Author Topic: Repairing regions  (Read 5808 times)

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
Repairing regions
« Topic Start: July 27, 2013, 02:50:44 AM »
Agh, Saffalorian peasants are like rabid dogs. I try to hold court and one runs in and stabs me.

Is this... is this actually a thing!? That's awesome!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:03:32 AM by Velax »
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
It sure is. If loyalty is too low, the peasants will disrupt the court session, possibly wounding the lord.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
It sure is. If loyalty is too low, the peasants will disrupt the court session, possibly wounding the lord.
Looks like some police work is in order.
Sarwell Family - Alna (Phantaria), Rosnan (Ohnar West), Julian (Strombran)
New female characters start with an extra 10% skill in cooking and in cleaning.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Looks like some police work is in order.

What on earth for? Police work doesn't raise loyalty.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile

Hanging dozens of peasants is pretty cathartic though.

Wait, that's another option still.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
What does it do, then? It seems to me that there's not much else it could do.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
What does it do, then? It seems to me that there's not much else it could do.

It raises control.

Which, usually, is your #1 priority.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It raises control.

Correct.

Which, usually, is your #1 priority.

A popular misconception.

If you want to repair a region, your #1 priority should be loyalty. With loyalty low, you can't hold court, which is critical, and as loyalty rises, it will drag the other stats up with it, much faster than the others will exert a similar effect.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
So how does one raise loyalty?

Also, why is there a 100% fail chance for holding court when loyalty is low? Seems a little too strict.

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Get a diplomat to raise loyalty.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Hold courts to raise loyalty. Also, courtier work and diplomat work.

It is not 100% fail. I hav seen courts work with very, very low loyalty.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

T Strike

• Noble Lord
  • What happened?
    • View Profile
I always start at around 25%
Westmoor: Cross... Coria: Yenom... Caelum: Gawain... Astrum: Ekirt

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
A popular misconception.

If you want to repair a region, your #1 priority should be loyalty. With loyalty low, you can't hold court, which is critical, and as loyalty rises, it will drag the other stats up with it, much faster than the others will exert a similar effect.

I'm not inclined to agree, though I'm not a coder. I've held many successful courts despite atrocious loyalty. Low control also leads to more riots, which causes more TC stat drops. Low loyalty+high control means that they protest, but it doesn't get ugly, so stats improve thanks to being able to express themselves.

Holding courts to raise loyalty doesn't seem effective... What kind of court would you hold? All of them seem to have a rather random effect on loyalty...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Personal experience from a long past that may very well be wrong:

Just courts at about 20%-25% (20% can still be pretty risky at times) is the thumb rule and allows you to get Loyalty up to a point where you can keep holding Courts and the peasants don't hate your guts anymore. Moral gets up as loyalty gets up so it's not a main concern. I believe peasants expressing themselves just raises moral a bit, while loyalty is the important one. You want control up just to a point to ensure they don't revolt while you repair the region but that's about it for control.

That said, better way to repair a region is let it go rogue. Send in an Ambassador after it and raise sympathy without having the stat drop every day because they hate your rule. Then take over the region as soon as sympathy is decent so you can just hold courts and be happy.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Personal experience from a long past that may very well be wrong:

Just courts at about 20%-25% (20% can still be pretty risky at times) is the thumb rule and allows you to get Loyalty up to a point where you can keep holding Courts and the peasants don't hate your guts anymore. Moral gets up as loyalty gets up so it's not a main concern. I believe peasants expressing themselves just raises moral a bit, while loyalty is the important one. You want control up just to a point to ensure they don't revolt while you repair the region but that's about it for control.

That said, better way to repair a region is let it go rogue. Send in an Ambassador after it and raise sympathy without having the stat drop every day because they hate your rule. Then take over the region as soon as sympathy is decent so you can just hold courts and be happy.

I don't agree it's a better way to let it go rogue. You need to then wait for the ambassador to fully fix sympathy, probably watch the region's pop go down in the meanwhile due to starvation, then send in the whole army again to do the takeover, suffer starvation losses, then resume the efforts to increase both control and morale, with starvation probably lowering loyalty right away until you can get that fixed...

The last two regions I worked on had like 1% loyalty to begin with, and only once was a court disrupted. Once realm control is at Core, I can spend my time on ambassador work to improve loyalty without a problem. But before that, low control tends to cause riots that brings the rest of it down with it. It also tends to result in kicked-out lords, which also doesn't help.