Author Topic: Fame values (meaning)  (Read 4429 times)

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Fame values (meaning)
« Topic Start: June 06, 2013, 01:03:06 PM »
So on the fame page it says
All the values below are measures against the best on this island.

Is it a percentage? Is it a percentile? E.g. Does a fame value of 25 mean the char is 25% as good as the best on the island, or that he's better than 25% of other characters on the island? Also the fame values for honour and prestige, how do they compare to honour and prestige in the status values? Thanks.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Fame values (meaning)
« Reply #1: June 06, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »
The way I understand it, it basically means what you said:

he's better than 25% of other characters on the island

So, e.g., someone with 100% swordfighting fame would not actually have 100% swordfighting, but he is better than 100% of the other characters on the island.
I assume that it works the same way for honour & prestige, although I'm not sure if unique items are calculated into that or not.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: June 06, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »
When something is not stated in BM, that's usually for a reason.

It is not a linear thing, and I will NOT say what exactly it is. The purpose of the fame page is NOT that you can make extrapolations towards other peoples skills or other values.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 06, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »
When something is not stated in BM, that's usually for a reason.

It is not a linear thing, and I will NOT say what exactly it is. The purpose of the fame page is NOT that you can make extrapolations towards other peoples skills or other values.
Then what is it supposed to be used for? It seems rather meaningless if you saying, "Yeah, that number there that you have no idea what it means, I am not going to tell you what it means. Enjoy."
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 06, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
Then what is it supposed to be used for? It seems rather meaningless if you saying, "Yeah, that number there that you have no idea what it means, I am not going to tell you what it means. Enjoy."

It's better when it's higher. It's a monotonous function of goodness. That doesn't mean you need to to know how it's measured.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: June 06, 2013, 05:35:57 PM »

It is meant to allow you to measure yourself, compared to others, but not in such a way that you can calculate their values.

So if you are at 25%, then you are better than someone who is at 20%, and if it's a skill then his skill value will be less than yours, but it doesn't allow you to exactly calculate his skill value.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 07, 2013, 09:38:56 PM »
So it's kind of like your doctor telling you that you've gained weight. You used to weigh 55, now you weigh 60. 60 what, you ask? You weigh 60. Is that good? You weigh 60. Is that bad? You weigh 60. What's the average? You weigh 60. What is a healthy weight for someone like me? You weigh 60.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 07, 2013, 11:08:52 PM »
If you don't like the system, don't use it. It won't hurt your game any. But you don't have to ridicule the guy who wrote it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: June 08, 2013, 03:36:27 AM »
Being able to measure your skill in percentile is more ridiculous in my opinion. If you beat guy A in a duel, you are better than him. If you are beaten by Guy B, you are worse than him. But this is not Dragonball and people don't carry around scouters. When crowds from a tournament measure how good you are, they tell you that in percentile. How?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: June 08, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »
So it's kind of like your doctor telling you that you've gained weight.

No, it isn't. Intentionally broken analogies don't make an argument.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: June 08, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »
When crowds from a tournament measure how good you are, they tell you that in percentile. How?

Because it's a game and players demand numbers. See a few comments further up.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 08, 2013, 09:41:07 PM »
No, it isn't. Intentionally broken analogies don't make an argument.

My point was that I don't know if my fame values are good or bad. I understand that 25 is better than 24, but I don't know if my character good, average or poor at any of the things that are measured.

If you don't like the system, don't use it. It won't hurt your game any. But you don't have to ridicule the guy who wrote it.

Didn't mean to cause offense, just trying to understand the game better.

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: June 08, 2013, 09:52:43 PM »
My point was that I don't know if my fame values are good or bad. I understand that 25 is better than 24, but I don't know if my character good, average or poor at any of the things that are measured.

Higher the number is, closer you are to the top. It is pretty straight forward.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 10, 2013, 03:52:19 AM »
Higher the number is, closer you are to the top. It is pretty straight forward.
Yeah that is what he said. The higher the better but you have no idea what is good beyond under 20 being bad likely and 80 or above being good probably.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: June 10, 2013, 04:32:46 AM »
Yeah that is what he said. The higher the better but you have no idea what is good beyond under 20 being bad likely and 80 or above being good probably.

:p Our characters are living in a medieval world. They didn't have statistics for skills like we do now. People didn't take tests. The only way to find out how good you are with a sword is to participate in a tournament.