Poll

How do you feel about playing in Madina?

As soon as I get the oportunity i will start a character there.
0 (0%)
I started playing right now!
1 (5%)
Never ever, over my dead body!
14 (70%)
No, but if.... I would(please explain, comment below)
1 (5%)
I'm not sure
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: May 17, 2011, 12:37:31 PM

Author Topic: Madina needs YOU!  (Read 77446 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Madina needs YOU!
« Reply #90: May 25, 2011, 10:53:20 PM »
some new development in the south: [[Republican Herald]]
doesn't look good for Aurvendil.

Madina got some frustrating days trying to appoint a duke in Madina City.

Actually, Aurvandil is being quite clever.

I believe they are making two bets:
1. Madina will not/can not launch a big attack on them in the near future
2. A powerful rural base is most important to survive the winter

As such, they are clustering food in rural and townsland regions, starving the city, betting that its decreased food demand will allow them to run a food surplus faster. Or they have a generalized food deficit, and they are just prioritizing rurals.

Prioritizing rural development is absolutely necessary in tight food situations. For Aurvandil, they may be trying to "curb demand" for food in advance of the winter, while simultaneously boosting supply. The only major losses to that strategy are:
1. Gold
2. Region loyalty

Candiels is the capital of a small realm with devoted nobles, so loyalty can be maintained readily enough. Gold is a serious issue, so I suspect they're just betting on no long-run large-scale war with Madina.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #91: May 25, 2011, 11:01:11 PM »

They are. Tom has always said that if you choose to starve your rural regions over your city, then you're doing it wrong... If they let their rurals starve, their city will starve in the end regardless. They're making the smart choice.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92: May 26, 2011, 12:28:47 AM »
I sure hope that's not the Church of Humanity. If it's anything like what it was when it was founded, It's about as far from SMA as a religion can get.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93: May 26, 2011, 04:03:44 AM »
They are. Tom has always said that if you choose to starve your rural regions over your city, then you're doing it wrong... If they let their rurals starve, their city will starve in the end regardless. They're making the smart choice.

Absolutely. If you starve your rurals, their production will drop to 0%. Who then will feed your city? You'll have locked yourself in a vicious cycle of doom.

In D'Hara, our cities frequently (more or less) starve. However, our townslands and rurals only starved when we were in deep !@#$.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #94: May 26, 2011, 04:04:50 AM »
It is, but the Church isn't like how it was when it was founded.  One day I need to pick up the initiative to start tweaking the wiki pages. 

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #95: May 26, 2011, 07:35:57 AM »
It is, but the Church isn't like how it was when it was founded.  One day I need to pick up the initiative to start tweaking the wiki pages.

why did he came alone then?
Will be hard to start a religion on your own.

When you start it just make sure it is not called church of 'humanity', or any other ridiculous name.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #96: May 26, 2011, 07:39:53 AM »

I believe they are making two bets:
1. Madina will not/can not launch a big attack on them in the near future
2. A powerful rural base is most important to survive the winter

As such, they are clustering food in rural and townsland regions, starving the city, betting that its decreased food demand will allow them to run a food surplus faster. Or they have a generalized food deficit, and they are just prioritizing rurals.

Prioritizing rural development is absolutely necessary in tight food situations. For Aurvandil, they may be trying to "curb demand" for food in advance of the winter, while simultaneously boosting supply. The only major losses to that strategy are:
1. Gold
2. Region loyalty

Candiels is the capital of a small realm with devoted nobles, so loyalty can be maintained readily enough. Gold is a serious issue, so I suspect they're just betting on no long-run large-scale war with Madina.

Obviously the news paper is biased.
However I don't think the above sounds that clever, it is rather obvious.
the point is that if they'd planned there secession better or even tried to do it peacefully, they wouldn't be starving...
They could've easily prepared themselves alot better.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #97: May 26, 2011, 08:58:20 AM »
why did he came alone then?
I don't understand.  Could you reword that so it makes sense?  Does a missionary need armies to convert people?
Will be hard to start a religion on your own.
Perhaps, but the character has already found people interested in the faith.  In Madina.

When you start it just make sure it is not called church of 'humanity', or any other ridiculous name.
How is "Church of Humanity" ridiculous when our characters are based in worlds plagued by marauding bands of Undead, Monsters, and Daimons/Demons (not to mention the occasional elf on EC)?  If anything, based on the surroundings, it makes perfect sense.  Especially when there ARE daimon worshiping cults out there.

