Author Topic: So I noticed something on IRC today...  (Read 14913 times)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
So I noticed something on IRC today...
« Topic Start: May 02, 2013, 12:31:20 AM »
At any given moment, #thalmarkin is more active than at least eleven other channels (including the main channel—#battlemaster) combined. I have no idea what that signifies, but considering it's mostly talking about Noldorin's french girlfriend (lately) or borderline-childish sexual innuendo (frequently), it must not be anything bad. This is why Thal is sometimes jokingly referred to as an IC clan by the people who play there. It's a joke. Seriously, don't even try to read too much into it.

So, consider this a challenge for those of you who are maybe the chatty type but not especially proficient with IRC, or really active on BM and thus capable of being on IRC, to find a way to connect with other people that play in your realm(s). It's pretty rewarding.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: So I noticed something on IRC today...
« Reply #1: May 02, 2013, 12:45:31 AM »
My thoughts about this:

We talk about everything at IRC, from french girlfriends to music, softwares and pets. At Thal, this is easier, once at the others channels people are mostly talking about the game, problems, strategies.
Why is it easier at Thal? Idk. Maybe because the two guys that started to call us there, Gondolin and Lorgan, started it saying: we are not rich, we are not strong, we don't have many regions but we are the funniest realm at al BM. And they did not lie.
Well, all this changed. We have more regions, we have more money, more nobles but we are still a funny realm.

I put it all as being consequences of the way we (they) started it.
Maybe.
Hard to know for sure.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #2: May 02, 2013, 05:30:03 AM »
My thoughts about this:

We talk about everything at IRC, from french girlfriends to music, softwares and pets. At Thal, this is easier, once at the others channels people are mostly talking about the game, problems, strategies.
Why is it easier at Thal? Idk. Maybe because the two guys that started to call us there, Gondolin and Lorgan, started it saying: we are not rich, we are not strong, we don't have many regions but we are the funniest realm at al BM. And they did not lie.
Well, all this changed. We have more regions, we have more money, more nobles but we are still a funny realm.

I put it all as being consequences of the way we (they) started it.
Maybe.
Hard to know for sure.

It has Outer Tilog's penchant for intrigue and crazy characters, without the more fantastic elements such as werewolves and such. Beyond the wizard, whose rp as such is supported in game mechanics via the scrolls, we're all just normal human nobles. Who fight with each other and somehow manage to still be coherent against Melhed.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 02, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »
And just to avoid this becoming a Thalmarkin lovefest, the intent of my post was to suggest a way for players to connect with and engage people they play with on different levels. The game's a community. Being a part of the community enriches your own experience.  :)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 02, 2013, 04:19:16 PM »
And just to avoid this becoming a Thalmarkin lovefest, the intent of my post was to suggest a way for players to connect with and engage people they play with on different levels. The game's a community. Being a part of the community enriches your own experience.  :)

This was, in fact, why I added the "Chat" button on the main navbar.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 02, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
And we love it Tim :)

That button brought a few more to chat. The main channel is always full now, so, thank you :D
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 02, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »
And we love it Tim :)

That button brought a few more to chat. The main channel is always full now, so, thank you :D

You're welcome :)

...But now we need to get more people in there. MOAR, I tell you!
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 02, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »
You're welcome :)

...But now we need to get more people in there. MOAR, I tell you!
Directing people to some channels would probably help. The main channel often has chatting but not always and many realms chats are silent so then what? That's why I find chatty channels. Lurians and Thalmarkin are the two I generally go to now.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 02, 2013, 10:36:43 PM »
Yes, but we are all at main channel too. Or almost all. There are a few who refuse to go there :p
We can always start chats.
I try, but I don't succeed.
Many times not even at Thal channel.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 03, 2013, 10:34:19 AM »
I'm at irc mainly at work, so i idle a lot... and ofcourse i hop there at sometimes during weekend... but then i'm prolly drunk and people hastily retreat and leave IRC before i start to babble and post silly music videos :P

But... IRC really improves your gaming experience, you get almost immediate replies to your questions and you get to know fellow players... and if your realm chatty is active you get to know players of your realmmates well too.

Back the old days, all Darkan leaders were at IRC, we crunched numbers and made a lot planning at irc along with chitty chatty... Same was with Tara and CE some extent too... I guess that was one of the reasons those realms were pretty dominate at beginning of Atamara... now they are dominating thrhough brute force :P No irc needed :)
~Violence is always an option!~

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 03, 2013, 08:00:02 PM »
IRC is the enemy.

I'm gonna go sit on IRC for 10 minutes or so and troll.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 03, 2013, 09:43:43 PM »
Dont we all?
~Violence is always an option!~

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 04, 2013, 04:00:58 AM »
Yes, lots of silly youtube videos, music, pics of Una and birds :p

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 04, 2013, 10:19:31 AM »
At any given moment, #thalmarkin is more active than at least eleven other channels (including the main channel—#battlemaster) combined. I have no idea what that signifies, but considering it's mostly talking about Noldorin's french girlfriend (lately) or borderline-childish sexual innuendo (frequently), it must not be anything bad. This is why Thal is sometimes jokingly referred to as an IC clan by the people who play there. It's a joke. Seriously, don't even try to read too much into it.

So, consider this a challenge for those of you who are maybe the chatty type but not especially proficient with IRC, or really active on BM and thus capable of being on IRC, to find a way to connect with other people that play in your realm(s). It's pretty rewarding.

Any time I log in I get molested by a puppet chicken or something else random, so I never really log onto the BM IRC

because it hurts my brain.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 04, 2013, 03:25:48 PM »
Any time I log in I get molested by a puppet chicken or something else random, so I never really log onto the BM IRC

because it hurts my brain.

You just need to ignore this and start talking. Its what we all do. Or you think he doesn't do it to all of us? Although I need to say that recently I have been offered flowers :)