Author Topic: Religion  (Read 26625 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Religion
« Reply #30: October 15, 2013, 03:06:17 AM »
De-Legro, I know I've run across text somewhere in the game that mentions pagan nobles as subscribing to the same local beliefs as commoners. No one should want to belief in ideas from dirty commoners. Thats why noble faiths have have a proper noble structure guiding the commoner's beliefs.

That commoner beliefs text is probably one reason for my previous statements.

FWIW, one of my characters is currently a game-mechanic pagan because all the other faiths don't align with his beliefs and he's not willing to become a priest. He is aware of another religion being founded soon he plans to join. But the fact he's not in a noble faith does trouble his soul too. Like I said, there are occasional exceptions.

Um...no. No, if that's even written anywhere, you've misinterpreted it.

"Pagan" in the BattleMaster sense means exactly one thing, and nothing else: that you do not subscribe to any of the game-recognized religions on the continent you are on.

There is no serious stigma to it, and should not be, because, for instance, if a devout but non-priestly Bloodstar worshiper emigrates to Beluaterra, he will be a pagan. So what's he supposed to do? Convert to some BT religion that he doesn't actually believe in? Found a branch of SA on BT and spend the rest of his life as, effectively, a religious administrator and salesman?

No, in the common case, he should remain a pagan until and unless either he returns to Dwilight or someone else founds a branch of SA on BT that he can join. Because being a pagan has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with being peasant-like.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan