Author Topic: Continue Hunt  (Read 2693 times)

doff87

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Continue Hunt
« Topic Start: May 10, 2014, 05:00:40 AM »
Title: Continue Hunt

Summary: Ever felt annoyed that you forgot to copy down the coordinates of our Adventurer's last hunt?  This feature would eliminate the constant need to record where your adventurer last fought in order to continue fighting monsters/undead.  A choice under quest would be entitled 'Continue Hunt' which would automatically select the monster type (Monster/Undead) and fill in the group # and coordinates of the monsters, but still allow for selection of risk similar to how it is now.

Details:  As of right now it's somewhat tedious for adventurers to continually pursue the same group of monsters.  Adventurer's lack scribes and you cannot send in-game letters to yourself thus, in order to carry on with the same group of monsters, an external source has to be used.  I currently have a 50 e-mail long conversation with myself in g-mail full one line coordinate/group number hunts.  While it seems that the current system is meant to improve interactions between adventurers it often just leads to sporadic one liner in game letters full of gibberish alphanumeric sets.

Naturally continue hunt could only be used if the adventurer was able to continue the hunt in a reasonable amount of time.

Benefits: Would simply make the adventurer bread and butter more user friendly and streamlined.  There's no need to keep some sort of log detailing your latest expedition.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: Somewhat discourages the current (un?)intentional system that promotes cooperation.  To be fair, however, I think the current mechanics discourages cooperation in any case and hunting alone is preferable for mid to late game adventurers in nearly all aspects.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Continue Hunt
« Reply #1: May 10, 2014, 09:20:17 AM »
I haven't had this problem because when I'm hunting, after each fight that I win, there's a link to search for the next largest group. If I get defeated, I call it quits and just pass the link on to the other adventurers in the area.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 10, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »
What if you run out of time?  That's the problem I had. I usually sent the link to everyone in the area.

I actually would support some kind of link tracking for adventurers. Like a last hunt link on their status page, or something.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 10, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »
I've got several ideas for how to improve adventurer hunts, and this sounds at least similar to one of them, but none of them are going to get done before the War Improvements Package is finished, I'm afraid.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

SaDiablo

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 10, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »
I've got several ideas for how to improve adventurer hunts, and this sounds at least similar to one of them, but none of them are going to get done before the War Improvements Package is finished, I'm afraid.

Does this mean that a realm that has lost the defensive abilities of a Region will not regain the walls the next day in that improvement package? 

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 10, 2014, 09:45:07 PM »

Does this mean that a realm that has lost the defensive abilities of a Region will not regain the walls the next day in that improvement package?

a) I'm not sure what you mean, due to slightly confusing phrasing
b) Isn't that a different subject, deserving of its own topic? ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #6: June 07, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »
I'll just toss in this makeshift idea I've started using, that seems to be working quite well (with one advy, in one fairly active realm)

Since there aren't always other advies around, I send reports to the region lord, and RP a few lines while I'm at it about the problems he's having, what a wonderful guy I am for dealing with them, etc. Get's a little more interaction going, and unless you're in a rogue region, there's always someone it makes sense to send the link to (even though they can't use it)

I also send Investigation reports so I can remember later what to go after. Obviously you don't want to  spam any one lord, but gives an additional way to handle this problem & boosts RP

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 08, 2014, 12:35:20 AM »
I simply copy/paste the cordinates into a notepad on my desktop to use later when I come back to the hunt. i have a notepad file called 'monster location'

If I am too fatigued after a hunt--and I time it right-- I can sometimes rest a little and am able to get another one or two groups-worth out of a hunt.
"...Together We Stand, Divided We Fall!..." -- 'Hey You', Pink Floyd