Author Topic: Leaders of Beluaterra  (Read 26164 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Leaders of Beluaterra
« Reply #45: May 30, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »
All the long lasting rulers are like that.

Well...that's because taking risks is, well, risky. Inherently.

In essence, all you're saying is "being cautious and avoiding situations that are likely to lead to risk of death means you're less likely to die." Which is pretty much obvious. And there's nothing we can do about it, because it's sort of part of the way the universe works.

Yeah, we could add more random "you didn't take enough risks, so you get zapped out of a clear blue sky" type dangers, but those don't actually hold much deterrent power—plus, they suck really hard.

So, yes: the rulers who last a long time are going to be the rulers who go for the safe option, rather than the fun option, every time. Forever.

Find me a way to bend the very laws of probability so that taking fun risks is safe, and doing boring safe things is risky, and I'll use it make BattleMaster way more fun. (And then you'll get the Nobel Prize for figuring out how to do magic! ;D )
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan