Author Topic: Why so few Infiltrators?  (Read 31106 times)

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Why so few Infiltrators?
« Reply #30: June 28, 2013, 11:45:57 PM »
Damaging equipment of a noble's troops might be a handy low risk activity. Killing one scout/healer in a noble's entourage might be another.

It would be cool if an infiltrator could attempt to break another noble out of an enemy dungeon (probably needing to be in the enemy captial first). It would probably have to be another moderate-to-high risk activity, but I think it would be enjoyable.

Zakilevo

« Reply #31: June 28, 2013, 11:58:11 PM »
Damaging equipment of a noble's troops might be a handy low risk activity. Killing one scout/healer in a noble's entourage might be another.

It would be cool if an infiltrator could attempt to break another noble out of an enemy dungeon (probably needing to be in the enemy captial first). It would probably have to be another moderate-to-high risk activity, but I think it would be enjoyable.

+1 Good idea

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: June 29, 2013, 12:02:04 AM »
How would brigandage give you experience as an infiltrator? That's just another looting option.

Stabbing a farmer at night is easier than stabbing a noble. Stealing a tradesman's life savings is easier than stealing from tax-ninjas. They are basically expanded looting options, but I thought that was one of the points of infiltrators?

Making the peasantry a stomping ground for newbie infiltrators will give infiltrators something worthwhile (with low impact) to do while they develop the required stats to actually make an impact.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: June 29, 2013, 12:25:29 AM »
Make wounds last longer. I spent one week travelling to a neighbouring realm so I could stab a 70 year old duke, who was also ruler, general and judge. The duke recovered before he lost his city, before a different ruler, general and judge could be elected, and before I could even return home. I wasted more than triple as much time travelling as he did in his coma. Needless to say, I switched back to warrior class after that incident.

Zakilevo

« Reply #34: June 29, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »
Make wounds last longer. I spent one week travelling to a neighbouring realm so I could stab a 70 year old duke, who was also ruler, general and judge. The duke recovered before he lost his city, before a different ruler, general and judge could be elected, and before I could even return home. I wasted more than triple as much time travelling as he did in his coma. Needless to say, I switched back to warrior class after that incident.

This depends on how deep the wound is. Sometimes old nobles are down for at least a week.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: June 29, 2013, 02:14:25 AM »
This depends on how deep the wound is. Sometimes old nobles are down for at least a week.

Or more.

Like, 3 weeks or longer.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: June 29, 2013, 03:21:46 AM »
This....is just one of the various issues that the dev team recognizes, and hopes to change, but since there's basically just me working on code right now, I'm afraid it's going to have to wait.

If you've got suggestions for how to rework the way infiltrator training works (and at this point, feel free to consider absolutely anything, including massive changes to the way the class functions, as long as they preserve game balance—bearing in mind that the balance may currently be slanted slightly against infiltrators...), I welcome more ideas.

Make priest/infil a class and you will have 20-30 more priests and infiltrators within a few days, probably on each island.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: June 29, 2013, 04:38:24 AM »
Make priest/infil a class and you will have 20-30 more priests and infiltrators within a few days, probably on each island.

See above re: "balance".

There will never be an infiltrator (in the form that they currently exist) that can move like priests and advies.

I've already got to solve the problem of infiltrators taking ship in the middle of the turn.

And I'm tempted to do so by making it an automatic caught-red-handed if they've done anything in the region that turn.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: June 29, 2013, 04:51:29 AM »
See above re: "balance".

There will never be an infiltrator (in the form that they currently exist) that can move like priests and advies.

I've already got to solve the problem of infiltrators taking ship in the middle of the turn.

And I'm tempted to do so by making it an automatic caught-red-handed if they've done anything in the region that turn.

Yeah, priest/infiltrator would be both ludicrously dangerous from a mechanics standpoint and a tiny bit difficult to justify from an IC perspective.
Sarwell Family - Alna (Phantaria), Rosnan (Ohnar West), Julian (Strombran)
New female characters start with an extra 10% skill in cooking and in cleaning.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: June 29, 2013, 09:51:49 AM »
Infiltrators are broken because they do not fit the atmosphere of the game. They are not and cannot be taken seriously. Infiltrators are assassins, they are something people should fear.

No one fears infiltrators, they loathe them because they are annoying. They make your game experience annoying, dull, and tiresome.

---

"Oh, great I got stabbed again."

"oh goody, an RP from the "bad ass" infiltrator who never actually kills anything and is 'my worst nightmare.'"

"awesome, now I get to wait a week to play my character again."

---

They just aren't fun in any way.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #40: June 29, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
Infiltrators are broken because they do not fit the atmosphere of the game. They are not and cannot be taken seriously. Infiltrators are assassins, they are something people should fear.

No one fears infiltrators, they loathe them because they are annoying. They make your game experience annoying, dull, and tiresome.

---

"Oh, great I got stabbed again."

"oh goody, an RP from the "bad ass" infiltrator who never actually kills anything and is 'my worst nightmare.'"

"awesome, now I get to wait a week to play my character again."

---

They just aren't fun in any way.

I'd look to increase the variety of things they can do so that they can be useful infiltrating rather than just assassinating. So no, I wouldn't say infiltrators are necessarily assassins, despite that being the most famous use of them.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: June 29, 2013, 02:14:52 PM »
Disabling is just a bad mechanic in any game. "I want to play the game. Oh you won't let me play the game? I'll take my business elsewhere then."

Getting locked out and unable to play your noble should be an OOC punishment, not something that fellow players can inflict on you.
------
qui audet vincit

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: June 29, 2013, 06:00:18 PM »
I'd look to increase the variety of things they can do so that they can be useful infiltrating rather than just assassinating. So no, I wouldn't say infiltrators are necessarily assassins, despite that being the most famous use of them.

I'd actually agree with this.

Message interception/theft would be a KILLER skill.

And I also agree about the horrible annoyingness of being repeatedly stabbed, especially for an older character.

But infils being able to intercept messages a character receives while in the same region, or maybe have the ability to cash bonds abroad at a penalized rate, would be nice skills that would make sense.

And I was 99% joking about priest/infil. ;)
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: June 29, 2013, 10:03:18 PM »

Message interception/theft would be a KILLER skill.

But infils being able to intercept messages a character receives while in the same region,

Only thing with that is that the Devs and Tom think that that would just encourage people to stop using IG communication channels and start using OOG communication.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: June 29, 2013, 10:22:48 PM »
I know this is kind of out there, but how about being able to buy untraceable mercenaries. Something that works similar to monster scrolls, but an infiltrator can use gold instead of scrolls to pop up a monster/undead horde.

..and don't give me no guff about monsters/undead not wanting gold, cause they damn sure want it when you are in their dungeon.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)