Author Topic: Expecting the wrong type of Roleplaying game  (Read 15557 times)

Tel

• Peasant
    • View Profile
I'm wondering how many others may agree or disagree with what this topic entails.

Battlemaster isn't a peaceful roleplaying game -- you aren't sitting around a Dungeon and Dragons game where all your characters are on the same team and your roleplaying out an experience working together against some non-human entity, that would be a form of non-competitive roleplaying.  Battlemaster is a type of roleplaying game where your competing against other players; your making plans to take over other realms controlled by players, carefully stepping your way up the social ladder to rise above others in glory or personal ambition, or leading a conquest of personal honor or the unification of all lands and factions.  Perhaps you could throw the words 'peace' in there someplace, but it really doesn't seem to fit into Battlemaster as either a long-term concept or even natural concept to consider in the Battlemaster lore.

Yet for all that, I've seen a fair few situations around the Battlemaster community over the years where people seem to reveal they don't see Battlemaster as... well Battlemaster.  From the discussion mailing lists to IRC tidbits, to the wiki and, more recently, the forums located here -- people have discussed in a combination of OOC and IC around how Battlemaster could be a peaceful roleplaying game.

Some realms try to use the path of 'peace' as an in-game roleplaying characteristic and motivator for realm actions/direction, others try the so-called 'honor' and 'compassion' in which characters never resort to any form of violence and openly champion their characters in-game to oppose all war in politics, diplomacy, and even day-to-day roleplaying. 

Roleplaying is quite limited only by your own imagination, but even Battlemaster has eventually developed a few firm, over-arching 'Rules of the BM Universe'... and I think strong non-competitive aspects can hardly be something to take seriously as either a long-term, serious realm-related direction, or as a heavily active characteristic and trait of player characters.  Everyone is fairly free to roleplay their characters as they see fit, as per the naturally set out game rules...

... but serious, non-competitive roleplaying in Battlemaster really seems to be... contrary.

Like I said, this isn't some little corner of the internet where your roleplaying about happy fairies and saving dwarves while conquering evil hordes of demons, whilst at the same time drawing rainbows and having tea and cookies... Battlemaster strikes me as a little more competitive and rich in player vs player politics.