Author Topic: Great Dwilight War:Astrum defeats Asylon and Farronite forces.  (Read 267837 times)

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
There have been no raids per se. Just one lonesome Astrumese noble moving through our northern lands but hasn't yet done any looting at all. Probably a scouter.

On another note, how is the player retention working for all? Niselur so far got only 2 new nobles, while I've noticed Astrum and Morek slightly bit more. I was hoping that the stakes of this war would attract much more players than this. Forum advertisement doesn't work, out of game forum advertisement is not much better, either. Lurking on IRC and wooing players seems like top of the game strategy these days. Any ideas how to bring in larger number of players? Without increase in the player base of Dwilight this war probably won't reach the magnitude I hoped it will.
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
You are encountering the reality of war on Dwilight. Its a slog, and its slow long strategy warfare.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
Fissoa's been doing pretty good lately with player retention. We're up to 29 nobles now thanks to word of mouth. Lots of newbies, but most of them seem to stick around. I think we have a few old players returning to the game in Fissoa, too, from the sound of things.

Edit:

I should add that I don't think you'll see a big player boom until the war goes hot for you guys up north. Just the rumor of war isn't enough to sway people - they want blood.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
There have been no raids per se. Just one lonesome Astrumese noble moving through our northern lands but hasn't yet done any looting at all. Probably a scouter.

On another note, how is the player retention working for all? Niselur so far got only 2 new nobles, while I've noticed Astrum and Morek slightly bit more. I was hoping that the stakes of this war would attract much more players than this. Forum advertisement doesn't work, out of game forum advertisement is not much better, either. Lurking on IRC and wooing players seems like top of the game strategy these days. Any ideas how to bring in larger number of players? Without increase in the player base of Dwilight this war probably won't reach the magnitude I hoped it will.

The new nobles are likely from the South, as some faithful feel obliged to respond to the call of crusade against you. Despite what Mendicant would have had us believe, character counts rarely ever change in significant ways over a short period of time without later being found to be multies. Takes a lot of time for fun realms to attract new nobles, lest you absorb existing realms.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Fissoa's been doing pretty good lately with player retention. We're up to 29 nobles now thanks to word of mouth. Lots of newbies, but most of them seem to stick around. I think we have a few old players returning to the game in Fissoa, too, from the sound of things.

Edit:

I should add that I don't think you'll see a big player boom until the war goes hot for you guys up north. Just the rumor of war isn't enough to sway people - they want blood.
Yeah, post some screenies of the huge battles  :D

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
The new nobles are likely from the South, as some faithful feel obliged to respond to the call of crusade against you. Despite what Mendicant would have had us believe, character counts rarely ever change in significant ways over a short period of time without later being found to be multies. Takes a lot of time for fun realms to attract new nobles, lest you absorb existing realms.
Yeah thats not true. Now quit trying to bring up Mendicant in every post of yours. Also, he knows where they are coming from considering the game tells you when they join.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile

IRC is effective for getting new characters to your realm sometimes but if you really want a boost you need to step outside of BM's community because most all ready have as many characters as they care to have (or can have). Summerdale or Libero, one of the two got a large player increase due to some recruiting for BM on Dwarf Fortress Forums and they said whichever realm it was was going into a war and needed nobles and such. Going to a different gaming website, although best if somewhat similar type is IMO the best way to recruit more players. If you be an !@#$%^& though while communicating or playing that game you can really hurt BM's reputation as they then see you as what to expect when joining.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vonyx

• Freeman
    • View Profile
If someone would like to try and recruit new players I suppose the Paradox interactive forums would be a good choice.

Daimall

• Knight
    • View Profile
If someone would like to try and recruit new players I suppose the Paradox interactive forums would be a good choice.

Good idea, no doubt the Crusader Kings 2 forum is probably the best place to find people who stick to a game like this for sometime.

Vonyx

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Good idea, no doubt the Crusader Kings 2 forum is probably the best place to find people who stick to a game like this for sometime.

Well, off topic and/or the online RPG sub forum will probably be better. (As a thread created in CK2's forum would be moved to one of them)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yeah thats not true. Now quit trying to bring up Mendicant in every post of yours. Also, he knows where they are coming from considering the game tells you when they join.

Bull!@#$ it's not true. The only exceptions are from clans recruited over from other games, most of which are legit afaik, but such events are rather rare and rarely appear to be triggered by actual IG events.

Fun realms gain players slowly, and boring realms lose them slowly. Rapid increases are abnormal.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
....are you saying Asylon and Niselur don't have some pretty good RPers?

Yes, we have some pretty good players, but not players that want to destroy the SA, a very hard work of a lot of people, just because we like to mess around. Anyway, I already gave our reasons in game to march against some of our neighbors.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Bull!@#$ it's not true. The only exceptions are from clans recruited over from other games, most of which are legit afaik, but such events are rather rare and rarely appear to be triggered by actual IG events.

Fun realms gain players slowly, and boring realms lose them slowly. Rapid increases are abnormal.
Mmmm, I don't care for your conditional at all but after looking carefully at what you said I agree. I at first thought you said it never happens without them being multi's. Also, to your recent statement (the above) being recruited from another game doesn't make you clan and I would say it is highly likely to be triggered by actual IG events. A lot of people joined either Libero or Summerdale (I don't recall) because there was war there. Yes I do think one of the recruiter's realm was also the same, but they joined that realm because of the war making it not boring.
― G.K. Chesterton

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
There is a risk... I think it's good to attract people that want to know the game, not just join a side in mass to win the game like many other games are intended to be.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Mmmm, I don't care for your conditional at all but after looking carefully at what you said I agree. I at first thought you said it never happens without them being multi's. Also, to your recent statement (the above) being recruited from another game doesn't make you clan and I would say it is highly likely to be triggered by actual IG events. A lot of people joined either Libero or Summerdale (I don't recall) because there was war there. Yes I do think one of the recruiter's realm was also the same, but they joined that realm because of the war making it not boring.

Clans are not, by themselves, against the rules or bad for the game.