Author Topic: Limited Wars  (Read 49127 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Limited Wars
« Reply #150: August 22, 2013, 12:09:28 AM »
Remove CS numbers from scout reports. There's no logical reason to be able to assess that. All you should see is the rough number of men in each unit, and what they are (infantry, cavalry, etc.). I also think SF should look like normal infantry to scouts. Might add a bit more uncertainty into the strategic game since you can't be sure just how good the enemy troops are; all you know is how many of them there are.

Good God, that sounds like a horrendous idea. Do you want to make everyone run screaming from the General position? :P

It's hard enough for players to properly evaluate relative strengths of armies, what with factors like army composition, movement rate, siege engines, etc. Removing CS from scout reports wouldn't just make it impossible for Generals to asses enemy armies, it would make it impossible to assess their own! And seeing SF as Infantry just doesn't make sense. You might as well say that Archers should look like Infantry; after all, when they're lounging around the camp, you can't tell if they fight with a bow or a sword.

No. I do not think this would help in any way, shape, or form.

Uncertainty can be added by other means, if we really feel that it's necessary. Crippling (or removing, since this would make people scout a lot less) the one tool people have for knowing what's going on around them is not the way to do that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan