as well, since it's part of the meta. Or what about prostitutes? Wouldn't want people to think you're playing a virtual Pimp Hitler simulator either, right?

I don't see an epidemic of gruesome rape RPs. Once it exists, then maybe something should be done. But rape's been in the game forever and I don't see rivers of bodily fluids running down the streets. Nor do I see people dressed in all purple sieging their heils.

Are you mad that I didn't answer your tangent? Ok. Genocide is not presented within the game in the same context that would offend people. There's no racially-motivated genocide, there's no religiously-motivated genocide, there's stabbing every human being in the throat genocide.

If I told my mother, my boss, my friends that I played a game where I'm a knight and I do !@#$%^& knight things like burn down villages that's fine. If I mentioned there was a specific option to seek out and rape women then suddenly things look very different.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 24, 2013, 03:10:29 AM »
I don't think looting options are BM's major selling points.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 24, 2013, 03:16:37 AM »
Are you mad that I didn't answer your tangent? Ok. Genocide is not presented within the game in the same context that would offend people. There's no racially-motivated genocide, there's no religiously-motivated genocide, there's stabbing every human being in the throat genocide.

If I told my mother, my boss, my friends that I played a game where I'm a knight and I do !@#$%^& knight things like burn down villages that's fine. If I mentioned there was a specific option to seek out and rape women then suddenly things look very different.

It's equally as tangential as bestiality.

You choose which regions to commit genocide in. You can roleplay that it's religiously or racially motivated. Just like you can roleplay that it's women your character is permitting the rape of.

Nowhere in the game does it say that women are the only targets. Unit commanders can be male or female, soldiers can as well, and I don't believe the targets are at all mentioned, by the game, as being women. You are committing "raping every human being" pillaging, as far as the game's concerned.

I don't want my entire world to be sterile and politically correct and I want to be able to roleplay in a world that's realistically grounded, not one that's been wiped clean by the PC police. I read books that have rape in them and I'm not publicly ashamed about that, it's part of the setting. It makes it interesting. Should we ban Game of Thrones because a preteen gets raped in one of the opening chapters? Because it has an anti-war theme that says that war isn't knights in shining armor, it's innocent people being brutalized in the name of politics they don't comprehend? As long as it's not glorified or celebrated, wtf is wrong with it?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:21:27 AM by Norrel »
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 24, 2013, 03:28:20 AM »
If I mentioned there was a specific option to seek out and rape women then suddenly things look very different.

Yeah, but there isn't. It's an option to Murder, Rape, and Pillage. It's like a blanket 'baddie' option. There is no specific emphasis on rape, actually contrary. You get a report of people you killed, stuff you took, but not how many women your men enjoyed.

So long as people aren't graphic, the mere mention of horrible things should be fairly benign. If someone is too graphic for your taste, the ignore function is there for your convenience. If it is exceptionally bad, report it to the magistrates (possibly a PM rather than fully posting it). We can have our characters do uncivil things, so long as we as players are civil about it.

You have a problem with raping, but not killing or burning.

I understand what you mean, but I admit you do sound like a dick when you say it. Rape is strangely more taboo than murder, yet murder is the foulest thing possible. Sex has a strange way of eliciting stronger responses from people than life and death.

Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 24, 2013, 03:29:57 AM »
I understand what you mean, but I admit you do sound like a dick when you say it. Rape is strangely more taboo than murder, yet murder is the foulest thing possible. Sex has a strange way of eliciting stronger responses from people than life and death.

I disagree. Murder can be justified, rape cannot. Also Kwanstein implied that rape is an expression of female sexuality, so he clearly doesn't just sound like a dick.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 24, 2013, 03:32:31 AM »
Game of Thrones

!@#$ Game of Thrones. Apart from the numerous other reasons anyone might not like the series, it commits the ultimate sin of being boring as hell.

Sex has a strange way of eliciting stronger responses from people than life and death.

Rape is not about sex. People are not offended by rape because they're being prudes.

Aaaand I'm out. *Drops mic on stage.*

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 24, 2013, 03:38:41 AM »
!@#$ Game of Thrones.

How about any other medium that includes rape? History books? The Saxon Stories? The Vikings TV show? The news? The Bible? Shakespeare? Are you embarrassed to speak to your (dickishly judgmental) friends about that? Should they be banned? Would your wife dump you for reading Titus Andronicus? You're just being a creeper reading a creepy story by some creepy old guy about rape, after all.

Pretending you've won this argument because Dishman said something stupid and offensive is pretty disingenuous. I think rappers are only allowed to drop the mic if they kick ass.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:50:55 AM by Norrel »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 24, 2013, 03:41:46 AM »
To address the "slippery slope" argument (which I will remind everyone is a classic logical fallacy):

If someone posts a specific roleplay that you feel goes too far, then please take the appropriate actions, to wit, first talk to them OOC, and if they stand behind what they've done, report it to the Magistrates. That sort of thing would pretty clearly fall under the "playing with friends" clause.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 24, 2013, 03:46:53 AM »
So I think I would like to know how other players feel about this and why do we have this option in a game where we have kids playing.
I started playing this game when I was thirteen, this medieval simulation game where there is genocide, murder, starvation, torture, and yes, rape. Don't think I'm suffering from any permanent effects.

What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 24, 2013, 04:34:00 AM »
there's no religiously-motivated genocide,
Yes there is. There is a game mechanic specifically intended as religious persecution. I believe the option is titled something like "Persecute Heretics". It often causes the deaths of multiple hundreds, and potentially thousands, in religous riots.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 24, 2013, 04:36:43 AM »
Or consider the auto da fé.

More to the point: yes, raping is abominable.

So treat it as such. IC movements to shun characters known for such actions or to villainize realms that are known to make a practice of KRBing do in fact occur. Witness how wary most realms are about deploying KRB-style looting, and how, nearly every time it is used on a large scale, it provokes some degree of diplomatic outcry.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 24, 2013, 04:48:41 AM »
On Dwilight, when Caerwyn attacked Astrum, they used a lot of KRB. When their general later seceded Itau to form Itaulond, his use of KRB is what caused us to reject his formation of his new realm, even though it basically killed Caerwyn and brought the end of the war very close. In fact, that player's entire family is well known for the use of that tactic.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.