Author Topic: Federation Soup  (Read 7966 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Federation Soup
« Topic Start: May 19, 2014, 11:01:38 PM »
I suggest the nature of federations needs to change.  I have two suggestions:

1. A realm can only be federated with one other realm.

2. Diplomatic relations for federated realms are all the same- if one federated realm wishes to go to war with someone, the other must as well.
I don't really think that either of these needs to happen. (Although I admit that the second suggestion is interesting. It has its own problems, though. Like: Who determines the state of the relationship?)

First: Federations allow a group of small realms to play the big game. I wouldn't want to restrict the flexibility to the extent that two-realm federations would do.

Second: I think that the act of federating may need to be more transitive, and far-looking when signed. It needs to do a recursive look at relationships when accepting a new federation partner. If it is possible, through the new relationships that a federation will create, to trace a Federated-or-Aligned path to someone with a War or Hatred status, the federation should be impossible, regardless of the distance of that relationship. This restriction already applies, but I don't think it looks far enough when accepting new partners into an existing federation. We had a situation on EC where Perdan was allied to Westmoor and at war with Ibladesh, while Ibladesh and Westmoor were Federated. There's a bug about it on the bugtracker somewhere... If these relationships were further traced out to look for conflicts, then this kind of thing would not happen.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.