Author Topic: T Minus 28 Days  (Read 107493 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: T Minus 28 Days
« Reply #315: March 03, 2014, 10:16:09 PM »
Remember "we'll turn the food production down to force them to go to war to loot for food, otherwise, they will die"?

Wasn't my call. Obviously that was never going to work, because without food, you can't sustain anything for more than a couple of days.

I'm not really aware of all the details of your intents, though, so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm way off. But there is still a good chance that, indeed, they WILL die, and then they'll come whine about it.

I'm absolutely sure this is what some of them will do. And when they do, I will relate to them the story of the man in the flood who ignored the boats and helicopter sent to save him.

I'd like to say that even a sudden targetting of half the continent wouldn't need instantly killing the realms without giving the players a chance to move elsewhere. The changes could be gradual in effect, instead of in geography. You could take up half of the continent, and then slowly apply things like dwindling production and shortage of materials (no building).

That's actually much harder to calibrate the right speed for, because if you go over for just a little while, bam! everyone's dead already. If we push the glacier a little too fast for a while, well, you'll have lost some more regions, but the ones you have will still be in as good shape as they were before.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #316: March 03, 2014, 10:22:10 PM »
The idea I was trying to relate would imply that after X time, staying in their realms wouldn't give them anything, but they'd still have their units, Y (much longer) time to go about and use these units in a military manner (should they chose), effectively granting a total of X+Y time. This Y time is a buffer zone where it is painfully clear that there is nothing left for them to stay for, and as such they can accept that fact and then move on to do something about their fates.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #317: March 03, 2014, 10:58:55 PM »
Can they also given a new way to recruit as well? Some realms are losing their capitals as well along with most of their cities at the same time. Maybe allowing them to recruit anywhere within their territory might help them greatly.

Also, maybe having built in siege engines might be good as well since once they lose their cities, it will be impossible for these people to get siege engines to assault any city.

It would also be nice to have cheaper embark fee or being able to embark anywhere.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:31:47 PM by Lapallanch »

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #318: March 04, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »
In the FEI map (and likely the others, too) there are regions that only get partly covered. Apelen and Batesaor, for instance, only have their southern tips covered. Will those regions still be completely inaccessible?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #319: March 04, 2014, 12:27:34 AM »
In the FEI map (and likely the others, too) there are regions that only get partly covered. Apelen and Batesaor, for instance, only have their southern tips covered. Will those regions still be completely inaccessible?

First off, please do note that it's a rough estimate. Depending on the density situation, they may end up frozen, or they may not.

That said, as you will begin to see over the next couple of days, there are a few stages of freezing, and while most of the "frozen" regions will be completely inaccessible, the outermost layer will be regions you can travel through, but not own, with no peasants living there.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #320: March 04, 2014, 12:31:13 AM »
That said, as you will begin to see over the next couple of days, there are a few stages of freezing, and while most of the "frozen" regions will be completely inaccessible, the outermost layer will be regions you can travel through, but not own, with no peasants living there.

Does that mean the region won't be starving? Since there is no mouth to feed? No provision wasted? ;)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #321: March 04, 2014, 12:36:03 AM »
Does that mean the region won't be starving? Since there is no mouth to feed? No provision wasted? ;)

The reason you use up provisions in starving regions—and on the sea—is because there is no food to be foraged in the area.

If there's nothing living in the region, where do you think you'll be foraging food...?
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #322: March 04, 2014, 12:52:52 AM »
The reason you use up provisions in starving regions—and on the sea—is because there is no food to be foraged in the area.

If there's nothing living in the region, where do you think you'll be foraging food...?

Could be food without people, ex: overabundant game, berries, and the sorts. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #323: March 04, 2014, 12:53:34 AM »
Could be food without people, ex: overabundant game, berries, and the sorts. ;)

Nope. It's all dead.

You might be able to live there for a little while if you like pine needles.
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #324: March 04, 2014, 12:56:22 AM »
Nope. It's all dead.

Eat polar bears!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #325: March 04, 2014, 12:56:54 AM »
Eat polar bears!

Maybe in another several decades, when they actually move in...
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #326: March 04, 2014, 12:59:05 AM »
Maybe in another several decades, when they actually move in...

Seals! ;)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #327: March 04, 2014, 01:01:25 AM »
Nope. It's all dead.

I hear monsters and trolls are rather tasty when cooked.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Eirikr

« Reply #328: March 04, 2014, 01:09:04 AM »
I hear monsters and trolls are rather tasty when cooked.

Any of my characters will testify to that!

On a more serious note, it's been said that if you don't move, you will die... How serious are we about this? If I leave a character there, does he get killed or just automatically pushed to the next region? I'm thinking this would be a cool way to finally end one of my characters and might roleplay it if the event isn't actually lethal to characters, but I want to have some idea before I really make the decision.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #329: March 04, 2014, 01:31:24 AM »
Careful with those bear and seal livers. ;)