While I understand Dwilight is the "Serious Medieval Atmosphere" island/continent, it's still a medieval fantasy environment, so long as there are undead, monsters, and daimons lurking about.  Not to mention the wizards that Adventurers can find and the scrolls that enable us to cast magic.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for a BM island based on Europe/the Mediterranean region with bandits instead of undead and rogue mercenary companies instead of monsters...  But I don't see that happening any time soon.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #98: May 26, 2011, 12:38:05 PM »
Obviously the news paper is biased.
However I don't think the above sounds that clever, it is rather obvious.
the point is that if they'd planned there secession better or even tried to do it peacefully, they wouldn't be starving...
They could've easily prepared themselves alot better.

Meh, they'll have more food for exports next season.

Good for us. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #99: May 26, 2011, 12:55:23 PM »
I love how D'Hara forms an opinion on everyone solely based on how much food they bring in for us ;)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #100: May 26, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
I don't understand.  Could you reword that so it makes sense?  Does a missionary need armies to convert people?Perhaps, but the character has already found people interested in the faith.  In Madina.
How is "Church of Humanity" ridiculous when our characters are based in worlds plagued by marauding bands of Undead, Monsters, and Daimons/Demons (not to mention the occasional elf on EC)?  If anything, based on the surroundings, it makes perfect sense.  Especially when there ARE daimon worshiping cults out there.

While I understand Dwilight is the "Serious Medieval Atmosphere" island/continent, it's still a medieval fantasy environment, so long as there are undead, monsters, and daimons lurking about.  Not to mention the wizards that Adventurers can find and the scrolls that enable us to cast magic.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for a BM island based on Europe/the Mediterranean region with bandits instead of undead and rogue mercenary companies instead of monsters...  But I don't see that happening any time soon.

Your right, however a church of humanity would implicate that there can be churches for animals or plants, or even those horrible creatures.
Or that all humans would be equal beings.
That is ridiculous for a SMA island.

By the way your looking at things you can be always right because this is BM and not the real world, so everything is right because you can't measure it/define it.
SMA can't be exactly defined, there are no exact boundaries and issues like these lay very close to those boundaries.
Is it acceptable or not?
I am not sure if i really know what my personal opinion would be.

Ideally, everything should be possible and the SMA it's self should work in disadvantage to what ever would fall outside it. (for example i start a church for peasants only and the rest of the nobility destroy it at all cost or force it change because it treat's there nobility)
I am not sure if it really works that way (anymore).

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #101: May 26, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »
Your right, however a church of humanity would implicate that there can be churches for animals or plants, or even those horrible creatures.
Or that all humans would be equal beings.
That is ridiculous for a SMA island.

That is very shaky logic. We have a Church of the Latter Day Saints. Do we also have a Church of the Earlier Day Saints? Nor does a simple name like Church of Humanity inherently suggest that all humans are ranked equal, any more then the fact that both peasants and nobles can be counted within the faithful.

In fact if you want to get technical the Catholic Church long held the view that all were equal before God, it was just something they never seemed that interested in applying in the mundane world.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #102: May 26, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
I would say that the final judgment of whether the Church of Humanity is appropriate in the SMA environment depends on what it preaches in the end. The name is quite ambiguous.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103: May 26, 2011, 04:34:03 PM »
That is because when CoH started, it was a completely ambiguous "religion". It had no true core beliefs. It had no real "god" or divine power. Every noble was free to worship whatever god he wished. Its core tenets were more akin to a knightly order than any actual religion.

Now that I look back on it, it's kind of funny that the religion was formed via a temporary lordship, of the city of Perdan, no less, by a character named "Shallow". Oh, how things were different back then...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #104: May 26, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »
I see nothing against a religion called the "Church of Humanity".  The Manifest Path, which I recently founded in PeL, I even briefly considered naming that for good reason.  Leaving aside the Tyr-ist sect (oh the joys of religious politics and sacrificing doctrine for power) the Path holds that everything other than humans is pretty much evil and needs to be eradicated and that human civilization needs to be spread to the rest of Dwilight.

Certainly, a religion with no explicit theology or beliefs would be non-SMA, but that's a different story from slamming a religion simply because it is called the Church of Humanity.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"