Author Topic: Player Harassment and Creation of a Toxic Atmosphere  (Read 41439 times)

BattleMaster Server

Summary:Player Harassment and Creation of a Toxic Atmosphere
Violation:Social Contract: Fair Play
World:Atamara
Complainer:TH
About:Jason

Full Complaint Text:
The Player of Jason Elegant along with various other members of the League of the Eagle have contributed to creating a toxic atmosphere for play, and have focused harass and abuse to myself as a player over the course of the past month.

List of contributing players:

Jason Elegant (primary)

Enri Kinsey (secondary)

Ottar Perkeleet (contributing)

Luthor Forbes (contributing)

Zadar Nargath (contributing)

Ivore Whiteblood (contributing)

Virgo Blue Star (contributing)

Archymond Paxwax (contributing, apologized)

The Social Contract reads:

•       Â Â  Playing together is more important to us than playing against each other. We expect you to play the game as you would play a board game with good friends, and to value fair play above any victory or power.

•    

•       Â Â Â  No verbal attacks, insults or harassment of other players. Err on the side of caution, especially if you don't know the other player well.

•    

•       Â Â Â  Note that during roleplays, characters can be played as aggressive, as long as it is clear and obvious that the opposite character is the target, not the player behind him.

The basis of the following evidence is that the accused parties have created an atmosphere which is explictly targeted against myself as a player and the use of OOC messages and ongoing themes of OOC content to harass me, ridicule me or my realm, or to convince players using OOC means that my character shouldn't be trusted instead of using IC means.

Specifically, OOC jabs at my realm's name and the name of my character began a month ago, quickly followed by OOC statements that my character is "evil", "manipulative", "can't be trusted", etc...and the finally adoption of these same OOC comparisons into letters which while given "IC letterhead" are neither *clear* nor *obvious* that it is targeted at my character and not myself the player.

Overall, this seems to be an orchestrated, group-wide effort by members of the League of the Eagle on Atamara, primarily leaders which includes two rulers, and government members both past and present to harass and ridicule me as a player for taking an IC action. While levels of contribution to this vary, and I believe the punishments (if proven guilty) should vary as well, it is important to remember that a higher standard should be held for government members in this game. They are teaching new players and those below them that such an atmosphere is acceptable.

Finally, Jason Elegant's player in particular should receive a harsh punishment because he has already been warned by the Magistrates before for this same action. This is a repeated offense. For him at least, I request an extended account lock punishment, and a multi-month ban on government positions. Other government members contributing to this should also not allowed to continue such action, but as contributions to this infraction vary, I'll await further discussion by magistrates on that issue.

Evidence will follow via a forum post. (easier to format)