Author Topic: Order of Aristocrats  (Read 30656 times)

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Order of Aristocrats
« Reply #15: June 06, 2013, 10:01:49 PM »
It will become the newest rage, for the nobility. Just like that 'Booketh of Faces' that went around from realm to realm and everyone had to add a sketch of themselves in the book. Some nobles looked especially ugly, but that might have been the wear and tear, and all the grubby fingers touching it, during the long voyage the book had to take.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 06, 2013, 10:40:24 PM »
So could I just build a guild house and call it 'House Apasurain' and have some people join it and thats my house?

No, it wouldn't make sense to build House Apasurain because you are already a family member of House Apasurain. Your family House already exists. But let's say, for example, that House Apasurain, House Ironsides, House Cheesehead and House Catspaw all shared a common vision or colluded toward a similar goal, or were all just really good friends, we would form Great House Randy Duck (or something like that) together and compete in the Aristocracy. Our family Houses are affiliates of the Great House, not the Great House itself.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 06, 2013, 11:42:33 PM »
Cool idea, however I think the titles should be more neutral in name, not everyone is male.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 06, 2013, 11:53:10 PM »
If a group of nobles from different realms all wanted to scheme together, why would they join a guild where all their ranks and membership will be known to rival factions rather than found their own private guild/secret society? And even if they didn't mind it being public, wouldn't it still make sense to have their own guild where they could make full use of the guild treasuries without fear that rival factions may take the gold, not to mention the ease of being able to use the full members channel rather than having to scroll down and select your own faction members every time you want to send a message.

Am I missing something here? What possible motivation would multi-realm factions have to join the Order of Aristocrats? What advantages does it confer?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:57:34 PM by Meneldur »

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #19: June 07, 2013, 12:01:48 AM »
You could always form the guild in Golden Farrow. I've got plenty of money to support it.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 07, 2013, 12:26:10 AM »
Ok i feel this will be the vogue thing to do this summer.  8)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 07, 2013, 01:47:16 AM »
Cool idea, however I think the titles should be more neutral in name, not everyone is male.

Ya, it was just too much work to keep putting backslashes every five seconds in the wiki. When the Great Houses are started the titles will be reflective of the person wearing them.

Am I missing something here? What possible motivation would multi-realm factions have to join the Order of Aristocrats? What advantages does it confer?

The Order of Aristocrats is one guild for everyone. It is for the Aristocrats to chat and boast etc. The Great Houses are other guilds separate from the aristocracy and specific to the aristocrats who inhabit them. So first, a noble has to join the Aristocracy. Then, a bunch of like minded aristocrats form their own Great House and try to snuff out the other Great Houses.

Advantages are contacts, prestige, honor, wealth, privilege and ultimately the world! We have Kings, but now we have the chance to make a King of Kings.

Is a new era of Dwilight :)
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 07, 2013, 02:26:11 AM »
Ohhhh  :P, ya, in the beginning nobles will have to hike to get in, but once it spreads out of Swordfell it will be available en masse. I suppose membership will come in waves, those who really get the idea and want in, then those who join up because it is accessible, and finally those who join because they will miss out if they don't  8)

...Plus, Bowie will personally cook pancakes for anyone who hikes to BR to join the Aristocracy!

Also, I should have added that missing an 'r' could potentially made the spelling "AristoCATS" teehee.

Bowie better not dare to cook Pancakes. Some Crimson clad ruffians will come in and beat him half to death with trout.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: June 07, 2013, 03:20:37 AM »
The Order of Aristocrats is one guild for everyone. It is for the Aristocrats to chat and boast etc. The Great Houses are other guilds separate from the aristocracy and specific to the aristocrats who inhabit them. So first, a noble has to join the Aristocracy. Then, a bunch of like minded aristocrats form their own Great House and try to snuff out the other Great Houses.

Advantages are contacts, prestige, honor, wealth, privilege and ultimately the world! We have Kings, but now we have the chance to make a King of Kings.

Is a new era of Dwilight :)

Ah, that does make much more sense. It will be interesting to see whether this truly takes off, and even if it does it will be hard to make people break out of the "realm as a team" mindset.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:24:22 AM by Meneldur »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: June 07, 2013, 04:21:18 AM »
They'd have to put up with Bowie, though, and that would be too much, for many people. Not to mention that you'd always be subservient to the guild founders. Realms, at least, hold the prospect of turnover, change, renewal, decay, being conquered, conquering others, etc. Guilds tend to get stale because there's no way to actually oust those at the top out of their positions. That's why guilds are so poor at making that kind of power structure. They require willing subservience, just like religions. So few people are willing to play along with that, except where required, such as in realms.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tiridia

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: June 07, 2013, 06:17:46 AM »
Indirik,

There is certainly that to consider. Such a guild might work if those joining would feel that the one leading it is putting very strong effort in making it worthwhile for the members. There is a genuine problem just like you described. The one on the top can never be displaced. The only way around this that I can think of is that the top dog eventually chooses a role of an administrator who makes the promotions, demotions, expulsions and such based on some other functionality by the lower ranking members.

That is to say, if could work if the alpha does not join or make a house himself, nor participate in any of the intrigue personally. The moment he does either, the guild will be seen as corrupted and serving only the interests of the leader. It could work if the leader is widely respected and if he chooses a life resembling that of a hermit, to whom the cause is important enough to make the necessary sacrifice. Then people might join him and stay with him. Not a bad way to retire a character.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: June 07, 2013, 06:43:10 AM »
They'd have to put up with Bowie, though, and that would be too much, for many people. Not to mention that you'd always be subservient to the guild founders. Realms, at least, hold the prospect of turnover, change, renewal, decay, being conquered, conquering others, etc. Guilds tend to get stale because there's no way to actually oust those at the top out of their positions. That's why guilds are so poor at making that kind of power structure. They require willing subservience, just like religions. So few people are willing to play along with that, except where required, such as in realms.

Everyone can just leave and make a new Great House (or join someone else's), however, if they get tired of that leading guy. Pretty simple, and not nearly as drastic as having to leave a realm if you don't its leaders and don't have much of a way to change the leadership.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: June 07, 2013, 09:21:53 AM »
That is to say, if could work if the alpha does not join or make a house himself, nor participate in any of the intrigue personally. The moment he does either, the guild will be seen as corrupted and serving only the interests of the leader. It could work if the leader is widely respected and if he chooses a life resembling that of a hermit, to whom the cause is important enough to make the necessary sacrifice.

Are we talking about the same Bowie Ironsides?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #28: June 07, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »
Recall that this system is more complex than simply one guild. Each Great House founds a guild of their own, the Crown Prince being the master (or mistress) of said guild. The Leader of each great House is raised to the eldership position on the Order of Aristocrats.

Furthermore, each Great House is an entity unto themselves, leaving it entirely up to its players how one rises. Me, I prefer a more dynamic approach. It will be interesting, that much I can promise . And as soon as I think up a good name, I will found that House and show you all!
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: June 07, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »
I was just wondering this on IRC, but is the concept of this guild SMA appropriate?
Ardet nec consumitur.