Author Topic: Archers Without Range  (Read 3478 times)

Eirikr

Archers Without Range
« Topic Start: May 02, 2014, 12:52:53 AM »
Long story short, it seems Sven (Talerium) has no range at all on his archers.
http://i.imgur.com/fcb6Kt9.png?1

Out-of-Character from Sven Johnsson   (31 minutes ago)
Message sent to everyone in your realm (42 recipients)
Here is the screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/fcb6Kt9.png?1
And im still waiting admin aproval for the forums.

I wanted to post this here to expedite his issue until he gets his forum approval. I'll also have him fill out the Bugtracker.

Zakilevo

Re: Archers Without Range
« Reply #1: May 02, 2014, 01:16:10 AM »
A SPECIAL UNIT! SO DECEPTIVE! THEY ARE INFANTRY IN DISGUISE!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 02, 2014, 03:12:51 AM »
Long story short, it seems Sven (Talerium) has no range at all on his archers.
http://i.imgur.com/fcb6Kt9.png?1

I wanted to post this here to expedite his issue until he gets his forum approval. I'll also have him fill out the Bugtracker.

I'd guess that this is his starting unit. I can easily believe there is still a bug with the random range on starting archers that can let it be 0.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #3: May 02, 2014, 04:11:51 AM »
I mean, arrows are stabbing implements too.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 02, 2014, 05:28:32 AM »
I'd guess that this is his starting unit. I can easily believe there is still a bug with the random range on starting archers that can let it be 0.

When I created my character Cathan, the starting archer unit did not display range but it still fired from 2 or 3 ranks away (I don't recall which).

Eirikr, has Sven been in a battle yet?
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Eirikr

« Reply #5: May 02, 2014, 05:36:06 AM »
When I created my character Cathan, the starting archer unit did not display range but it still fired from 2 or 3 ranks away (I don't recall which).

Eirikr, has Sven been in a battle yet?

Yes, at least once. I believe his "archers" never fired. I didn't see the battle report, but I'm sure he can post it when he gets his access. (Waiting on him to tell me his username now.)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 02, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »
I wanted to post this here to expedite his issue until he gets his forum approval.
I have approved his forum account.

I'll also have him fill out the Bugtracker.
Always a good idea. That way the issue gets registered, and can eventually be tracked down and fixed.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Andre

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 02, 2014, 07:41:39 PM »
To be more exact ive been in battle twice, i did get some nice stuff from the first one though, even though my men didnt fire a single shot  :D. 51% condition +2 prestige book. But yes i cant see any range on my archers, i am going to recruit more men now though, so maybe i can be more useful in battle other than charge at the enemy and then not even reach them before they all die... with archers.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 02, 2014, 08:45:52 PM »
To be more exact ive been in battle twice, i did get some nice stuff from the first one though, even though my men didnt fire a single shot  :D. 51% condition +2 prestige book. But yes i cant see any range on my archers, i am going to recruit more men now though, so maybe i can be more useful in battle other than charge at the enemy and then not even reach them before they all die... with archers.

If you recruit more men, your range will be some weighted average of your current range and the range of those you recruit. You may be better off ditching these men and recruiting a whole new unit if you can get the finances .
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Andre

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 02, 2014, 08:52:37 PM »
If you recruit more men, your range will be some weighted average of your current range and the range of those you recruit. You may be better off ditching these men and recruiting a whole new unit if you can get the finances .
Right now i have 123 gold and 100 in bonds, so i think ill do that if i can, i want units that actualy do something else than try to stab with arrows

Eirikr

« Reply #10: May 03, 2014, 05:41:03 AM »
Right now i have 123 gold and 100 in bonds, so i think ill do that if i can, i want units that actualy do something else than try to stab with arrows

Or get them killed by the ice trolls and get a new unit after; efficiency and all.

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 11, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
Didnt want to open new topic so ill just ask here. Is it just me or mass archer armies just clean up everything. Cvarly and Infantry just get mowed down in couple of turns before they even reach the archers. They seem too powerful and everyone is making their armies archer heavy now.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 11, 2014, 09:42:29 PM »
Didnt want to open new topic so ill just ask here. Is it just me or mass archer armies just clean up everything. Cvarly and Infantry just get mowed down in couple of turns before they even reach the archers. They seem too powerful and everyone is making their armies archer heavy now.
Every army composition has its strengths and weaknesses. I can promise you mass archer armies have many weaknesses.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Andre

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 11, 2014, 10:35:52 PM »
Love mass archer armies in other games, although i cant see archer armies moving down cavarly... cavarly usualy would reach the archers faster than the archer can kill in other games.
Also really enjoying the game so far.

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: May 11, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »
Every army composition has its strengths and weaknesses. I can promise you mass archer armies have many weaknesses.

I once led a such army. Trust me. It sounds good in theory(mowing your enemies down before they reach you), but in reality, you are pretty much gambling for good weather. Also, having one type dominate your entire army limits your tactical flexibility and can easily be countered by your enemies.