Author Topic: Unnecessary Racist Slur  (Read 43081 times)

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Unnecessary Racist Slur
« Reply #45: May 27, 2013, 06:11:34 PM »
This is not about punishing one guy , it is a good opportunity to discuss about this though because just letting it be it may allow it to escalate in the future, i know english is not my native language but for the love of God do you not understand what i m saying?

For something like this, if you are more interested in setting 'precedent' and 'what are our morales as a community' rather than care about the actual case (which deals with one person and his intent), then you are going to lose either way.

On the one hand, you can say "this has crossed the line" (like you have already stated), and open the door to any references to race as off-limits (or, that you can reference race but it must be in a good light). This will offend and alienate pretty much every nationality equally.

On the other hand, you can say "this hasn't reached the line", and open the discussion of what is the line when referencing race. This opens the door to endorsing comments such as these and/or escalating things.

The question isn't 'is this racist'. The question is 'did Vladimir stop playing as if with friends', figuring in that part of the group of friends IS asian. So far, the only asianic friend who posted said it was distasteful but not worth reprimand. Others disagree. Now magistrate without letting buzzwords and political-correctness turn this into something far bigger than it really is.

This is the point. You can use whatever you want, but don't need to make it look like real life or make people feel not comfortable with it.
Two problems with this. A: It's a low fantasy setting, so no purple/green. This means we are stuck using real pallettes, which are pretty much used somewhere in the world. B: If we do mix-and-match racism, then how far until someone makes it clear that they aren't referencing the fake race...but have in fact been referencing a real race for quite some time.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)