Author Topic: Infiltrator Day 1: Already Imprisoned  (Read 4624 times)

anoobowner

• Knight
  • Vorash Family
    • View Profile
Infiltrator Day 1: Already Imprisoned
« Topic Start: April 27, 2013, 02:27:20 AM »
Basically today I learned that I am a giant noob when it comes to infiltration. Getting bored of the realm one of my characters play, I decided to stray from the light and take the dark path. Excited at this I thought, "hmm, why not try something greedy and different as opposed to academy sitting today?" I decided my character would try to steal a little tax gold at the least-risky settings in the capital city. I was caught and imprisoned, and now I think I stand to lose my lordship and be banished.

No complaints; I think this is an awesome opportunity to be cast off from the comfortable and to roleplay anger, poverty, and vengeance. It also gives me a good excuse to join wars against my own former realm. But, I want to ask the BM forum what a completely poor, imprisoned noob like myself ought to do and think about when infiltrating with low stats.

I checked the wiki for this sort of thing, and while it is generally helpful it lacks a conception of how difficult or risky something truly is.

Again, in no way am I complaining about what happened to me or the infiltrator class. I think it is awesome that Battlemaster has a good variety of classes that are both noble, useful, or nihilistic and greedy.
VORASH FAMILY: Protheon--Riombara | Prospero--Morek | Pamela--Caergoth

"The thing with computer-generated imagery is that it's an incredibly powerful tool for making better visual effects. But I believe in an absolute difference between animation and photography." - Christopher Nolan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Infiltrator Day 1: Already Imprisoned
« Reply #1: April 27, 2013, 02:29:33 AM »
Among those with experience in the Infiltrator class (or those, like me, who have conversed with them), it is generally well known that the ninjas who guard the tax offices are among the most dangerous foes you will ever encounter.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 27, 2013, 02:39:36 AM »
You're much safer stabbing tournament champions.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 27, 2013, 05:49:34 AM »
My advice would be to pick another class if you want to contribute to your realm. After months and thousands of gold spent training to 80 Swords and Infil, my noble has been caught three times in two weeks. Twice while not even doing anything Infil-related other than travelling through enemy regions.

RP-wise, there are possibilities.

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: April 27, 2013, 05:57:13 AM »
My character is one of the best infiltrators on EC and let me tell you how often you can get caught.

Low risk operations? I call that bull!@#$. Doesn't matter it is low or high you will get caught soon enough.

Travelling without any man? You must be crazy. Patrol guards can run faster than you can so give up on not getting caught.

Stabbing a guy with 5 men? Doesn't matter how good you are when you are fighting two or more armed men.

de Aquitane

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 28, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »
My infiltrator has admittably been deported twice already, but I feel exaggaration is happening. I've been succesful in stealing a decent amount of gold, sometimes multiple times a turn, just have to stay away from regions with walls. In general infiltrators are much safer staying away from regions with walls. (I too learned this the hard way)

I suggest keeping the infil class but not acting with it unless there is a distinct opportunity, there's no real "must" to go solo ninja-ing. Hire some men, run along with the army, train infiltration and sword fighting every now and then, and when your greedy courtier-of-a liege lord who spends his time counting his coins at the home estates without a unit raises your Lord's share a bit too much, stab the bastard in the back. Repeatedly.

If you're lucky you might find a wealthy Duke who'd offer to sponsor your training for future services rendered, but then, not all Dukes are as interested in having a knife in their service as amusement would demand. 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:11:40 PM by de Aquitane »

anoobowner

• Knight
  • Vorash Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 29, 2013, 12:13:15 AM »
My character is one of the best infiltrators on EC and let me tell you how often you can get caught.

Low risk operations? I call that bull!@#$. Doesn't matter it is low or high you will get caught soon enough.

Travelling without any man? You must be crazy. Patrol guards can run faster than you can so give up on not getting caught.

Stabbing a guy with 5 men? Doesn't matter how good you are when you are fighting two or more armed men.

If that is the case, when do you choose to conduct operations? It is on the command of others or under your own volition? Is it really so risky to do anything, regardless of the amount of risk the player volunteers to take? What did you to do make your character so effective, because at the moment it seems as if an infiltrator has difficulty having much effect.

