Author Topic: Naming schemes for armies  (Read 7086 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Naming schemes for armies
« Topic Start: January 05, 2014, 07:37:34 PM »
Name: Naming schemes for armies

Summary: Currently it's possible to choose from different naming schemes for region lords as well as make custom names for government positions. What if the same were true for armies?

Details: Rulers and Generals can pick from a variety of naming schemes which will show different names for the Marshal and Vice Marshal

For example there could be a Roman theme, which will make the marshal Legatus and the vice marshal Centurian.

Themes could also be based on the army's purpose. A force reserved for courtiers could be given a police theme. The marshal would be called Chief Inspector and the vice marshal Constable.

Benefits: Allows players to flesh out themes they have in mind for armies. Fuels roleplay potential and conflict by making the function and status of players more clear. For example the Chief Inspector of the royal police might try to order an idle knight of the combat army to help him with police work. The knight balks at this and tells the Inspector he's man of war who doesn't take orders from the police. Argument ensues, duels, blood feuds!

Possible Exploits: Purely thematic so no real way to exploit it. However like the realm council positions it should be open to player protest for inappropriate or silly names.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Naming schemes for armies
« Reply #1: January 05, 2014, 08:40:47 PM »
It can be confusing enough for new players when they have a Chancellor, a Minister of the Interior, a High Poobah, and a Lord Marshal. Trying to figure out what a Legatus and Centurion, a First Dan and Second Dan, or a Hordeleader and Warchief are just make it that much more confusing and annoying for them.

There's a reason we don't allow total customization of all realm titles.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 05, 2014, 10:21:11 PM »
That's why I suggested just a handful of options that are determined beforehand. We could tailor them to be the most easily understandable options. It's not full customization, just a few extra options. Sure Centurian might be a little too esoteric but I don't think people will have a hard time understanding that a "colonel" or "brigadier general" outranks them in the military.

We already do it this way for lordship titles and no one seems to get confused by that.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 05, 2014, 10:38:54 PM »
Easy fix for any confusion for any and all positions, display the "default" position name in brackets after the custom one.

eg

Lord of Swords (Marshall)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 05, 2014, 10:57:05 PM »
Or add that to the army assignment message like

"Your lord has assigned you to the Royal Police force, this army is commanded by Chief Inspector Lestrad, his second in command is Constable Martin,"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 05, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
Or add that to the army assignment message like

"Your lord has assigned you to the Royal Police force, this army is commanded by Chief Inspector Lestrad, his second in command is Constable Martin,"

You also want it to be easily visible outside the realm, so when you communicate with a foreign character you don't need to go looking in realm pages or the wiki to work out what his titles mean.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 05, 2014, 11:13:07 PM »
You also want it to be easily visible outside the realm, so when you communicate with a foreign character you don't need to go looking in realm pages or the wiki to work out what his titles mean.

That would be necessary if there were a lot of options, but if we went with a small handful, maybe three to five, people will learn them pretty quick. I think the alternate lordship titles are a good model for this.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 06, 2014, 01:02:04 AM »
make it that much more confusing and annoying for them.

I like confusion! Uniformity annoys me.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 06, 2014, 03:05:39 AM »
It certainly might encourage new players to speak up and ask more questions and keep realms from seeming like cookie cutter copies with slightly different flavors.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 08, 2014, 04:45:54 AM »
Easy fix for any confusion for any and all positions, display the "default" position name in brackets after the custom one.

eg

Lord of Swords (Marshall)
Yes, or perhaps there could a "mouse over" box that shows the generic title with the stylised one.

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 08, 2014, 07:31:53 AM »
I would really like the (brackets), sometimes you still get cofsed on what the guy's actual title is. This is especially true for bankers where some realms dont have a traditional banker and instead have a very confusing title.
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 08, 2014, 08:12:09 AM »
I would really like the (brackets), sometimes you still get cofsed on what the guy's actual title is. This is especially true for bankers where some realms dont have a traditional banker and instead have a very confusing title.
I still remember some Ruler typo and put Banker as Banler. Everyone have a good laugh out of it ;D

The idea above is good, though it will be nice if you have no need to moveover it as some people might miss out~~
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 08, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »
It certainly might encourage new players to speak up and ask more questions and keep realms from seeming like cookie cutter copies with slightly different flavors.

I tend to agree. Has a newbie ever complained that titles were too complex and hard to understand, making the game less fun? I don't think so. A lot of things in the game can be too complex and, in the process, make things less fun. But titles? I tend to think it's the contrary.

Also, an option if one wants to have greater customization with lesser confusion, distinctive markers could be had for each title. In the military, for example, each rank has its own symbol. IG, it could be a color-code and/or icon.

Yes, or perhaps there could a "mouse over" box that shows the generic title with the stylised one.

Indeed. Some titles are long enough as it is, add in brackets too...? Might be overkill.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 08, 2014, 05:54:03 PM »
Hover text is bad. It can't be seen on mobile/touch-screen devices. Use of these devices is growing, and will continue to grow in the future.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 08, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »
Hover text is bad. It can't be seen on mobile/touch-screen devices. Use of these devices is growing, and will continue to grow in the future.

Hover text of important info is bad. Is this info so important?

If the titles are confusing, it's the realm's own fault, and they will be the only ones to suffer from the confusion caused.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron