Author Topic: Delete Top Families Page  (Read 5751 times)

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Delete Top Families Page
« Topic Start: October 04, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »
Title: Delete Top Families Page

Summary: The wealth section of the Top Families page ought to be deleted.

Details: All of the top families have the same amount of wealth, so the wealth section is useless. In addition to being useless, the wealth section is generally held in contempt by the fanbase and the devs. So rather than fixing it, it should just be deleted outright. As it is it just looks silly.

Benefits: This would fix the Top Families page.

Possible exploits: None.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Delete Top Families Page
« Reply #1: October 04, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »
Frankly, I consider this a dishonest feature request. You didn't get what you wanted in your other request, so now you're trying to stomp everyone's sand castles.

egamma

« Reply #2: October 04, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »
I actually like this feature request. Why not go ahead and do it?

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 04, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »
I can see players who have devoted considerable effort to getting on the list might be a tad bit pissed off if the fruits of their effort were suddenly thrown out. If the problem is that too many families capping out, get rid of the cap altogether.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 04, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »
There is no problem. The page is what it is. If you don't find it useful, then don't use it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: October 04, 2013, 11:56:45 PM »
I actually like this feature request. Why not go ahead and do it?

Because it does nobody any good and it does (emotionally) harm some players. It has a negative net benefit.

egamma

« Reply #6: October 05, 2013, 02:07:34 AM »
Because it does nobody any good and it does (emotionally) harm some players. It has a negative net benefit.

You only see a negative net benefit because you're not factoring in the fact that if those players didn't have some list to get on, they would focus on more productive achievements, such as the fame points provide, that provide a more useful benefit to the game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 05, 2013, 04:08:38 AM »
That ... doesn't make any sense.

Eirikr

« Reply #8: October 05, 2013, 06:38:17 AM »
You only see a negative net benefit because you're not factoring in the fact that if those players didn't have some list to get on, they would focus on more productive achievements, such as the fame points provide, that provide a more useful benefit to the game.

Not to hop on the negativity bandwagon, but fame is technically not "productive", either. It's a measurement of your "success" at the game, but the points are accrued through normal gameplay and actions that would likely be taken even without the fame system. (A possible exception is execution, but details.) They're both just different metrics to rank players for those who are interested.

Also, what's the say they aren't already and simply maintain that wealth to see if it nets another fame point? Or even more simply, what if they just want to be top in everything they can find, both fame and wealth included?

egamma

« Reply #9: October 05, 2013, 02:54:34 PM »
That ... doesn't make any sense.

I'm saying that people who try to obtain council positions, found guilds and religions, build palaces, etc, all contribute something to the game that other players can enjoy, while those who send 10k gold to their family don't provide any benefit to the other players.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 05, 2013, 03:49:28 PM »
Well, it's nice to know that I provide no benefit to the other players in the game.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 05, 2013, 04:12:33 PM »
Well, it's nice to know that I provide no benefit to the other players in the game.

It's not by sending gold to your family that you provide a direct benefit, I think that's clear, while by, for example, founding a successful religion, you can bring something truly new to the game.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Eirikr

« Reply #12: October 05, 2013, 07:51:20 PM »
Lightbulb!

How about creating a spending option that directly benefits other (non-family specific) players in some way?

For a rough example, maybe give a rich family the capability to build a recruitment center (or some other infrastructure) in a realm/region with their family wealth that others can use? Kinda like how rich families will fund stuff (albeit usually for tax breaks) in the modern world?

Give it similar coding to the current recruitment center page, but change the numbers (both make it more expensive and possibly better chances to get better units) around so a rich family actually has a reason to use it instead of just using the existing page.

Or maybe allow rich families to put on a Tournament run by the family rather than a realm; to make it easier to use, it could even bypass tournament grounds (at significant cost)... After all, I'm sure a rich enough family could make a temporary tourney ground pretty easily with enough gold. In addition, a tournament in your honor is a perfect way to flaunt your gold and it gets redistributed to other players.

(I can make these into formal FRs if there's interest in either option.)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 05, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »
It's not by sending gold to your family that you provide a direct benefit, I think that's clear, while by, for example, founding a successful religion, you can bring something truly new to the game.
His point is they aren't mutually exclusive. Just because he sends a bunch of gold to his family doesn't mean he isn't helping the game in other ways. There isn't much of a reason you couldn't go for lots of fame and wealth at the same time considering getting fame doesn't generally require much gold, and doing the things that get you fame make you more likely to get more lucrative positions.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: October 06, 2013, 04:13:27 AM »
How about creating a spending option that directly benefits other (non-family specific) players in some way?

It's not like we didn't have that idea last year. And the year before. And the year before that.

But good and well-balanced options like this aren't trivial to add.