Author Topic: Closing Islands ?  (Read 127832 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Closing Islands ?
« Reply #45: July 18, 2013, 10:47:38 PM »
So far it looks like people want/ have suggested-

1) War Islands back
2) Chop of bits of islands
3) Merge islands
4) Old players to come back
5) Character limits
6) Kill an island

Honestly, i don't see how option three is realistic without redrawing maps, as it won't increase player density, rather, it would reduce it. Option 5 is also unrealistic- we added a fourth character not too long ago, and that really hasn't helped in the long term at all, although I'm all for opening up 3 noble slots for newbies.

Bringing the war islands back would be an interesting experiment, but Tom doesn't seem too thrilled about it. IMO, what was unique about the War Islands was the no diplomacy FFA, and from a tactical perspective, the (more or less) radial symmetry of the map, which balanced it towards this purpose. Now the former should be pretty easy to replicate on any other island, and the latter might be possible (though difficult) for some of the existing continents, with a little bit of redrawing, similar to what was done to BT after the Fifth Invasion. I'd volunteer to do a little Gimp work if it came to that.

So, rather than bring back the old war islands wholesale, why not convert one modified continent into a new war island? Keep the current realms, so the players don't feel totally uprooted/angry, and allow for a continental free for all. Should this get more players on board, great, if it doesn't more drastic approach like sinking islands can be considered.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell