Author Topic: Tournaments, Pt. 3: Personalize How the Match is Fought  (Read 1558 times)

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
Title: Tournaments, Pt. 3: Personalize How the Match is Fought

Summary:

Currently, tournament matches run without any input from the player/character. I'd like that to change, and to allow players some measure of control over the matches their character fights.

Details:

- before a round is calculated, allow players the option to select from one of three or so options for each match, dependent on what type of match it is: joust or melee. (Such as: "aggressive, defensive, throw match, balanced" strategies, or "low, high, throw match: - or whatever.)
- this is mostly so that knights will have the option of throwing a match, or losing intentionally - therefore eliminating themselves from the rest of that part of the tournament
- when attempting to throw a match, a knight's relevant skill (swordfighting or horsemanship) is tested. The higher the skill, the more chance that knight has of their deceit going unnoticed. The lower their skill, the more chance they have of being found out.
- knights who are found to have thrown a match lose prestige and honour instead of gaining it

Benefits:

- allows for backroom dealings, match fixing, and would allow people to lose intentionally against their liege lords, Kings, and other Rulers if they so desire.

Possible Exploits:

- people might try to rig entire tournaments this way, in order to keep prize money within the realm that sponsored the tournament, or to increase the chance of other members of their realm from winning - not sure if that's an actual exploit though, since other realms could denounce those who do so, and there would be a way to determine (failing to hide a thrown match) if somebody is acting dishonorably. Also, rigging tournaments sounds awesome and would be a good excuse for realms to war each other.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
+1. Awesome!
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
This is deeply impractical, for the same reasons that allowing any personal input into combat tactics is impractical. There is no way to know before the tournament starts who you will be going up against in any but the first round, and given that your Part 2 is almost certainly not going to be implemented, that means that any decisions would have to be made while the turn is running.

There is no way we are ever going to implement a feature that would only be of any benefit to people willing and able to be spam-clicking "refresh" during the turn change.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan