Author Topic: T Minus 28 Days  (Read 106504 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: T Minus 28 Days
« Reply #300: March 03, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
I assume a colony takeover will be made available soon?

You won't need one. You'll be able to just keep expanding your realm.

...Did I forget to mention that part? Damn.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #301: March 03, 2014, 09:04:06 PM »
If that's all that is being cut out, we'll be back to pre-ice age player densities on those continents in no time.

And if that's the case, then as I've said repeatedly, the glaciers will just keep moving.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #302: March 03, 2014, 09:05:20 PM »
BT lost a lot more than what is planned for AT during the invasion, and if it had any effect at all on noble density, it was quickly masked by player decay.

BT didn't "lose" very many regions, considering we also won some back from the blight. I would also posit that any player decay there could also be attributed to the post-war lull.

Look at your projection map for AT. How many cities and strongholds is that, just completely gone? Five? That's, to quote Joe Biden, a big !@#$in' deal.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #303: March 03, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »
I assume a colony takeover will be made available soon?

I'm pretty sure you can?  Unless it got removed, though I didn't think you needed it anymore as long as you had coast access and the target region is on the coast.
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #304: March 03, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »
And if that's the case, then as I've said repeatedly, the glaciers will just keep moving.

Is a ton of painful moves better than a single painful move? I don't know about you, but when I get my teeth pulled out, I'd rather they all get pulled at the same time.

BT didn't "lose" very many regions, considering we also won some back from the blight. I would also posit that any player decay there could also be attributed to the post-war lull.

Look at your projection map for AT. How many cities and strongholds is that, just completely gone? Five? That's, to quote Joe Biden, a big !@#$in' deal.

True, some regions got unblighted.

As for AT, that's 2 forts and 3 tiny cities, and a bunch of badlands. They look like the least meaningful regions on the continent.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #305: March 03, 2014, 09:16:37 PM »
Some people have to stop complaining.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #306: March 03, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Is a ton of painful moves better than a single painful move? I don't know about you, but when I get my teeth pulled out, I'd rather they all get pulled at the same time.

Are you expecting the glacier to just sit where it is for a month, then leap forward to cover all that territory? When I say "keep moving," I mean "keep moving." As in, rather than come to a certain place and stop, it will keep slowly moving forward.
Timothy Collett

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #307: March 03, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »
I am REALLY quite angry about the poll thing, if i knew i would have gotten rid of Sirion, Avamar & Erick with Ice

Which is exactly why we didn't tell you. We did not want to have people turn this into a weapon and make it all a huge pissing contest.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #308: March 03, 2014, 09:28:42 PM »
I'm not on AT, EC, and FEI, and I'm not sure you are talking about me, but I think that such a drastic measure should, if taken, go all the way. Can't take half-measures with things like these.

The regions affected look so small, that it almost looks as if only one realm per continent is really being affected. If I were in one of them, I know I'd feel cheated. For what gain? I don't know how many regions are on EC, but that's a removal of about 14 regions on a continent that has 279 nobles. Will it really significantly impact player density?

Are you expecting the glacier to just sit where it is for a month, then leap forward to cover all that territory? When I say "keep moving," I mean "keep moving." As in, rather than come to a certain place and stop, it will keep slowly moving forward.

Can't talk for everyone, but were it me, I'd rather it all be over with quickly than agonize over it ad eternum. As you very well know, in BM, when crisises prop up, the general reaction is peacelock. Forcing a long crisis on people will force them to adapt, bit by bit, to their new condition as the situation evolves. The approaching ice will absorb all of their attention, diverting it away from realm-to-realm interactions.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #309: March 03, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »
Can't talk for everyone, but were it me, I'd rather it all be over with quickly than agonize over it ad eternum.

The purpose of making it slow is not agony but giving people time to move out, start a war, conquer new land and shift their realm there. If we'd just dump a ton of ice on their heads, they'd just be dead, end of story. This way there is at least the potential for great stories of peoples displaced by the cold fighting for new Lebensraum somewhere else.

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #310: March 03, 2014, 09:37:03 PM »
A New Resolve   (58 minutes ago)
Tonight, having feasted well, the peasants seem to show a new resolve and determination, with one clear goal: Find, or make, a new homeland away from these monsters. More begin to show up at the recruitment centers, and those already recruited and the newly signing declare quite firmly that they don't care how far they have to go or if they don't get paid (much) until they have a new homeland: they're in this to make a new start.

As rumours of these events begin to come back to those in the eastern lands, the peasants and minor nobles alike begin to speak in worried tones of what is to come. Do all these strange events presage a terrifying migration of armies out of the west, bent on carving new homes out of their own lands in the east?

May i ask, does this mean western armies will be immune to morale loss so we can try and invade east.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #311: March 03, 2014, 09:38:33 PM »
The purpose of making it slow is not agony but giving people time to move out, start a war, conquer new land and shift their realm there. If we'd just dump a ton of ice on their heads, they'd just be dead, end of story. This way there is at least the potential for great stories of peoples displaced by the cold fighting for new Lebensraum somewhere else.

Are they really going to do that?

Last time things were tried to incite people to go to war, they did not pan out. Under duress, people do not go to war, not in this game.

Giving people time to prepare and move out, sure thing, we don't need to go around and remove the ground under people's feet. But I have serious doubts that taking slice by slice will really bring the behavior you seem to seek.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #312: March 03, 2014, 09:43:02 PM »
Are they really going to do that?

If they don't, then they will simply die. We can lead the horse to water, but we can't prevent him from dying of dehydration if he's really determined to do so.

Last time things were tried to incite people to go to war, they did not pan out. Under duress, people do not go to war, not in this game.

This is very, very different than bolting people and screaming at them to go to war. Actively pushing people out of their regions makes for a much stronger incentive than simply telling them, "You have to go to war now!"

Giving people time to prepare and move out, sure thing, we don't need to go around and remove the ground under people's feet. But I have serious doubts that taking slice by slice will really bring the behavior you seem to seek.

Well, we can always make the glacier move faster....
Timothy Collett

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #313: March 03, 2014, 09:57:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can?  Unless it got removed, though I didn't think you needed it anymore as long as you had coast access and the target region is on the coast.

CTOs were removed when the new takeover system was implemented. It's true that the coast access system made it a lot less needed.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #314: March 03, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »
Remember "we'll turn the food production down to force them to go to war to loot for food, otherwise, they will die"?

I'm not really aware of all the details of your intents, though, so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm way off. But there is still a good chance that, indeed, they WILL die, and then they'll come whine about it.

I'd like to say that even a sudden targetting of half the continent wouldn't need instantly killing the realms without giving the players a chance to move elsewhere. The changes could be gradual in effect, instead of in geography. You could take up half of the continent, and then slowly apply things like dwindling production and shortage of materials (no building). If the new recruits won't work on gold, then what's gold good for anyways? Have the regions remain in existance, but with no more value to them. Perhaps give all nobles there the option to recruit troops directly from the regions themselves, much as the hero mechanic, and not just at the capital with the morale cost. The progress of the cold would not be in territory covered, but, for example, in the loss of population to the cold, until the regions are all uninhabited. That way, the players still have time to prepare, there's no nasty surprises about where the line will eventually be drawn or not, and there's no (less) feeling cheated on the part of the first affected.

Maybe you could just poll them, to. "Would you rather the changes be quick, or gradual?" Having a say in their loss might make them feel less powerless, and thus less resentful.