Author Topic: Ice is Nice  (Read 13556 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Ice is Nice
« Reply #30: April 08, 2014, 01:28:56 PM »
I think that everyone understands and agrees actions have to be taken to increase the noble density in the game. Where it goes wrong i think is that the devs try not to look at the current state of a continent before taking an action and only look at the potential end result. By this approach they underestimate the damage done during the change process.
The decision had to be made without taking the political situation of the continent into account. Attempting to take politics into account opens the entire process up into the realm of favoritism and partiality. Do you really want the devs attempting to interpret the political state of the continent, and then deciding which realms to wipe out? I can guarantee to you that if we did, the political state of all of the islands would be quite different, and much more massively disrupted, then actually happened. And I can also guarantee that almost no one would like the outcome. And that almost everyone would be pissed off at the dev team, and no one would agree on what was done.

Politics-based GM intervention has been tried before, in the early stages of the game. The fallout from the player-base was massive, and extremely negative. It simply can't be done.

If your particular realm was harmed in this evolution, I'm sorry. You're not the only one who's realm got destroyed. (And apparently Asylon managed to rally and take Unterstrom? Go Asylon!) But imagine how much worse it would be for you if the devs came forward and said "We destroyed your realm on purpose, because we feel the game is better off without it."
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.