Author Topic: The War of Thalmarkin... Supremacy?  (Read 63760 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: The War of Thalmarkin... Supremacy?
« Reply #150: August 26, 2014, 11:08:57 PM »
What is truth and what is a lie varies depending on your point of view. It's easy enough to accept something that you want to hear as the truth, when you don't feel especially motivated to look too closely. When it's your buddy saying something about someone you don't especially like, that motivation isn't very strong. Situational morality is the name of the game. And yeah, sometimes people are willing to accept that someone stretched the truth, is that stretching benefits them. And, sometimes, they just don't give a damn.

This isn't limited to the current situation on BT. (Of which I know very little, to tell the truth.) This is a common thread across the entire game. We just had a situation on EC where two people from different realms (let's call them Alice and Bob) were debating the actions of a third person from yet a third realm (who we'll refer to as Zack). "Alice" liked "Zack". She thought his actions were perfectly justified and acceptable, and went to great lengths to explain why. "Bob" thought "Zack" was a scumbag. He thought Zack's actions were dishonorable and reprehensible, and had a very thorough argument to explain why. Same action, two viewpoints, two different conclusions. (And then "Charlie" checked in with "I don't give a damn, I just want to fight the war!")

Who's right? I dunno. Doesn't matter. They are both entitled to their opinions. Coming onto the forums and going non-linear about how you're the only one who's right, and everyone else involved is a dishonest, lying shyster who kicks puppies down the street and ties kittens to clotheslines by their tails doesn't do anyone any good. It just makes everyone defensive and hostile. It generates OOC bad feelings between players.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.