Author Topic: Future of Dwilight  (Read 19093 times)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Future of Dwilight
« Reply #15: June 23, 2014, 07:00:23 AM »
I think once again, you got me wrong. Luria beaten or not, i do not really care. Neither is Asylon. I was too short a period in both realms before all this happened. But the whole continent as a whole. Even on a winning side, are you actually really enjoying the game?
Actually I do. This game rocks. I've only started playing less than two months ago so I'm not spoiled by grognard syndrome yet. :)
No one in the continent is trying to make it more interesting or make it more controversial. Everyone is trying to go for the best path that you won't lose.
I guess I see what you mean.
But suggesting that players should intentionally make poor decisions is not an effective solution. The only way to change this situation is to change the rules.
And I think DMs will come up with new mechanics like realm attrition to add a drop of entropy into the mix. Monster invasion and ice age are a good start anyway.

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 23, 2014, 10:57:43 AM »
Snrk.

How do you know that what you're proposing wouldn't make it more boring for everyone else, and only interesting for you? I'm quite enjoying how things are going and would actually love a period of peace on Dwilight.

Yes, you are right. Hence I am bringing up this topic. I always believe it is a collective effort to make it fun for everyone, yet the rulers seem to have the final say, and this is what i am trying to bring up. That is also why I wanna know what those in the 'winning' realms are feeling, though there are no such thing as winning in BM, only having fun. What realm are you in? If it is true that your realm is fun, i am more than glad to head over there.

Actually I do. This game rocks. I've only started playing less than two months ago so I'm not spoiled by grognard syndrome yet. :)I guess I see what you mean.
But suggesting that players should intentionally make poor decisions is not an effective solution. The only way to change this situation is to change the rules.
And I think DMs will come up with new mechanics like realm attrition to add a drop of entropy into the mix. Monster invasion and ice age are a good start anyway.

Yes, you are right again. I am not exactly suggesting poor decisions. But in a way collective and the will as well as effort to try to make it fun for everyone. I think to expect the mods to help out is not a good idea. It has been discussed previously. It is still up to us to make it fun for all of us. Hence, I am hoping that the rulers can somehow among themselves always make their best effort to make the game and relations more dynamic. Any suggestions would be lovely, and i have more than a dozen if you guys are interested to listen or consider :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 23, 2014, 03:15:36 PM »
If you have suggestions for ways to make things better, then by all means suggest them. But when you do, remember that just because you suggest something does not in any way obligate people to use/implement your suggestions.

Also, make sure that when you suggest things, that the suggestions allow people to act in accordance with their character's RP and motivations. Too many times people make suggestions that would require characters to act against their entire concept and ongoing RP. Things like "Astrum should ally with Asylon, then betray Morek and attack them! That would roxxorz!" are just ridiculously unlikely, and so disjointed that it would piss off way more people than would think it was fun. (This should be self-evident, as if that many people thought it would be fun, then they would already have done it.)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 23, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »
Ugh, damn hippies :P

Look, I understand that being on the receiving end of a beatdown is not the most enjoyable way to spend your time, but then again, this is a game about medieval politics and warfare, not a tea party. Compare it to playing a board game, there's always going to be losers and winners, but that doesn't mean playing the game isn't fun.

And to be honest, when I see someone complain about 'fun' and 'enjoying' it's almost always someone from a realm that's being beaten up. Like I said, stop taking yourselves so seriously all the time, and you'll find you'll enjoy this game a lot better, even if you're currently being crushed like an ant.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 23, 2014, 03:23:45 PM »
And I think DMs will come up with new mechanics like realm attrition to add a drop of entropy into the mix.
There are really no GMs/DMs active in the game. We have a dev team, but the dev team has a hands-off policy. We do not intervene in the game in any way. If the players want something to happen, then they have to make it happen on their own.

There are two notable exceptions:

1) On very rare occasions, the dev team has intervened to implement some extensive game-wide change, such as the recent partial freezing of islands, and the Dark Tidings that reshaped the EC map about ... 8 1/2 years ago. (You can search for that on the wiki, if you're interested.)

2) BT has had regular monster invasions, the last several of which have been led by volunteer GMs.

But in any case, the dev team does not intervene to due to any political situations or IC events, or to shape the development of events or realms.

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 23, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »
If you have suggestions for ways to make things better, then by all means suggest them. But when you do, remember that just because you suggest something does not in any way obligate people to use/implement your suggestions.

Also, make sure that when you suggest things, that the suggestions allow people to act in accordance with their character's RP and motivations. Too many times people make suggestions that would require characters to act against their entire concept and ongoing RP. Things like "Astrum should ally with Asylon, then betray Morek and attack them! That would roxxorz!" are just ridiculously unlikely, and so disjointed that it would piss off way more people than would think it was fun. (This should be self-evident, as if that many people thought it would be fun, then they would already have done it.)

That is the thing, you already took off all the options, sort of. Being crazy and making weird decisions are what made it fun. I will stop debating with you about that. I already proved my point in Beluaterra, I will not say this here again.

Ugh, damn hippies :P

Look, I understand that being on the receiving end of a beatdown is not the most enjoyable way to spend your time, but then again, this is a game about medieval politics and warfare, not a tea party. Compare it to playing a board game, there's always going to be losers and winners, but that doesn't mean playing the game isn't fun.

And to be honest, when I see someone complain about 'fun' and 'enjoying' it's almost always someone from a realm that's being beaten up. Like I said, stop taking yourselves so seriously all the time, and you'll find you'll enjoy this game a lot better, even if you're currently being crushed like an ant.

And you see, you are not reading my posts. I enjoy playing for the underdogs and i have always joined the underdogs. That is more fun for me and i NEVER complained about that. I will also stop explaining to you. Read my previous posts.

It seems that this forum is full of flamers who just wants to go out and flame others like kids instead of contributing. Maybe i should stop coming here. You guys enjoy being lonely anyway. :p

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 23, 2014, 06:01:20 PM »
That is the thing, you already took off all the options, sort of. Being crazy and making weird decisions are what made it fun.
So the only way that the game can be fun for you is if people make decisions that break their character's RP and motivations, and make absolutely no sense within the context of the game itself?

Doing crazy and weird things is one way for some people to have fun. I suggest that if that's your style, that you either look for a realm that does those kinds of things, or find a bunch of similar-minded people and make a realm that does that. Some number of realms have had success with that. Expecting everyone to play that way on a regular basis? Probably not going to happen.

It seems that this forum is full of flamers who just wants to go out and flame others like kids instead of contributing.
I asked you for your suggestions. If you instead refuse to provide them, and just complain about non-existent flames ... well, that's your choice.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 23, 2014, 08:40:01 PM »
Dwilight is still fun.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Sophiina

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: June 23, 2014, 08:43:54 PM »

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: June 23, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »
No one in the continent is trying to make it more interesting or make it more controversial. Everyone is trying to go for the best path that you won't lose.

Yes, we have been through that discussion numerous times. But I can't help but tell it here again. Please leaders, especially of Morek and Astrum. Please make this continent a little bit more fun. I am close to quitting this continent, not that any of you really give a damn anyway by the kind of response i actually got.

Enoch is still kicking around, so you can't say no one is trying. He's lost the rulership of Swordfell and been banned, precisely for going against the safe and easy (boring) path, but I was able to inject a little bit of drama into an otherwise mute Swordfell.

Making an interesting character requires readiness to accept failure. Only dire struggle is really interesting, and in a game where people don't want to let go of their sandcastles.. they miss out because they aren't willing to take risk. Makes me sad for them, but doesn't mean I can't have fun. Maybe it'll rub off on someone eventually.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:11:51 AM by Dishman »
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: June 24, 2014, 01:43:13 AM »
To reply on OP:

First, Luria is hardly the underdog. Barca got control of a duchy of Luria's that was starved. In the mean time, Luria has jumped to 62, although now its down to 50. Sure its fighting an alliance of 3 realms, but none of those realms have massive armies whereas Luria does. They have a new general who doesn't seem to be making the best decisions (most recently attacking a region with the defenders having twice your combat strength) but you can't call a realm an underdog because of poor leadership.

Second, if Swordfell wanted to join the war to make the easiest win for them, its hard to say that attacking Luria is obviously the best decision considering Luria has a much larger army and is right next to them. The Southern League is not right next to Swordfell so they cant help a ton for defending Swordfell nor would they be able to attack them much if Swordfell sided with Luria.

Lastly, Swordfell hasn't done anything but get a new ruler thus far so it seems odd to say they sided with the Southern League all of a sudden.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: June 24, 2014, 02:28:11 AM »
I asked you for your suggestions. If you instead refuse to provide them, and just complain about non-existent flames ... well, that's your choice.

Okay, lets turn it around. How do you suggest making it more fun? Or rather what are you doing in-game now to make it more fun? I would like to listen to the other side of the story.

Enoch is still kicking around, so you can't say no one is trying. He's lost the rulership of Swordfell and been banned, precisely for going against the safe and easy (boring) path, but I was able to inject a little bit of drama into an otherwise mute Swordfell.

Yeah, i did notice that. It was a good one, but notice how the people reacted to it. As of continent wide? Like for instance, instead of being angry at Swordfell, Astrum and Morek doesn't seem to be doing anything. Is that really OOC or IC you might ask? I did try to do a few things when i was in Morek some time ago, and lets just say i felt being treated unfairly almost OOCly.

First, Luria is hardly the underdog.

That, is mostly IC info that i can't disclose here. But you will be surprised.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: June 24, 2014, 02:37:00 AM »
Okay, lets turn it around. How do you suggest making it more fun? Or rather what are you doing in-game now to make it more fun? I would like to listen to the other side of the story.

He is not in Dwilight.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: June 24, 2014, 02:42:00 AM »

Uh-uh. You're the one who complained that it was a problem. That means you don't get to insist that other people make suggestions until you've made some decent ones yourself, or come straight out and admitted that you don't have a clue what would improve things.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #29: June 24, 2014, 02:50:09 AM »
I still think calling Luria Nova an underdog is laughable. At the start of this war, they had 4 huge duchies, more members in their realm than in any other realm - almost double the average number of members, and a massive army. They were fighting the Southern League... which consisted of a realm with no regions (Barca), a realm with a middling, slow-to-respond army (Fissoa), and a realm that couldn't find its ass with both hands without committee approval first (D'hara).

Three tiny midgets took on a giant, but that doesn't make the giant an underdog.