Author Topic: Unnecessary Racist Slur  (Read 43392 times)

Lavigna

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Unnecessary Racist Slur
« Reply #45: May 27, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »
I know that this will be used for future cases, but that isn't the reason for this case. If you place more importance on "what this case means for the future" you lose sight of "what this case means to the accused/accuser".

The intent of the magistrates is to make sure everyone plays nice with each other and to help facilitate a good time. Over-sensitive rules, allowing abuses, or some combination of the two aren't going to do that. When you take the case out of context, and look at it as a policy decision rather than a disagreement between friends, then you aren't playing lawyer...you're playing legislator.

I would disagree. There is a chasm of a difference between "we should genocide x people" and "I think x people are lazy". The Social Contract covers insults/harassment, and insults/harassment vary in degree. Racism is just another vein of insult/harassment of one player to another. For insults/harassment cases I've always thought accuser's intent, violantion's degree, and the offended's feelings mattered.
When I talk about 'real palletes', I'm referring to the skin colors and facial features of real-world races (which most combinations are covered by some ethnic group). I guess we can all just omit racial features of IG people, but that kills immersion and RP freedom.

I guess, in general what I'm trying to say is that we can't make blanket decisions for 'racism', because it's never as simple as "that's racist!". It's a hot-button issue, that varies in definition, and can be largely interpretive. Vladimir's comments being unnecessary or not aren't really the issue. The issue is were Vladimir's make comments designed to insult/harass other players.

What you describe about Magistrates is like calling them babysitters.Make sure everyone plays nice and have a happy time? I doubt this is our role.

Our role isn't playing legislators either.In fact a precedent isn't Law.It is the strongest weapon to use for your defence but in terms of law it can be revoked by another one. It is not binding. So i am not trying to play the legislator either, i just want a precedent to be just enough so the next time someone will use it to his defense he will start of by a just base and not just a thoughless decision.

Don't try to find scales of racism, there are none.There are things that can be meaningless to you and a great deal to another. You cannot decide what is important for the offended and what not.I m sorry but you cannot.

Some may find racist to call a man of color black instead of African American, others may consider racist to call them poop with legs. ( i hate to bring such an example but i want to try and explain my point of view).

I perfectly understood what you meant with palettes but i am asking you again, why is it so important to describe a Chinese in order to enforce the fact he is lazy?What importance does it have?

All i m saying is that this is a sensitive matter, i am not negotiating my decision on the matter. I believe the accused to be guilty as charged. What i mean by that? The offense was unnecessary.See this is the title of this complain so this is the real issue. Some complained about such comment being unnecessary and i agree that it was, byt this issue raises more questions.

I may overanalyze some cases but that  does not mean i want to spam with my opinion over and over again the forum, i just believe such cases require discussion and shouldn't be take lightly because it will backfire and only then we will realize how wrong we judged upon it.
Suck my socks! I kill for Darka! -KK-