Author Topic: Noble density per realm - Dwilight  (Read 83144 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Noble density per realm - Dwilight
« Reply #180: November 24, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
An extra column in every single table??

No. If this were to happen, it could not maintain the true separation of continents in any fundamental way.

I'm not *that* familiar with your databases, so I have no idea how many tables you do have.

I imagine that you would only need a single table to hold all region data. Other tables would be... what? Characters? Realms? I presume that whenever continent matters to characters, realms, or anything else, it could just look up the region table, no?

For example, say we want players to only hold titles in one realm per continent. When that player tries to gain a new government title, the game would check the character table to see what realm all of his characters are attached to. Then, it would check the realm table to see what capitals these realms have. Then, it would look up the regions table to see what continent that capital region belongs to, thus, identifying what continent each character belongs to. It would then apply the rules and determine if the desired action (such as running in an election) is possible or not.

Would this work?

Again, I've never actually seen BM's code or databases. I do understand, however, that redundant data is bad.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron