Author Topic: hotmail  (Read 9984 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: hotmail
« Topic Start: October 20, 2013, 11:21:29 PM »
Please elaborate why hotmail users support spam?

I think the thought process goes something like this:

• Tom has seen a great deal of spam come from Hotmail addresses over the years.
  • In Tom's mind, spam is one of the biggest, most important problems in the world today.
  • Because Hotmail is still one of the hosts of choice for free email addresses for spammers, this necessarily means that Microsoft makes no real effort to stop them (because of #2), and thus this means that they must approve of this activity.
  • Furthermore, anyone else who uses Hotmail must also approve of this activity, because if they were right-thinking people, they would obviously boycott such a purveyor of evil.

I think the important point there to keep in mind is #2. As far as Tom is concerned, spamming should be a capital offense. When one is that focused on a particular type of offense, it becomes easy to believe that not only should everyone else share your view, but that everyone who is not actively working against that offense is a supporter of it who needs to be punished.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan