Author Topic: Dwilight University's Newspaper Revival Project  (Read 5766 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I try to ignore it here, too.

Thing is, it's worse in a newspaper format. In the forum, you can at least provide your own viewpoint of the same topic. In newspapers, you generally can't. And even if you do have a paper that allows you to voice your opinion (as I tried to do with the open-to-all Dwilight Daily) it's a lot more work to write a newspaper article than to respond to the forums. Also, newspapers, as IC instruments, tend to require you to at least make an effort to do it from an IC standpoint, as opposed to the forums where you can just make quick, off-the-cuff rebuttals.

Maybe it's just me, though. I seem to see most "newspapers" these days as no different than post-battle trash talking. It seldom bears any resemblance to reality, and is just about as repetitive and unoriginal. "Realm X is a bunch of cowards, look how they run before our righteous might! We're the courageous righters-of-wrongs, they're the evil/corrupt/greedy/imperialistic dogs. etc." Been there. Done that. You can probably recycle almost any newspaper that's ever been done, and just change the realm names.

Now, what would really get my attention in a newspaper is one that avoids publishing the standard propaganda and yellow journalism, and actually makes an attempt to post unbiased, in-depth analysis of events.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.