Author Topic: Titan System Revalation  (Read 49417 times)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Titan System Revalation
« Reply #105: July 12, 2011, 10:40:19 PM »
And they should not be anonymous. They can, I think, be pseudonomynous as in their forum identity doesn't have to reveal who they are in-game. Or they could have a second forum account. But it should be possible to have a name on the decisions.

Give out a titans family name and I fear every accused will be trawling forum posts and family histories on the wiki dragging up a thousand reasons why titan X is unfit to judge on this or that matter for past realm/religion/guild Y opposition.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #106: July 12, 2011, 10:41:24 PM »
Give out a titans family name and I fear every accused will be trawling forum posts and family histories on the wiki dragging up a thousand reasons why titan X is unfit to judge on this or that matter for past realm/religion/guild Y opposition.

Which is why he just said they could be pseudonymous.  You know, have a pseudonym.  So you can tell the Titans apart, but you can't tell who they are IRL or IC.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #107: July 13, 2011, 12:16:37 AM »

Yes, that would happen.

It would quickly end when I come down on them like a ton of bricks.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: July 13, 2011, 01:01:45 AM »
Which is why he just said they could be pseudonymous.  You know, have a pseudonym.  So you can tell the Titans apart, but you can't tell who they are IRL or IC.

Wouldn't iot be fun to make a pseudonym of "Tom". Teehee.

But, more seriously, pseudonyms will do very little. In a game where a not insignificant number of players regularly study each others' writing habits in an attempt to mimic and forge each others' letters, and where we all read each other quite regularly IG and on the forum, I do not think a pseudonym will be any protection of identity.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: July 13, 2011, 02:43:24 AM »

But, more seriously, pseudonyms will do very little. In a game where a not insignificant number of players regularly study each others' writing habits in an attempt to mimic and forge each others' letters, and where we all read each other quite regularly IG and on the forum, I do not think a pseudonym will be any protection of identity.

I think you vastly overestimate the number of people who can do this with any great degree of accuracy.

Not to mention the intersection of that set with the set of people who would care enough about any given Titan decision to make the effort.

And the intersection of those sets with the set of people who have actually come into close enough IC contact with the Titans in question to have a viable sample.

And all that is leaving aside the question of how long it would take them to go through all their correspondents who sound sort of similar to narrow it down.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: July 13, 2011, 04:02:53 AM »
Unless those people just assume the Titans are forum-active. Which deals with several of those intersections.

That assumption would likely be wrong. But makes intuitive sense. And if they "found" a close "match," they might just decide the "accused Titan" was lying about their non-Titan status.

I suppose the issue could be reported to the Titans?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #111: July 13, 2011, 04:07:27 AM »
http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson208.html

Some people...can be rather vindictive and obsessive. Over a game. Strange but true. Ripley would be proud lol.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: July 13, 2011, 06:36:58 AM »
To be fair, the forum is a lot less confrontational then the old d-list.

I suspect the vast majority of the people who post here and could recognize who is who really wouldn't give a damn.  If someone really wanted to do it, they could build a titan shortlist anyway.  So what?  Those who think the Titan's are "screwing them" already have their pet theories.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: July 13, 2011, 07:11:42 AM »

I would be surprised if many or any of our player base can do this very well. There is a reason that the experts used in legal cases and by intelligence agencies spend considerable time learning the skill, and still have questionable accuracy in many cases.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: July 13, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »
I would be surprised if many or any of our player base can do this very well. There is a reason that the experts used in legal cases and by intelligence agencies spend considerable time learning the skill, and still have questionable accuracy in many cases.

The people have to prove that, among everyone living on this planet, the defendant is the one whose signature matches.

In BM, your population pool is much smaller. And the % of people coming from different countries is much greater, so there are much more obvious divergences noticeable. And as was said, most of those who would apply would likely be active elsewhere, and have therefore provided a great number of example messages to compare.

This makes it much more easier to compare and find similar. And beyond any reasonable doubt isn't a public opinion thing.

I doubt many will bother trying, though. But some people just have very obvious writing styles (for abusing the same expressions or constantly doing the same mistakes).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

cjnodell

« Reply #115: July 13, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
I do not really think it matters much if Titans are anonymous, pseudo or otherwise. In the end I think that any player attacking a Titan in revenge will do more harm to themselves that anyone else. Lacking anonymity forces the Titans to ensure they are being as neutral as possible and makes the whole process feel more open and friendly. Making the case and decision public will make it difficult for the parties involved to get away with in game revenge.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: July 13, 2011, 05:23:56 PM »
Lacking anonymity forces the Titans to ensure they are being as neutral as possible and makes the whole process feel more open and friendly.
I'm not so sure about that. Feel more open? Yes. More friendly? Meh....

More neutral? I don't think so. In fact, I would think that it would, in fact, cause more accusations of personal favoritism and realm favoritism. If it was known, for example, that there was a Titan that played in Keplerstan, then any decision that took action against Evilstani, or any character/player in Evilstani, then any such decision could be viewed as biased based on the fact that "The Titans play in Keplerstan". This would be even more likely if there were a few players in Evilstani trying to play fast and loose with the rules.

And even if it wasn't true, observational bias would play hell with anything like that. Players would see what they want to see. And they would be vocal in their assertions. And people who hear stuff like that believe what they choose to believe, rather than put in the time to do the research. That's the very foundation of most political systems: "Barrage them with bull!@#$, and eventually they'll start to believe you."

A pseudonymous system would be much better.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

cjnodell

« Reply #117: July 13, 2011, 05:58:21 PM »
You are are probably right. I do tend to be a bit too optimistic. I just thought that if I was a Titan making a decision I would want to be sure to be as impartial as possible and explain my decision in a way that clearly demonstrated that effort. However, I do believe that you are correct in that people can twist things fit their view regardless of any efforts taken. I just may need to get my head out of the clouds!

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: July 13, 2011, 08:18:59 PM »
I'm not so sure about that. Feel more open? Yes. More friendly? Meh....

More neutral? I don't think so. In fact, I would think that it would, in fact, cause more accusations of personal favoritism and realm favoritism. If it was known, for example, that there was a Titan that played in Keplerstan, then any decision that took action against Evilstani, or any character/player in Evilstani, then any such decision could be viewed as biased based on the fact that "The Titans play in Keplerstan". This would be even more likely if there were a few players in Evilstani trying to play fast and loose with the rules.

I thought one of the main 'rules' about being a Titan was that you can't be one on an island on which you have a character yourself?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119: July 13, 2011, 08:38:42 PM »
That rule went out the window quite a long time ago. I'm pretty sure this was discussed on the DList quite some time ago. There is now a single Titan pool that rules on all cases. I would assume anyone involved in the case would recuse themselves from the discussion. It would probably be up to the other titans to ensure that this happens.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.