Author Topic: War Island Realm Flavours  (Read 27731 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: War Island Realm Flavours
« Reply #15: May 17, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
I don't know if we're the biggest, there are 8 of us, but that's not a small number for something that hasn't even started.

As for the Imperator Maleficis, it doesn't actually mean Evil Emperor, it means, literally, Generally Mischievous. Which is not evil, of course.

Mm, fair enough. (Though Google Translate gives "magic" for "maleficis", and some other Latin resources don't think it's a word at all. And I'm also not at all sure that your male and female titles are actually the masculine and feminine versions of the same thing.)

Also, if my Latin's not good enough to tell the difference between "maleficis" and "maleficus", I think it's a relatively safe bet that a significant percentage of the playerbase will just take one look at the title and think "evil emperor." And another significant percentage just won't know what they're looking at, because most Americans don't actually learn Latin. (My Latin is thin and quite rusty, but at least there's something there ;D )
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan