Author Topic: Sinking islands question  (Read 2989 times)

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Sinking islands question
« Topic Start: September 09, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »
I saw that survey thing about the need ofsinking at least one island whn you log in.
Well, what hapens to the character, noble or adventurer. We can move them to another island?
Also what hapens to the character number per island limitation that is in place now?
It will change?
Will we have a cool roleplay mesage before the sinking? That would be nice. We could say Overlord did it.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:45:53 AM by mikm »

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
Re: Sinking islands question
« Reply #1: September 09, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »
1) Character, nobles and adventurers can be moved to another island. Tom has also mentioned about moving entire realms to other island, though I don remember reading any details on how it would be done exactly.
2) I am pretty sure, the character limitation will still be in place. Realms in the freezed island will just have to take into account character limitations when deciding which island to go to.
3) The island chosen will probably be freezed instead of sank. It will be up to Tom if there is going to be any RP. Players can make up RPs to explain the phenomenon anyways.

Disclaimer: this is just based on what I read and remember from the thread on closing islands
http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,4894.0.html
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 09, 2013, 01:34:21 PM »
The details are not yet finalized. Tom has not been favorable to the idea of freezing rather than sinking an island, though.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: September 09, 2013, 02:08:17 PM »
Actually, I am very strongly in favor of freezing.

It would be stupid of us to delete an island now, and who knows, in two years we have lots of players and need a new island to cope, would we create a new one then? No, we would unfreeze one.

Characters on the frozen/sunken island will not count towards your limits while it is frozen. So you can leave them there, if you want, but you won't be able to access them. Not even to move them off the island later on. There will be a deadline for moving, and after that, everything is put into limbo.

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 09, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »

Characters on the frozen/sunken island will not count towards your limits while it is frozen. So you can leave them there, if you want, but you won't be able to access them. Not even to move them off the island later on. There will be a deadline for moving, and after that, everything is put into limbo.

Including these characters positions?

Ps how do you imagine migrating complete realms?
Simply take away regions from existing realms and players?
Or will regions first turn rogue by some kind of factor(i thought i read you writing that somewhere)?
If the existing realms shrink considerably and there player count increase considerably, your sure the powers in those realms will change and secessions/rebellions and colonies will happen much sooner.

Also how much longer will the survey take, any statistics for us yet?
I am sure i am not the only one who cant wait to see a final decision.
As has been said before, this should happen as soon as possible.
Brutus the Brute - Kleptes the Thief - Atreus the Brave - Alucina the Lucid

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 09, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »
Perhaps the RP can be something like that the entire island starts becoming uninhabitable, flora and fauna dying out.. Plague, (though I would love a Zombie Apocalypse since we have many zombie characters :P), diseases. Peasants starting to live nomadic lives, bandits and monster forces taking advantage of the situation! Economy collapsing due to the starvation and lack of manpower. . . Just an idea!
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

egamma

« Reply #6: September 09, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »
Perhaps the RP can be something like that the entire island starts becoming uninhabitable, flora and fauna dying out.. Plague, (though I would love a Zombie Apocalypse since we have many zombie characters :P), diseases. Peasants starting to live nomadic lives, bandits and monster forces taking advantage of the situation! Economy collapsing due to the starvation and lack of manpower. . . Just an idea!

I think we need to determine the specific island first, and then maybe set up a second poll for the players on that island, to determine what they would prefer to happen.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: September 09, 2013, 06:40:18 PM »
As Tim said, many details are not yet final, so I can't answer most of the questions here. But we have a server move to worry about first anyways.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 09, 2013, 11:46:50 PM »
Including these characters positions?

Ps how do you imagine migrating complete realms?
Simply take away regions from existing realms and players?
Or will regions first turn rogue by some kind of factor(i thought i read you writing that somewhere)?
If the existing realms shrink considerably and there player count increase considerably, your sure the powers in those realms will change and secessions/rebellions and colonies will happen much sooner.

Also how much longer will the survey take, any statistics for us yet?
I am sure i am not the only one who cant wait to see a final decision.
As has been said before, this should happen as soon as possible.

Migrating whole realms sound like a real headache. How would you go about deciding which realms lose which regions, or deciding where new realms should have their capital etc. You would be likely to
a) Annoy the realm that lost their city(ies) and regions to make space for the new realm
b) Annoy the migrating realm because their location, size, region composition is not as good as the one they just lost.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Eirikr

« Reply #9: September 10, 2013, 12:55:02 AM »

Perhaps a minor point, but would we still be able to delete said characters as well? In case, I dunno, we decided during the limbo not to bring them back.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: September 10, 2013, 02:23:22 AM »
Perhaps a minor point, but would we still be able to delete said characters as well? In case, I dunno, we decided during the limbo not to bring them back.

Probably not even that.

Migrating whole realms sound like a real headache.

It is, but please leave the discussion of details for some other topic.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 24, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »
I would like to suggest that, when looking at the results of that survey, you look up the statistics for "how many players voted to keep this island despite not playing here" and "how many players voted to sink this island despite playing here", otherwise, the result is pretty much bound to be some popularity contest where the vast majority of players simply vote for where they play, inevitably granting a significant advantage to continents with high numbers of players regardless of their worth.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: September 24, 2013, 02:39:11 PM »
We will most definitely look at things in relative ways, not just absolute numbers. If 10 of 10 people like something, it is a better something compared to 20 of 100 people liking some other something.