Author Topic: 101 Ways to Destabalize the Northern Astroist Federation  (Read 79219 times)

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
I don't see how making a theocracy require a priest as its ruler is violating IR. If anything, that should already be a given - if you're running a theocracy, and you aren't a priest or a part of the religious ruling elite, then you're... just a monarchy.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I don't see how making a theocracy require a priest as its ruler is violating IR. If anything, that should already be a given - if you're running a theocracy, and you aren't a priest or a part of the religious ruling elite, then you're... just a monarchy.

The game takes the reverse. If you're the ruler of a theocracy you have some special status in the church.

Class choice is IR denying people government seats based on class is a major IR violation.

For the six pages this thread has racked up, I was hoping the north would be a burning mess by now!  Pump up the drama IG yo. Religious nobles can find a casus belli easier than fat kids can find cake! Less talk, more action!

Yeah it's pretty derailed at this point.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
The game takes the reverse. If you're the ruler of a theocracy you have some special status in the church.

Class choice is IR denying people government seats based on class is a major IR violation.

I don't think so.

Then is my distribution of extra gold to only troop leaders leading infantry units an IR violation? No. It's me wanting to only give out gold to infantry troop leaders. I'm not forcing or punishing anyone for not leading infantry, I'm just rewarding those who do.

If the Church wants to reward realms who have priests as rulers with theocratic recognition, I see no problem.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I don't think so.

Then is my distribution of extra gold to only troop leaders leading infantry units an IR violation? No. It's me wanting to only give out gold to infantry troop leaders. I'm not forcing or punishing anyone for not leading infantry, I'm just rewarding those who do.

If the Church wants to reward realms who have priests as rulers with theocratic recognition, I see no problem.

Do you actually do that? Because I think that's also a violation.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Er, no. No, it is not.

Zakilevo

Uh... you are supposed to recruit units with your gold that you earn from your estate...

Distribution of gold is up to whoever with gold. He is distributing 'his' gold after all. Realms are merely providing incentives by giving TLs leading infantry more gold than those who don't.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
I keep coming back to this thread to read something interesting and its just getting boring!  :'(
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Gustav Kuriga

I don't think so.

There's a difference between positive reinforcement to those who do as you tell them, and punishing people for choosing a different class. Forcing the ruler to become a priest is the latter.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
There's a difference between positive reinforcement to those who do as you tell them, and punishing people for choosing a different class. Forcing the ruler to become a priest is the latter.

Hm... I don't really think so.

If Realm A declares war on Realm B because they don't like that Realm A's ruler isn't a Priest that's an IR violation? Seems fine to me. You're have the right to choose your class, not the right for people to treat you the same as everyone else regardless of your class.

That's like saying a realm policy of executing all captured infiltrators is a violation of infiltrators IR to be whatever class they want. No, you can be whatever class you want but that doesn't mean people have to like you or not want to kill you.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Zakilevo

Hm... I don't really think so.

If Realm A declares war on Realm B because they don't like that Realm A's ruler isn't a Priest that's an IR violation? Seems fine to me. You're have the right to choose your class, not the right for people to treat you the same as everyone else regardless of your class.

That's like saying a realm policy of executing all captured infiltrators is a violation of infiltrators IR to be whatever class they want. No, you can be whatever class you want but that doesn't mean people have to like you or not want to kill you.

You can't directly tell the person to be a certain class.

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
Nobody is forcing them to become a priest, though. It's their choice. But if they don't choose priest, then they can't run for certain government positions.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Running for rulership/being a ruler isn't an IR. Never has been, never will be.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It's also worth noting that the "can't" is being enforced by a separate IC body, which may or may not have the power of enforcement.

Personally, I'm not sure whether this should be considered an IR violation, but I'm leaning slightly toward "not".

(Giving gold solely to those who recruit infantry, incidentally, is one of the examples Tom has given of something that very definitely does not violate the IR.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Hey remember way back when we wanted to plunge the north into war?

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Hey remember way back when we wanted to plunge the north into war?

But wars of words are so much safer!