Author Topic: Thank You  (Read 4124 times)

Eirikr

Thank You
« Topic Start: July 20, 2013, 03:01:58 PM »
With all these recent topics and the very public nature of some major issues recently, I'd like to take a moment to thank the volunteers who keep this game running. I hope this entire topic is filled with only and outpouring of support for those who perform very difficult tasks to keep the game running and improving just as something extra they've decided to do.

• Thank you Tom for this unique and wonderful game. It's not perfect of course, but nothing is, and you're a lot better off than most!
  • Thank you Devs for consistently working to make it more perfect, behind the scenes. It's not an easy job, but even some of the bigger staffed paid games have worse support! What you do (and so quickly) is amazing.
  • Thank you, Titans and Magistrates, you are given an unusually difficult task, but you do the best you can. No matter how connected you are or how invested you are in the situation, I almost always see you step back and look as objectively as possible. I know this takes a lot of focus; keep it up, you're doing great!
  • Thank you to the forum mods as well. It can be crazy, especially with the volume of posts each day, but I can see the crackdown and I know it's making the game a better place. You can't ever change someone's mind, but you can at least ensure they don't make a fool of themselves in a moment of passion.
  • And finally, thanks to the players. Yes, you too are volunteers and without you, there would be no game. There would be no collection of such brilliant minds as I see in BattleMaster. I am consistently impressed by the writing, the roleplay, and the ability for players to machinate diplomatic and military strategies rivaling modern-day real world choices. Despite the medieval atmosphere and perpetual wars, in some ways, I'd feel safer if I lived in BM!

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: Thank You
« Reply #1: July 20, 2013, 03:22:40 PM »
I second you in all you said.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 20, 2013, 04:56:36 PM »
Agree, can never say thank you enough.

I do question your feelings on being safer in BM.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 20, 2013, 05:06:59 PM »
I can only agree. It is amazing when I think about the fact that I created my account the 3rd of january, 2005. That is a long time ago and despite pausing sometimes, I always seem to come back.

Thank you!
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Eirikr

« Reply #4: July 20, 2013, 06:50:53 PM »
Agree, can never say thank you enough.

I do question your feelings on being safer in BM.

Safer in that I've seen some strategies here that seem much more thought out than in real life (or so it seems). But, of course, that also disregards plagues, quality of living, etc. that were also with medieval times.

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: July 20, 2013, 08:01:41 PM »
Indeed. Can't thank all the people who work on this game enough :) What a fantastic game.

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 20, 2013, 08:02:25 PM »
Safer in that I've seen some strategies here that seem much more thought out than in real life (or so it seems). But, of course, that also disregards plagues, quality of living, etc. that were also with medieval times.
The real reason military strategy in BM works so well is because you don't have to worry about complicated logistics as much, I suppose. In real life there's an almost infinite array of things that could screw up the strategy, but by its very nature BM is a bit more predictable.
Sarwell Family - Alna (Phantaria), Rosnan (Ohnar West), Julian (Strombran)
New female characters start with an extra 10% skill in cooking and in cleaning.

Eirikr

« Reply #7: July 20, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »
The real reason military strategy in BM works so well is because you don't have to worry about complicated logistics as much, I suppose. In real life there's an almost infinite array of things that could screw up the strategy, but by its very nature BM is a bit more predictable.

Oh no doubt. But there's other things like I feel like some of the rulers (the guys who play actually super honorable blokes) are people I'd much rather see as president, y'know? :P

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 20, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Oh no doubt. But there's other things like I feel like some of the rulers (the guys who play actually super honorable blokes) are people I'd much rather see as president, y'know? :P
That's true too. There are plenty of good characters, and good players behind them.
Sarwell Family - Alna (Phantaria), Rosnan (Ohnar West), Julian (Strombran)
New female characters start with an extra 10% skill in cooking and in cleaning.

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 20, 2013, 11:06:23 PM »
Actually, I often find the bad characters (not to be confused with bad players) to be more interesting. And also more realistic, for the setting.

But yes, I too am grateful for all the people, both officials and players, who keep this game running. It's tough to maintain a game like this where the emphasis is not on winning, but on playing, and the efforts of those who do maintain it should not go overlooked.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: July 22, 2013, 11:56:54 PM »
Thanks you all.

Making people happy and giving them something to play with is the main reason we all keep doing this. It's just a joy to see people loving the game after so much time. And it is great to have people actually say "thanks".

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 23, 2013, 09:42:45 AM »
yeah, we tend to whine a lot instead of be gracious(? is that a word... but sound good!) that we are even able to play this game... been around for a while... and gotta admit, i have prolly whined 10 if not 20 times more than said something positive :D

So, big thanks to Tom for this game... and that you have had strenght to listen our whining :)
~Violence is always an option!~

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 24, 2013, 05:36:47 AM »
yeah, we tend to whine a lot instead of be gracious(? is that a word... but sound good!) that we are even able to play this game... been around for a while... and gotta admit, i have prolly whined 10 if not 20 times more than said something positive :D

So, big thanks to Tom for this game... and that you have had strenght to listen our whining :)
Gracious is in fact a word, but I think you are thinking of grateful although I could be wrong.

Thank you all for your time. The Devs do great, especially with all the criticism and whining that is said. I would also like to thank the Magistrates who do their best to be just and keep BM a fair and good place to play. Thank you to the forum mods for doing their best to keep the forum a good place to be. Thank you to Tim/Anaris for your IRC bots making IRC a better place. Thank you to all the great roleplayers who give us stories to read. Thank you to all the great players of BM. And thank you to anything else I missed.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 30, 2013, 02:17:08 PM »
Thanks guys :) Your work has meant a lot to me, and still does.