Author Topic: Intercontinental commerce, is this allowed?  (Read 2049 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Intercontinental commerce, is this allowed?
« Topic Start: January 06, 2014, 01:33:05 AM »
So for the most part there are no real relations between the continents. I thought of a way there could be without the need to create any new rules or features. The only question is "is it allowed?".

So here's how it could go:

Essentially the only commodity you can move across continents is gold in the possession of a noble. There are a couple ways this could constitute commerce. None are easy for players to enforce but they might just be worth trying at some point to some one.

1. Nobles might be intentionally dispatched to serve a certain amount of time on another continent, then return with their earnings. Various arrangements could be made to make this worth the noble's while.

2. Nobles could be sent with a gold supply for a loan which the realm will expect paid back with interest.

Not practical at all, but stranger things have been attempted. Therefore my question, is it allowed?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental commerce, is this allowed?
« Reply #1: January 06, 2014, 02:14:54 AM »
It's not against any rule I know of, and I can't see any good reason to forbid it off the top of my head.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 06, 2014, 03:32:26 AM »
Doesn't the cost of immigration depend on the gold held by the character?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 06, 2014, 04:48:10 AM »
It does. Leaving one island with 1,000 gold will only leave you with a few hundred coins on your arrival in the new island.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 06, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
Or less. I have done very little island hopping with my characters, but I was greatly surprised with how much gold was lost on emigration. You may come back with a richer family, but you assuredly won't be coming back with much more gold in your pocket.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 07, 2014, 01:28:57 AM »
Given how it couldn't possibly work, I can't see why it would be made illegal.

As others have said:

Most gold is lost on emigration
Guild affiliations are nulled on emigration
Local taxes allow lords to artificially inflate their credit significantly
It would need to be a pyramid scheme in order for gold to accumulate, but the upkeep and costs of the infrastructure is certain to be greater than the desired accumulation of funds
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 11, 2014, 07:02:25 AM »
Having done a lot of emigrating, I can say it would be cost-prohibitive. Which is unfortunate, because this is a really great idea.

I wish there was at least some form of intercontinental exchange in BM. And you'd think there would be, considering that you have some Noble families spread over multiple continents.