My infiltrator has admittably been deported twice already, but I feel exaggaration is happening. I've been succesful in stealing a decent amount of gold, sometimes multiple times a turn, just have to stay away from regions with walls. In general infiltrators are much safer staying away from regions with walls. (I too learned this the hard way)

I suggest keeping the infil class but not acting with it unless there is a distinct opportunity, there's no real "must" to go solo ninja-ing. Hire some men, run along with the army, train infiltration and sword fighting every now and then, and when your greedy courtier-of-a liege lord who spends his time counting his coins at the home estates without a unit raises your Lord's share a bit too much, stab the bastard in the back. Repeatedly.

If you're lucky you might find a wealthy Duke who'd offer to sponsor your training for future services rendered, but then, not all Dukes are as interested in having a knife in their service as amusement would demand. 

I think you are right; especially if I am deported or banned at the moment. Why not become a hired hitman, with all benefits included.

I was initially under the impression that infiltrators were solo-ninjas, but would you say they are more like assassin tools for the wealthy?
VORASH FAMILY: Protheon--Riombara | Prospero--Morek | Pamela--Caergoth

"The thing with computer-generated imagery is that it's an incredibly powerful tool for making better visual effects. But I believe in an absolute difference between animation and photography." - Christopher Nolan

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 29, 2013, 01:34:59 AM »
I was initially under the impression that infiltrators were solo-ninjas, but would you say they are more like assassin tools for the wealthy?

They are extravagant agents with poor cost effectiveness but unique capabilities. They are tools for the... frivolous, for the most part, though sometimes they are necessary for removing an idle royal duke, or what have you.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 29, 2013, 01:41:05 AM »

Once fully trained they are extremely useful to any armies they are attached to provided the Marshal is aware of their abilities.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 29, 2013, 03:07:48 AM »
Once fully trained they are extremely useful to any armies they are attached to provided the Marshal is aware of their abilities.
Agreed. I believe there was one time on AT that CE's general and two other marshals all successfully got wounded in the same turn, not sure if it was the same guy though.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

skiarxon@gmail.com

« Reply #10: April 29, 2013, 12:35:38 PM »
It's a common knowledge among infils that when you first start with the class you have to spend a long time (around 2 irl months?) in your realm spending all that time training both your infil and swordfighting skill around 70%. Of course to do that you must have a lot of gold or someone that can provide them for you. Many realms pay their infils so they can train. Before that you do no actions since the chances of success are pretty low. After that you can start testing your skills by travelling to places with no people, militia and doing some low/medium risk options. You can try to stab a priest for example at that time but beware because their followers might turn against you and wound you.

Now there are many ways to play your infil. There are continents where there are infil only armies like Perdan's one assigned with their own tasks (I assume, never been into one), you can follow the army of your realm and make the life of enemy armies hard. Even by messing with the road signs you can help with the outcome of a battle, or you can go for their general, marshal and mess with their formations, orders etc. Or you can just be a hired guy and just stab the enemy of the highest bidder. You can also just hunt the bounties.

The problem with the infils though are the agreements made by the judges of the realms in times of war. There MIGHT be an agreement regarding infils but there might not be one so you risk getting banned, executed etc. When I get banned I have to leave the continent and come back again which really is bad for my honor and prestige.

Beware of getting caught too much too because you lose honor prestige and you can become commoner where you can get executed immediately. Always when you get low get into an army and join them in some battles. Or hunt monsters.

Never carry too much gold with you cause the enemy judge will take it from you so you can't pay the ransom (you can still escape though). The escape option for a strange reason doesn't always show up on the turn change so you have to log and check because sometimes it appears later in the day.

If there is something I forget I will post later .

P.S: Penchant it was the same guy who performed that with 60k CS being in the region at the time.

CamKrist

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 29, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »
Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
Don't waste your time if you want to find excellent term papers writing service, order here http://marvelousessays.co.uk

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 29, 2013, 03:46:52 PM »
Yahoo answers?
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 29, 2013, 05:10:30 PM »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 29, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
Nah, i think he is a player :)
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."