Author Topic: Giask - A Compilation  (Read 2905 times)

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Giask - A Compilation
« Topic Start: August 04, 2014, 07:17:06 AM »
Giask - Part III - I
Revealed Secrets - Or the man who could heal the world

"For if a man by magical arts and sacrifices will bring down the moon, and darken the sun, and induce storms, or fine weather, I should not believe that there was anything divine, but human, in these things, provided the power of the divine were overpowered by human knowledge and subjected to it." - Hippocrates

Henrich was sitting at the table with his hosts for another enjoyable evening. That rich merchant had a special taste for music and arts and the former Duke enjoyed his presence, spending long hours with him discussing abstractions. A flutist played nice notes and the dinner was appetizing. Before dessert is served, one of the guests finally showed his mischievous curiosity.

Guest: "You mentioned in other discussions about the ways of your Cult..."

Henrich Eyolf: "Yes, of course. The Science of Transmutations, introduced by Lady Ven and the Role of Sacrifice, introduced by Sir Graeth..."

Guest: "Excuse my rudeness... but you never introduced your own way?"

Henrich Eyolf: "Don't worry with your curiosity -- she's the capricious lady who guide our paths. As a Tongue of the Prophecies, I was initiated at the Science of Transmutations and I understand the Role of Sacrifice, however my specialty has always been the exploration of the unknown, dispersing the shadows of ignorance and bringing light where there was darkness."

Guest: "Then... nothing special!?"

Henrich Eyolf: "Special, unh!? Like raise the dead, cover the sun with a shadow and turn day into night or just turn ordinary metals into gold? - and he paused as they spread the laughter around the table - No. Nothing special. There are many secrets in this world and a true understanding of the magic universe is the way to control the forces of nature. What you call 'special' or magic, I call knowledge and wisdom. I never seriously thought about it, but maybe I created the Path of Spiritual Healing. When I was a child, my father realized the essential difference between us: he was a hero of Ikalak, a warrior like many others in my family. He cultivated the ideal of a good death and the joy of a honored battle, but I was more concerned with books and teachings of my mentors. I was especially interested in learning about the mysteries of healing. I saw bones being put in place, members being  amputated and all kinds of combat injury. This interest grew when I had access to the books of King Yeux Serpentis while I was Duke of the Carrion Corvidae. He was Grand Druid of Avalon, a lost kingdom in Beluaterra and after that, Great Maharshi of the Bloodspeakers. His books contain a vast range of information and recipes. Potions, poisons, treatments and sympathies. My position also allowed to collect all kinds of medical information from the Eastern courts and you would be amazed at how the elves live there and how their techniques are different..."

Guest: "Then, you're a healer? We have many healers..."

Henrich Eyolf: "Of course you have. However, they are not able to cure beyond the body. They ignore the power of mind over body and how faith can be used to save a man. The body can not survive without the mind and a man who witnessed the horrors of war and had his mind shattered into pieces is more useless than a cripple, for he is already dead, but the real death is denied him. But if you know the right processes to heal the mind, a man will never fear the enemy spears and swords, 'cause they can bleed his flesh, but never his faith. A man tortured will resist the pain inflicted by his captors, 'cause his mind knows how to ignore the wounds and his faith knows that the physical sufferings means nothing to the soul of the righteous."

Guest: "So, you intend to cure the world with... wisdom!?"

Henrich Eyolf: "Untroubled, scornful, outrageous - that is how wisdom wants us to be: she is a woman and never loves anyone but a warrior. This is what my father used to say. I don't intend to save the world, since the world have little value while its people is blind. I'm here to unveil the mysteries, remove the blindfold and let the people save themselves, so they can save their world."

They kept talking, eating and enjoying the illustrious visitor and only when Henrich expressed a desire to leave, one of the guests came for a private conversation. He was a local noble, a wealthy man with important connections in Giask and that until then saw Henrich as just a fool priest trying to sell his faith -- or worse, a homeless spy taking advantage of the hospitality of Luria and Asylon to foment riots. However, desperation had won the battle.

Guest: "I heard about your magical cures. The young ladies are delighted with your love potions. The mothers say that you heal their children and the elders compliment you for give them some relief after a life struggling against the pain. This is true?"

Henrich Eyolf: "There may be some exaggeration, but I studied many arts and medical procedures. So, yes, this is true..."

Guest: "My firstborn is still young... I was teaching him to ride and he fell from his horse. Since then he's stuck in bed. He is suffering with hallucinations and the doctors say he was possessed by evil spirits... he ... he will be useless for military service... or any service. His tongue curls, he squirms, shaking and sweating. I always tried to be a good man! Why the gods had to punish me this way? I didn't trust you, but if you can save my beloved son, I will give you all the wealth I possess!"

The High Priest saw the tears of a concerned father. A man without masks when life imposed him a great punishment. The despair of feeling guilty for bringing the tragedy to his own son.

Henrich Eyolf: "Don't worry about gold... I will save your son."
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!