Author Topic: Advanced Mentoring Concerns  (Read 20317 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Mentoring Concerns
« Topic Start: May 10, 2011, 12:31:31 PM »
Ask ask ask! Someone thinks that clicking a nice button without asking what it does is smart? Then face the consequences! Seriously, I don't understand why one would defend people attempting to click random buttons without even trying to get to know what they do.

No one does, and if you think that's what we're talking about, please reread because you're missing the point entirely.

Did you know that secessions cause riots and fighting because of the culture clash between the new realm and the old?  Do you know that you can hold court and draft recruits in the same turn, but only if you do it in the correct order?  Do you know that colonies start their diplomacy neutral to everyone so you have to make sure your troops are all on defensive or make sure both Rulers sign a peace treaty before the next turn after it succeeds?  Do you know that if you make a Stronghold your capital it gets a bank?  Do you know to what percentage of damage you can repair your equipment in a Stronghold?  How about a Townsland?

These are all things that are so game-mechanic-y as to be pretty much completely OOC or are things our characters would know but the game doesn't tell you the information beforehand.  I don't want to win a war because Matthew has played the game since '06 and obsessively checked the wiki and IRC and such and knows all these little bits and quirks and the Ruler of an opposing realm doesn't.  I want to win because Jenred or Malcolm or Koli or whomever is a conniving bastard IC.  You say "Ask ask ask", I say "How the hell would you know to ask in the first place, who would you ask, and how would you trust that they knew what they were talking about?"

The whole point of these threads is to provide information such that someone can go "Hm, what crazy little things are there about being a General, or what about founding a new realm?" and find out without having to have OOC contacts with lots of game experience.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"