Author Topic: Giving back in-game mentors  (Read 5613 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Giving back in-game mentors
« Reply #15: July 11, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »
Rules could probably be set up to avoid that kind of thing. I imagine that questions like "what formation should I use for this battle coming up in Troyes would probably be something that shouldn't be answered. Or, rather, the response should be something like: "We aren't supposed to give specific tactical advice, but here's some information on unit settings and formations in general..."

It needs to be made clear that the channel is a meta channel about the game, not about what moves to make IC/IG. i.e.: You can tell people what a unit formation is, what the different types are, and point them to the wiki article on unit formations. But you shouldn't tell them that for the coming battle, they need to be front/aggressive/box. That kind of inquiry should be referred to the people in their realm for help.

If this channel is abused, then reports can be filed, and action taken against the abusers.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Giving back in-game mentors
« Reply #16: July 11, 2014, 08:27:53 PM »
i see usefulness of island-wide communication only to allow mentors for students who have no mentors in their own realm, but relationship should stay one-on-one.

i always saw idea of mentor to coach player's introduction, to allow some specific question, but not to give answer to each and every specific button-level question.

most of my time at mentorship i was encouraging players to browse wiki manuals rather than ask each and every question. of course, there are some more complex question that need good explanation, but it was rarely seen that player unwilling to learn some basic stuff by reading manual is the one who will be hooked by the game.