Author Topic: T Minus 28 Days  (Read 107762 times)

Regulus Blackmore

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Re: T Minus 28 Days
« Reply #180: March 01, 2014, 08:40:29 PM »
I will tell you the thing is bothering me since the TMinus 28 days, and it isn´t the ice, the sinking of any Island, the huge Undead/Monsters hordes...

The worst thing are the players. I have just paused a character due to the lot of grey messages received every day. It is sad to see how some players are using the realm´s channel as a chat.

I do not like to see my Realm, Region or Estate dissapearing due to OOc Reasons, but to send OOc messages every hour is not a solution, IMO, it is only a way to kill the game.

I would pay for a "ignore OOC messages" option.
Kill to live and live to die,
Human nature you let the strong survive.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #181: March 01, 2014, 08:42:07 PM »
I don't understand why we couldn't simply get rid of one continent in stead of screwing over every one of them.

This discussion has been had, very intensely, for quite a long time. Please look up all the arguments that were exchanged.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #182: March 01, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »

The filter at the top can give you a lists of received messages without the OOC messages. That'll be about $3.50, thank you.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #183: March 01, 2014, 08:48:09 PM »
Are you really expecting Tom to market a free game? Well if this game made a considerable profit for Tom, I am sure he would have done so long ago but I think this game is probably nothing more than another red number line for Tom's balance.

I'm pretty sure no profit is made from BM if any it would be surprising...

Lapallanch the statement I highlighted insinuates something along the lines of a death spiral... the fewer nobles we have the more the ice creeps in and the fewer regions we can enjoy traversing through. Similar to the clouds on BT we hope not!

Side note: If realm channels are being filled please ask them to refrain from commenting in game and to bring it to the forum. No reason to flood in-game channels.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Regulus Blackmore

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #184: March 01, 2014, 08:53:20 PM »
The filter at the top can give you a lists of received messages without the OOC messages. That'll be about $3.50, thank you.

Now I understand, thanks for clearing that up.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185: March 01, 2014, 09:11:52 PM »

From your family page, click the Options link. Look for the option: "Default news filter: " Set it to "No OOC Messages". Then when you check your messages, you will have to explicitly click the "All messages" or OOC options to actually see them. I've had my filter set this way forever.

Note that OOC messages will still trip the new messages waiting notifications, though.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JoziGould

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186: March 01, 2014, 09:23:41 PM »
I thank Tom and the dev team for all of their hard work in making this game one of the most enjoyable games ever. 

I just don't think forcing players out of their realms across multiple islands is such a good idea.  As previously stated, this idea had nothing to do with the political agenda of each island.  Which is imho a mistake.  There will always be players who come and go.  It is the players who stick with it that notice the certain stagnate play of each island, which again imho is directly associated with each of the islands politics and to a lesser degree noble count.  Yes this is easily fixed by shrinking region count and therefor making noble counts swell in the remaining regions however how could we ever expect to know how this will end up if realm politics stay the same.  Barca and most western realms in dwilight are going to suffer, making us all travel east.  If we fail to make a dent, how will the game change except for removing a large player base from their desired realms.  The same goes for Darka, which has been the only realm capable of fighting the Cagilian/Tara federation.  If they fail to expand and make a change to Atamara, do the politics not stay the same?  It seems like a gamble to me.

I received a message in game asking me to post my feelings on the forum, though I am nervous about it because I don't know what repercussions it might have to to people mistaking my messages as some kind of argument put forward.  This is just my opinion and I in no way wish to make things harder for Tom and the dev team.

I will however continue to play, even if my opinion is invalid or incorrect.  The game mechanic is still to fresh to make a concrete judgement and in my mind there is no reason for me not to continue playing.  Though my excitement has honestly slightly diminished.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #187: March 01, 2014, 09:29:35 PM »
I thank Tom and the dev team for all of their hard work in making this game one of the most enjoyable games ever. 

I just don't think forcing players out of their realms across multiple islands is such a good idea.  As previously stated, this idea had nothing to do with the political agenda of each island.  Which is imho a mistake.  There will always be players who come and go.  It is the players who stick with it that notice the certain stagnate play of each island, which again imho is directly associated with each of the islands politics and to a lesser degree noble count.  Yes this is easily fixed by shrinking region count and therefor making noble counts swell in the remaining regions however how could we ever expect to know how this will end up if realm politics stay the same.  Barca and most western realms in dwilight are going to suffer, making us all travel east.  If we fail to make a dent, how will the game change except for removing a large player base from their desired realms.  The same goes for Darka, which has been the only realm capable of fighting the Cagilian/Tara federation.  If they fail to expand and make a change to Atamara, do the politics not stay the same?  It seems like a gamble to me.

