Author Topic: Great Dwilight War:Astrum defeats Asylon and Farronite forces.  (Read 267667 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Phantaria takes Saffalore, it seems Phantaria is on the rise, with old players returning.  Aurvandil seems to be eaten up at a surprising rate.

And the Chateau Saffalore has been all but abandoned. There is only one noble still there, I believe. And all of its militia has been disbanded. We're just going to walk in and plant the Golden Tree Banner on the Old Republic's capital building.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
And the Chateau Saffalore has been all but abandoned. There is only one noble still there, I believe. And all of its militia has been disbanded. We're just going to walk in and plant the Golden Tree Banner on the Old Republic's capital building.
From the numbers on the scout report, it looks like we could just send two people in and win. Obviously that's not the best course of action, but it'd be possible.

I'm curious why all the militia was disbanded. Did they just give up?
Sarwell Family - Alna (Phantaria), Rosnan (Ohnar West), Julian (Strombran)
New female characters start with an extra 10% skill in cooking and in cleaning.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I'm curious why all the militia was disbanded. Did they just give up?

They probably weren't getting paid and/or starving.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
They probably weren't getting paid and/or starving.
Right, forgot about upkeep costs.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Geronus' opinion came closest to my own. BM simply has no players left to spare, or Dwilight is not attractive enough. And yeah, I was not just hoping but also expecting that at least 10 nobles would join on each side of this war in the first few weeks. Obviously this was a gross miscalculation that I see now. However, BM always worked that way for such tense wars like this one is is a haven for the glory hunters which abound through BM universe. The latest example of Silnaria proves this formula still works, for due to good PR and the everlasting hatred for CE Silnaria has managed to gain impressive player reinforcements. I don't get it why Niselur didn't receive at least a tiny portion of that, for I believe the story is good and interesting and I am super sure that it has much more to offer than realms like Silnaria in both advancements and roleplay. In the end, it is quite same to me whether Niselur loses or wins, although normally I'd prefer to win. However, whichever way it goes I'd prefer it to be accompanied by much greater participation of many many more players than this.

I agree with that, but I would note that, until very recently, Dwiligjht's player retention track record was head-and-shoulders better than everywhere else except FEI. The continents formerly hemorrhaging players were Atamara and East Island. That may have changed now with the big wars in Atamara and a longish slow period for Dwilight.

I would suggest, however, that you may have misread what is attractive about "compelling stories." Compelling stories only attract new players if they are compelling stories you can't get anywhere else in BM or with long and extensive histories involving many players (historical grudge matches like Rio/Enweil, for example).

What has historically drawn players to Dwilight is Sanguis Astroism's hyper-dominance and the wilderness/colonization paradigm which, coupled with one character rules, allows lots of position turnover and new opportunities for new players. I recall a while back slaving away on some data I never finished about the average time in-game of dukes and rulers and such and found that Dwilight and Beluaterra were about half as long as the other continents.

My point is: if your war is perceived by players as ADDING something exciting and unique (Silverfire does a good job selling the idea that his various and sundry project realms will be exciting and unique) or plays into a longstanding feud (CE vs. The World), then it'll get the usual war-seeker bump. But if your war doesn't play into a long-term grudge match or isn't obviously a war FOR something unique, you won't see big player influxes: and a war for a benignly secular monarchy with some goals of limited expansion alongside its gang-banging allies in a long-distance war with few battles isn't really a compelling sell.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile

Hey, old buddy old pal... wanna be friends again? That whole theocracy thing, heh, you know that was just, well, hey let's let bygones be bygones, shall we?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Hey, old buddy old pal... wanna be friends again? That whole theocracy thing, heh, you know that was just, well, hey let's let bygones be bygones, shall we?

My love can be earned back; I'm not an unforgiving man....

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
Phantaria takes Saffalore, it seems Phantaria is on the rise, with old players returning.  Aurvandil seems to be eaten up at a surprising rate.

I though saffalore switch over to D'hara?  ??? did D'hara hand it over to Phantaria or am I mixing up my regions?
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I though saffalore switch over to D'hara?  ??? did D'hara hand it over to Phantaria or am I mixing up my regions?

It revolted, because 1) we didn't care for it and 2) the lord let it starve itself into rebellion. Phantaria then TOed it without any resistance whatsoever from anyone.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
It revolted, because 1) we didn't care for it and 2) the lord let it starve itself into rebellion. Phantaria then TOed it without any resistance whatsoever from anyone.
That's not technically true - Javier from Terran was there when we first attacked, and came back right before the TO was finished. But that was the entirety of the resistance.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Alright, now it can forever be a contested holy land.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
That's not technically true - Javier from Terran was there when we first attacked, and came back right before the TO was finished. But that was the entirety of the resistance.

Well, I meant any realm. What realm does Javier belong to anyways? His name doesn't sound familiar...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
Well, I meant any realm. What realm does Javier belong to anyways? His name doesn't sound familiar...
He's kind of new.

I believe he is the only "native Terranian" left - that is, someone who neither left Terran to begin with nor moved there after the theocratization.

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Just an update for the topic headline: Astrum has reclaimed Zereth from Niselur.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
It revolted, because 1) we didn't care for it

Well... you don't care for it NOW (at least publicly). Some of you D'Harans were pretty interested in it not very long ago.