I received a message in game asking me to post my feelings on the forum, though I am nervous about it because I don't know what repercussions it might have to to people mistaking my messages as some kind of argument put forward.  This is just my opinion and I in no way wish to make things harder for Tom and the dev team.

I will however continue to play, even if my opinion is invalid or incorrect.  The game mechanic is still to fresh to make a concrete judgement and in my mind there is no reason for me not to continue playing.  Though my excitement has honestly slightly diminished.

+1

I am not excited about this event but, it's not gonna stop me from playing.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Regulus Blackmore

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #188: March 01, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »
From your family page, click the Options link. Look for the option: "Default news filter: " Set it to "No OOC Messages". Then when you check your messages, you will have to explicitly click the "All messages" or OOC options to actually see them. I've had my filter set this way forever.

Note that OOC messages will still trip the new messages waiting notifications, though.

Thanks for the info  :), years playing and still unknown features and options. I love this game  :D

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #189: March 01, 2014, 10:34:42 PM »
Let me ask the Dev Team... What are you doing to get more players to join BattleMaster? Is the game even being marketed anymore? Tell us what your going to to get us more players! That's something we want answered if this such game event is going to go through.

Note how we're the Dev Team. Not the Marketing Team.

The only thing I really know about how to market something online is to buy Google ads. And BattleMaster is really a hard game to market, because it appeals to a very small niche.

If you have any good (non-obvious) ideas about how to market the game, I'd be more than happy to hear them (preferably in a different thread). It's just not something I know much about, and BattleMaster doesn't have a budget, so the obvious answer isn't really a viable one.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #190: March 01, 2014, 10:59:19 PM »
What about the other islands? The monstrer/undead spawining will return to normal level or we will continue to get hordes like now?
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #191: March 01, 2014, 11:32:58 PM »
Honestly, I think that reverting the western continent of Dwilight to the monsters is going to have a much more negative effect than you think it will. You realize that most of the newer players that are starting to enjoy the game are in places like Asylon, Barca, and Nivemus, while the east is completely dominated by the old elite?  Barca is pretty much the one thing keeping me in this game, and I've seen more roleplay going on in that realm than any other that I've been in for the past three years. Besides that, the way Dwilight was split into two continents is what made it special. In this way, you could be assured that one realm couldn't possibly control the politics of the whole island. Compare that to Atamara, East Island, or Far East Island. Atamara has the Caligan Empire, East Island has Perdan, Far East Island has Arcaea. The politics of those islands revolve entirely on those realms, which leads to rather boring, stagnant, linear diplomacy and wars.

Compare that to Dwilight. We have the war between Asylon, Nivemus, and the SA bloc that just finished, and at the same time, we had a war going on with Barca, D'Hara, and Fissoa facing off against Luria Nova. These wars were completely independent of each other, and both involved relatively equal sides. Tell me the last time you saw that? On Atamara, the CE, if it so chose, could intervene in any conflict with relative ease. The same with Perdan or Arcaea. If we were to take away one of Dwilight's continents, what do you think would happen? It would just become another Atamara.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #192: March 01, 2014, 11:49:15 PM »
This reminds me so much of when I pulled my stunt with SA. You couldn't tell people that efforts were being made so that everything doesn't fall apart. That might have been a different beast, but the same rule applies. People tend to get excitable when something out of their control starts.

I feel confident that the Devs aren't just going to let a realm get shafted by the ice. They may have picked where it happened on chance, but I think they will be merciful once the effects manifest. Everyone chill your panties.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #193: March 02, 2014, 12:46:31 AM »
As previously stated, this idea had nothing to do with the political agenda of each island.  Which is imho a mistake.

The problem with taking politics into consideration is that if we did that - even just a little - there would be an immediate flamewar on the forum and in-game to accuse the dev team of playing favorites. Leaving politics out entirely is the only way to dodge that bullet at least a bit.

JoziGould

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #194: March 02, 2014, 01:24:38 AM »
I have thought more about it, and you are definitely right Tom.  I'm sure when this idea was presented, you guys were gearing yourself up for disappointed people.  Which is inevitable, I realize now.

Play on, deal with the misfortune and make something out of it.  I retract my statement from earlier and am just gonna go with it.  Once again thank you for your time Tom/dev team.